Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTX 680 - Poor Performance, looking for tips.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
GTX 680 - Poor Performance, looking for tips.

OwenBrooks
01.19.2013 , 08:51 PM | #31
I find the same performance with a single GTX670 but I run the game at 2048 x 1152.

xxpcwizardxx
01.19.2013 , 10:22 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Have you disabled the windows pagefile if your playing on a SSD ?, that will likely ruin the SSD faster by writing more times then it needs.
if your worry about your SSD and you place the game on it i would also use swotr unleashed and set to at-least place the disk cache in the ram so there no constant writing

I find the game runs a constant 60 fps when set to fullscreen window mode with the following nvidia settings

under the settings "Adjust Desktop Size and Position
Scale mode: No Scaling with Override the scaling mode set by games and programs ticked

under the settings Mange 3D Settings for program "Game Folder\swtor\retailclient/swtor.exe"
Anisotopic filtering :16x

Maximum Pre-rendered frames: 2 (3 = Default) Note: 2 is in improvement of the default but if you set it to 1 it would be stressful on the cpu and wouldn't be much of improvement

Multi-display/ mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power Management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Triple buffering: On
VSyn: On

rest on default
May The Force Be With You.

Tazak
01.20.2013 , 12:29 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Try to disable Ambient Occlusion on a driver level. TOR's dynamic shadow system already does AO in a way and looks better, in my opinion.

I'm running the game fine above 100-111FPS virtually all the time at 1920x1080 with 4xSGSAA forced via Nvidia Inspector (in-game FSAA disabled as SGSAA looks so much better) on my dual GTX 680 4GB in SLi with Ambient Occlusion disabled. If I force it on a driver level, the performance dips to 30-70FPS.

Of course, my system is slightly beefier overall than yours, so that could also play into the equation. And you may be running a higher resolution than me, too, which of course will cost performance.

Be sure to play the game with Vsync off as well, the GTX 680 doesn't seem to like running TOR with Vsync enabled at all. Oddly enough, even running with it off doesn't cause tearing in this game for me.
When you say, "force it on a driver level," where would I go to disable it? I've had it on / off through Nvidia Inspector and both change nothing about my performance. I also run the game at 1920 x 1080.

Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
So you have issues playing in-game or is it simply the fps reading you are getting in-game ?
I get a very VISIBLE framerate drop in SWTOR, and SWTOR alone.
*Pops Flare*
Koos - 50 Jedi Sentinel (Ajunta Pall RP-PVP [Server First 50])

#4863#

Tazak
01.21.2013 , 05:38 PM | #34
I tried calling customer support three to see if anything at all could be done. Of course, the guy on the phone couldn't really help me other than saying to e-mail their tech team with a DXDiag of the launcher. I didn't expect to get much of an answer back... and I was right. I the same FREAKING robot answer that probably everyone gets saying to: make sure your drivers are up to date, maybe your RAM is bad if you are crashing, and we don't have an ETA on specific performance increases sorry.

I just want to freaking play PvP at a decent framerate, even if it's on the lowest settings. =[
*Pops Flare*

#4863#

Scoff
01.21.2013 , 05:45 PM | #35
guys its not about graphic cards i test it with mixing systems and. i have gtx560ti and Amd Phenom II x6 1075 with 8 gb ram = with this system i have massive fps drops.i try'd with INTEL Core i5-3470 3.2GHz LGA1155 , Radeon hd 6850 = with this system i have 90+fps never drops after too many mixing i found problem on Amd Phenom II x6 so its cpu problem can we solve this ? i dont want to buy new cpu

Tazak
01.21.2013 , 07:33 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
guys its not about graphic cards i test it with mixing systems and. i have gtx560ti and Amd Phenom II x6 1075 with 8 gb ram = with this system i have massive fps drops.i try'd with INTEL Core i5-3470 3.2GHz LGA1155 , Radeon hd 6850 = with this system i have 90+fps never drops after too many mixing i found problem on Amd Phenom II x6 so its cpu problem can we solve this ? i dont want to buy new cpu
Maybe it is the CPU... I do have a first generation i7, kind of wanted to upgrade soon anyways. Maybe I could swap processors with a friend and see if anything happens..
*Pops Flare*

#4863#

Kinado
01.27.2013 , 02:15 PM | #37
SWTOR gave me A LOT of trouble to make it run perfectly 60+FPS constant and without jaggies but I eventually made it!

