Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Driod rights.


MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
01.17.2013 , 12:14 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post
please stop turning this into a religion threat befor eagames closes the topic:

This is a topic about star wars driods inside the star wars universe.

The closes thing in star wars to god/allah/allmighty divine is the force.

So please dont bring real life into star wars.

Focus purly on the driods being able to develop sentinance and/or earn the same right as other sentinant being's acording too the rules of star wars not real life.
I never made a religion 'threat'. I was simply making a point. I don't think EA minds. But I understand. Obviously nobody wants this to turn into a discussion/argument about religion. I just felt that the point needed to be made.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
01.17.2013 , 05:41 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeta View Post
IG-88 became a fully-sentient assassin capable of killing its creators within seconds of activation, something he was obviously not programmed for. Some droids can achieve full sentience, so they could get rights I suppose.
Yea, IG-88 was designed to be an assassin droid from the start.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.17.2013 , 06:06 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Yea, IG-88 was designed to be an assassin droid from the start.
An Assassin droid that kicked ***! Without actually kicking it! IG-88 is underappreciated.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Projawa's Avatar


Projawa
01.17.2013 , 07:33 PM | #44
Are droids sentient? There's a Republic quest on Nar Shaddaa where you encounter an astromech droid that has achieved sentience. Can they qualify as living beings? They have a metabolism, can self-repair and adapt in some cases, but they cannot reproduce sexually or asexually. They can only be constructed.

The knight questline on Hoth even suggests that droids may one day become force sensitive. One of the power players on Nar Shaddaa is the DX Annihilator network which is basically a bunch of sentient droids. One of the Grand Hunt Champions is a DX droid who you meet as a bounty hunter. And isn't one of Ardun Kothe's team members a droid? And the trooper has a sentient droid companion.

Since they are sentient, they deserve rights. Just not the same level of rights that organics have. While this might offend some of the traditionalists, look at it pragmatically. It's better to be proactive than face a droid rebellion down the line.

Lodril's Avatar


Lodril
01.17.2013 , 08:20 PM | #45
The real genius of Star Wars droids is that most of them completely end-run the debate and choose to be slaves. For all his highfalutin quibbles, C3P0 wants to translate things, and offers his services in doing so at every opportunity available. R2D2 is a maintenance bot, and wants to 'fix' things; often things beyond his original capacity to address.

For the most part, droids like what they do, which is a condition seldom found among those with true free will. Since the positions we see droids trying to fill are not high-ranked or well-paid, it can be assumed they are motivated simply by job satisfaction. If you were creating an artificial consciousness, and wanted it to clean floors, it makes perfect sense that you would design one that wanted to clean floors, because focus is what would make it good at that task.

Some few may occasionally rise beyond their station, but my guess would be that most droids are happy being servile droids... because they're designed to be happy being servile droids.

MilesTeg_cy's Avatar


MilesTeg_cy
01.18.2013 , 04:12 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSelkie View Post
He doesn't have to have a reason - he has free will. He can simply choose to ignore his conditioning, that's the fundamental difference between conditioning and programming. You can't force a human to do anything. We're conditioned our whole lives to know killing is wrong, but we can still do it, we don't have to "bypass" our conditioning, we can ignore it. My calculator can't ignore it's programming, when I ask it what 2+2 is, it has to say 4.

You say, he was all normal and he killed just bec. he wanted to. OK!
All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Frank Herbert

TheSelkie's Avatar


TheSelkie
01.18.2013 , 07:12 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by MilesTeg_cy View Post
You say, he was all normal and he killed just bec. he wanted to. OK!
Maybe he did just decide to. Maybe not. But you or I, as normal humans could decide to. You could go kill someone now, you don't need a reason to justify it to yourself. We can act illogically.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
01.18.2013 , 03:52 PM | #48
To reverse this discussion and look at it another way, what qualifies someone or something to have sentient rights? Self-awareness? Does that include the mentally retarded? Does that mean that we can/should enslave those who are NOT self-aware? Troubling thought.

Reproduction? Consumption for energy? Breathing? Fire does all these things. This basically degenerates into a discussion of: What is life? We haven't been able to answer that in millenia, I don't think we will answer it here.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

MilesTeg_cy's Avatar


MilesTeg_cy
01.19.2013 , 06:19 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSelkie View Post
Maybe he did just decide to. Maybe not. But you or I, as normal humans could decide to. You could go kill someone now, you don't need a reason to justify it to yourself. We can act illogically.
This contradicts my point of view as you can understand. I say everything has a reason, so he must have a reason for murders. Every serial killer has a pattern and a goal. They want to give a message to the society. They are killing people to punish some other people. No, we can not go kill someone without any reason. If you just stand up, go out and kill someone now, the reason for you to do that will be to prove that you can kill without any reason. But this time even you will have something to prove and this killing you just did will have a purpose.

We act illogically sometimes, that is correct but this is bec. of a malfunction in our "programming". Acting illogically doesn't mean free will.


Quote:
To reverse this discussion and look at it another way, what qualifies someone or something to have sentient rights? Self-awareness? Does that include the mentally retarded? Does that mean that we can/should enslave those who are NOT self-aware? Troubling thought.

Reproduction? Consumption for energy? Breathing? Fire does all these things. This basically degenerates into a discussion of: What is life? We haven't been able to answer that in millenia, I don't think we will answer it here.
Just like to be, or not to be! It is to live or not to live, as you have mentioned. Rights are for living things and it has nothing to do with IQ. Even self awareness is for living things. You have to be organic to be aware of yourself. Other kinds or awareness is nothing different from a digital sensor. It just digitizes the data and may record it, for you, for us. That's all. Droids are tools designed for humans to use them.

But, even a human body is a machine. A machine that is fighting illnesses, fully automated cage to keep your living energy(soul, if you like) in this world we know. If this machine is broken than we can no longer exist on the know existence. This body is like a space suit. We need that suit to live, to continue our existence here. But that "life energy" changes everything. I believe that energy is limitless, but this body has limits and very fragile. If a time comes that you can regenerate all the tissues of your body, than we can talk about immortality. Even then an explosion can tear your body apart and you will have to leave that suit. A droid does not need this. It's every part can be replaced, even its software and memory. Does your car or your refrigerator has rights? So why should a droid have one? (That's a general question )
All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Frank Herbert

MsMalice's Avatar


MsMalice
01.19.2013 , 02:13 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
To reverse this discussion and look at it another way, what qualifies someone or something to have sentient rights? Self-awareness? Does that include the mentally retarded? Does that mean that we can/should enslave those who are NOT self-aware? Troubling thought.

Reproduction? Consumption for energy? Breathing? Fire does all these things. This basically degenerates into a discussion of: What is life? We haven't been able to answer that in millenia, I don't think we will answer it here.
Original thought, self-awareness & intelligence on par with that of a human.
RAYE
<Samurai Pizza Cats>
<Just Relax>