Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

Slowpokeking
01.19.2013 , 01:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Zeratho View Post
I seriously doubt that. Sauron was one of the Maiar spirits like a demi-god, actually the most powerful one on Middle-Earth at the time of War of the Ring. Sith Lords are just mortal humans/aliens.
And what does Sith Lords have to do with Deathstar? They don't make Deathstar's superlaser any stronger since they are using technology to create it and not the power of the Force.

But to the question asked, no, Deathstar could not destroy The One Ring because it can only be destroyed in the Mount Doom. Sauron extended his own powers into it so it's not just normal fire & lava there. It's filled with Sauron's power.
Nihilus could devour a planet's lives, Palpatine's Force Storm could destroy a fleet in seconds, and Sauron could not even defeat a bunch of human and elves with cold weapon with an army on his hand.

CassusVerda
01.19.2013 , 05:32 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Nihilus could devour a planet's lives, Palpatine's Force Storm could destroy a fleet in seconds, and Sauron could not even defeat a bunch of human and elves with cold weapon with an army on his hand.
Sir...your point?

Stormtroopers couldn't defeat a bunch of Teddy Bears with Sharp Spears and Bows. Boba Fett the best bounty hunter in the Galaxy got knocked in the Sarlacc pit by a Half Blind Man with a Stick. The Deathstar got blown up by a Farmboy with no Combat training. Lando Calrissian was able to fly a FREIGHTER into the tight and narrow Death Star II Tunnel and make it out. The Trade Federation Control Ship got blown up by a kid with no real flight training and no idea what he was doing. Darth Vader got his limbs cut off because he jumped at Obi Wan when he could have simply came from the below. Why?! Cuz George Lucas said so.

You want to know why Sauron didn't win? Cuz F'ing Tolkien DECREED IT!
EBON HAWK
"THE MANDALORIANS"
http://themandalorians.enjin.com/home
Aliit Kohr: Mains: 55 Snip Ba'slan 55 Op AP-XT (Assassin Droid) 55 PT D'Cassus

TheSelkie
01.19.2013 , 07:37 PM | #13
Only mount doom can destroy the ring, that's LOTR canon. If the deathstar blew up middle earth all that would be left is the ring (and the super bad *** Tom Bombadil).

Swissbob
01.19.2013 , 07:57 PM | #14
Love this thread! I even discussed this with my family! (all big LoTR and Star Wars fans)

We all came to the agreement that, no, it cannot "destroy" the ring.

The One Ring cannot be destroyed. It can only be un-made. The only thing that can "un-make" the ring is the fire of Mount Doom. The only way I could think the Death Star could destroy the ring is if, during the explosion of Middle Earth, some lava from Mount Doom hit and dissolved the Ring.

This, of course, is highly unlikely and very unrealistic.
______________________Guild Master____________________
<The Nightmare Legacy><The Horizon Legacy>
_________________The Shadowlands

Scutum
01.19.2013 , 08:06 PM | #15
Based on the lore of LOTR, I don't think the death star could destroy the ring.

It COULD blow up the planet it's on and send it drifting eternally through space though...unless it eventually hits a populated planet and gets rediscovered
<--------------------------------------------------->
"This is all very interesting, but why should I care?"
―Kyle Katarn

Flintfire
01.20.2013 , 08:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by revansowns View Post
My mind falls apart even trying to think about this question. Help me out lol

Holy crap. This is, and not kidding, seriously one of the craziest questions I have ever heard. I give the person who asked it credit for ingenuity. Technically, Death Star couldn't, because it could only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. But, then again, if a space station could focus all of its planet destroying power on such a small object, well, who could say. I doubt Sauron was expecting that when he made it.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 54
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 44
Krrayt Lvl 55 Evisceran Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55

SNCommand
01.20.2013 , 10:36 AM | #17
Well, if the planet gets destroyed it doesn't really matter anymore does it
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Necrosaro
01.20.2013 , 10:47 AM | #18
Doesn't matter if it can destroy it or not, if it blows up the planet then the ring will be tossed through space if it survives. A ring is very very small, the chance that it hits any planet is very very small and it would probably take hundreds if not thousands of years for that to happen if it ever did. Heck it could just as easily fall into a black hole or into a star and get stuck there forever.

Slowpokeking
01.20.2013 , 11:19 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CassusVerda View Post
Sir...your point?

Stormtroopers couldn't defeat a bunch of Teddy Bears with Sharp Spears and Bows. Boba Fett the best bounty hunter in the Galaxy got knocked in the Sarlacc pit by a Half Blind Man with a Stick. The Deathstar got blown up by a Farmboy with no Combat training. Lando Calrissian was able to fly a FREIGHTER into the tight and narrow Death Star II Tunnel and make it out. The Trade Federation Control Ship got blown up by a kid with no real flight training and no idea what he was doing. Darth Vader got his limbs cut off because he jumped at Obi Wan when he could have simply came from the below. Why?! Cuz George Lucas said so.

You want to know why Sauron didn't win? Cuz F'ing Tolkien DECREED IT!
What does these have to do with the might Sith Lords? They showed stronger feat than the Maia.

TheSelkie
01.20.2013 , 04:49 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
What does these have to do with the might Sith Lords? They showed stronger feat than the Maia.
But the strength of various Sith Lords has no bearing on the power of the Death Star? They're completely irrelevant?

LOTR canon states that the one ring can only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. SW canon doesn't claim that the Death Star can destroy anything, so there's no conflict here. It can't destroy the ring.