Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bluntron's Avatar


Bluntron
01.18.2013 , 02:34 PM | #801
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
2 relative flops in the terms of expectations of Star Wars MMOs. I wouldn't hold my breath for another attempt.
They need to make another attempt. Star wars is just too epic to leave alone.

Blizzard should make this attempt. 3rd times the charm
lolol

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
01.18.2013 , 03:33 PM | #802
Sadly Blizzard is the one publisher than really can't, just yet. There are only so many MMO subscribers and WoW still has a huge chunk of them. If Blizzard's new SW MMO was successful, it would come right from WoW's profits.

(At that point SWTOR would have already ended because there's only 1 SW MMO license at a time)
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
01.19.2013 , 03:22 AM | #803
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
do you think it is hate, or lack of understanding why the class is underperforming? or perhaps, they have no idea how to balance the class without fear of making it completely OP.
A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.

Lord_Karsk's Avatar


Lord_Karsk
01.19.2013 , 03:26 AM | #804
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.
As Spock would say, you speak the truth.

LawfulNeutral's Avatar


LawfulNeutral
01.19.2013 , 05:16 AM | #805
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.
I'm honestly impressed by the sheer amount of assumptions you've jammed into one post. So how long have you been working for Bioware again?

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
01.19.2013 , 01:29 PM | #806
Quote: Originally Posted by LawfulNeutral View Post
I'm honestly impressed by the sheer amount of assumptions you've jammed into one post. So how long have you been working for Bioware again?
Are you seriously doubting that the devs have said they think Mercs are OK? Are you seriously doubting that the devs use their ingame stat collection system for game (im)balancing purposes? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. We are now a full year into this game, people have paid over $200 in real money to BW and BW has yet to deliver a viable Merc dps for PvP. That is a FAIL. No amount of pretending that BW has good intentions about Merc dps makes up for that even IF they actually have/had good intentions. Which most people do seriously doubt.

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
01.19.2013 , 01:35 PM | #807
im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they had good intentions. i dont really buy into the conspiracy that the devs hate Merc.

its far more likely that they just dont understand why Merc sucks in a competitive environment. the change to Rocket Punch is highly evident of that. we ask for a root to be added onto the knockback; they give us a root and remove the knockback

until they are willing to admit that, and engage with us in a real discussion on what Merc needs to be competitive, we probably arent going anywhere

AdmiralParmesan's Avatar


AdmiralParmesan
01.19.2013 , 02:01 PM | #808
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.
Sadly I think you are pretty on point here. It seems to be this way for all of the healing class dps trees. Not to merc healing is competitive either, but at least it can be used if in skilled hands
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

Flintfire's Avatar


Flintfire
01.19.2013 , 04:01 PM | #809
You have a point. If you are really good, a mercenary is good. But we are much less versatile than other classes. I think most of us mercs/commandos can agree we can dispatch most classes 1 on 1 short of a guardian/juggernaut tanker. But with PvP, its almost never one on one, because we fight in groups. How often are you close to killing a foe when another player jumps to their rescue. On one or two occasions i have killed two players attacking me at once, but only when one was previously damaged and i can get a concussion missile on the other one to hold them off. We can get stagglers, but we have to become a serious dps class that can be in a serious multiplayer fight rather than picking off a lone player on the edge of a map.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 54
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 44
Krrayt Lvl 55 Evisceran Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55

Bluntron's Avatar


Bluntron
01.19.2013 , 05:41 PM | #810
Quote: Originally Posted by Flintfire View Post
You have a point. If you are really good, a mercenary is good. But we are much less versatile than other classes. I think most of us mercs/commandos can agree we can dispatch most classes 1 on 1 short of a guardian/juggernaut tanker. But with PvP, its almost never one on one, because we fight in groups. How often are you close to killing a foe when another player jumps to their rescue. On one or two occasions i have killed two players attacking me at once, but only when one was previously damaged and i can get a concussion missile on the other one to hold them off. We can get stagglers, but we have to become a serious dps class that can be in a serious multiplayer fight rather than picking off a lone player on the edge of a map.
only classes you can 1v1 as pyro/assault are gunslinger/snipers. Possible ops/scounrdels but only if you can bust them out of stealth before they get their jump on you and can keep your distance from them. Vengence juggs/ and their pub mirror, again only if you can get away from them after they leap on you.

Gunnery/Arsenal have more of a fighting chance if they just plant their feet and face tank anyone in 1v1 (except snipers/gunslingers, inquis and pyro/arsenal mercs/mando)