My system spec is:
windows 7 64 bit
gtx 680 SC
i5 2500K @ 4.3

I play at 1920x1080p with a 120hz monitor. Everything is maxed besides in-game AA, Anisotropic Filtering and Vsync which are turned OFF. Now that you know with what I play you can adjust the settings to your liking comparing to mine.

Got Jaggies all over the place? Sudden FPS drops where there shouldn't be none? Turning your camera makes the game "skip" a few frames giving a stutter feeling? Maybe I can help.

I've seen a lot of posts of people with GTX 680 (not only) getting low FPS so I hope this will help them.

1st you need to download and install Nvidia Inspector. Google it if you don't have it already . Open the Star Wars: The Old Republic profile and make sure it looks like this:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2...ainspector.jpg

You can see my nvidia inspector version as my Graphics Card Drivers (310.64) on the top left corner just in case.

_Pay attention to the Anti-aliasing compatibility as the flag for it isn't the same you ll find with a quick search for SGSSAA. I found this one to be faster for Sparse Grid Supersampling (SGSSAA): 0x000012C1 .

_ 4x [4x Multisampling] with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling makes SWTOR look like a constant screenshot, with absolutely NO JAGGIES. Looks amazing and i m a graphics kind of guy.

_Anisotropic Filtering is set at 8x but you can set it at 16x, I just prefered the extra FPS boost 8x gave me since visually there is little difference.

_Texture Filtering LOD BIAS at: -1.000 . It will make the game's texture look shiny, as if it was reflecting the environment. Specially heavy plate armors look great with this. If you put at -3.000 it will be a shiny festival but it costs more performance also. -1.000 looks great.

_Set the Texture Filtering Negative LOD bias to: ALLOW to let all the shiny happen

_One VERY IMPORTANT setting that I found that "saved" my FPS was Maximum pre-rendered frames set to: 1.
I played with great FPS in the fleets full of people and in warzones, but some zones like dormund Kaas and Voss( didn t try more places), my FPS went from 100+ to +/- 30 in some places. Very strange, makes me think the game is very poorly optimized. Setting the max pre-rendered frames to 1 fixed that for me.

_Force Vsync OFF just to make sure. I've read it causes people problems and the tearing without it is almost non existing.

_Also triple buffering Off since you won't be using Vsync to start with.

_After you applied your settings don't forget th Press the Green button on the top right corner to "Apply Changes".

Make sure in-game Vsync and Anti-Aliasing is turned off. Go to your SWTOR .ini file located probably at yourusername/Appdata/Local/SWTOR/settings. You might have to make it show hidden folders to see the Appdata folder. Select client_settings ini and delete any anti-aliasing line if you have any.

I also made my swtor.exe to run under compatibility with windows XP SP 3, don t know if it makes any difference but since I made that change a while ago, doesn't hurt to try and do the same.

Make sure you try my exact same nvidia inspector settings as it's easy to overlook one setting and screws your whole FPS'. If the 4x AA is too much try a little less but with anything less jaggies will show in a 1080p resolution.

It took me a long time to make this game run perfectly fluid and with amazing visuals without any F*IN JAGGIES FFS!!! Made me quit my subscription before because I wasn't able to pull it off, now I did it so I subscribed again. The game is great and if you can make it work as I did, your gameplay and graphics will be amazing. Good luck and enjoy.

PS: I also use a program to cap my FPS to 61. The name is Dxtory . Download it, install it, on the Advanced tab ( 8th from the left i think), choose the FPS you want to limit SWTOR.exe to. You can choose the swtor.exe from the dropdown menu on top.

Kinado
01.27.2013 , 02:16 PM | #38
made a copy paste of my post to see if it helps you. good luck mate

Muedy
02.05.2013 , 10:49 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinado View Post
The Old Republic profile and make sure it looks like this:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2...ainspector.jpg
Link sadly not working

edit: nvm, found the original post , where the link is fine

Copman
02.05.2013 , 11:32 AM | #40
Are you running any programs in the background that might be contributing to the issue? I have an older video card (ATI Radeon 5870) and noticed it was stuttering a bit while questing. I turn off BOINC whenever I play now and it's smooth as silk @ 1920x1080 and everything on High or better settings. System is an i7 @ 2.8GHz with 12GB RAM