Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free 2 Play is really Free 2 Play

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Free 2 Play is really Free 2 Play

alduin_sith
01.19.2013 , 12:08 PM | #1
Day before yesterday - and I posted this yesterday, but it was removed - i posted a comment about some F2P players that were posting on general chat about how they are running some characters to 50 with a subscription and unlocking all available game play. They then allow their subscription to lapse but have now amounted credits. They will then buy different types of game passes with credits off the GTN. They are then able to play all game play with out having to subscribe. If this is possible, then that it not fair to those that subscribe.

Is something being done about this, Bioware?

Frybert
01.19.2013 , 01:19 PM | #2
I don't see how thats not fair at all. They subscribed, played enough to buy the unlocks, then why shouldn't they be able to get the unlocks and unsubscribe? If you're that much of an elitist that you feel people who don't pay 15 dollars every month no matter what shouldn't be allowed to play, I think you should find a different game. You're right, free to play really does mean free to play. There's nothing wrong with that, and thus, nothing to fix.

alduin_sith
01.19.2013 , 02:44 PM | #3
It is understandable that people like you, probably exploiting the system, will get upset and start to proclaim others as being elitist, which has nothing to do with paying or not paying a subscription. It is pure and simple an exploit as I am sure Bioware did not intend for this to be the way. See, Bioware has to make money somewhere to continue running the servers, producing new content and their workers. If this is the case then how are they to make money? It is the principle of matter in which a subscriber is paying to play is doing so to support those taking advantage of an exploit.

Obviously those who are taking advantage will attack this post, as you have made perfectly clear.

Hyfy
01.19.2013 , 02:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Frybert View Post
I don't see how thats not fair at all. They subscribed, played enough to buy the unlocks, then why shouldn't they be able to get the unlocks and unsubscribe? If you're that much of an elitist that you feel people who don't pay 15 dollars every month no matter what shouldn't be allowed to play, I think you should find a different game. You're right, free to play really does mean free to play. There's nothing wrong with that, and thus, nothing to fix.
While overall I agree with your post in the regards that they are just using the system as its set up, I really wish people would stop with the insufferable "you're an elitist" meme. All it does is make you look like a whiner and play on the "I'm a victim" mentality.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

Hyfy
01.19.2013 , 02:54 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by alduin_sith View Post
"those who are morally ok with taking advantage will attack this post, as you have made perfectly clear."
I think I would reword that just a bit.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

HoboWithAStick
01.19.2013 , 03:19 PM | #6
There is nothing to be done here, this is something that bioware knew could happen and is clearly okay with it. If this wasn't inteneded all weekly unlocks and passes would be bound on pick up. You have to realise that all those unlocks have been somehow bought with real money wether that is through sub or buying cartel coins and bioware doesn't really care how its being done they are making money no matter who is buying them. While I can understand why that would seem odd to you bioware would allow this to happen it is for the good of the game and the players. This gives people that option to stock up on what they need and play the game for free if they have the cash to do so. Cause even though you might not be spending money on the game right now you are still playing the game and chances are you will spend money in the game again or someone else will buy something that you will later buy with in game currency.

Get over it and stop making threads about it.

Eillack
01.19.2013 , 03:39 PM | #7
Woah, OP has issues.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Frybert
01.19.2013 , 03:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by alduin_sith View Post
It is understandable that people like you, probably exploiting the system, will get upset and start to proclaim others as being elitist, which has nothing to do with paying or not paying a subscription. It is pure and simple an exploit as I am sure Bioware did not intend for this to be the way. See, Bioware has to make money somewhere to continue running the servers, producing new content and their workers. If this is the case then how are they to make money? It is the principle of matter in which a subscriber is paying to play is doing so to support those taking advantage of an exploit.

Obviously those who are taking advantage will attack this post, as you have made perfectly clear.
First, people like me? You mean a subscriber? Yep, I'm definitely exploiting the system there! Secondly, this is going EXACTLY like BW wants it. The only way to get Cartel coins is through real life money, either by being a sub or by purchasing them outright. The person who paid that real life money then buys the unlock, and puts it on the market for in game money. Look at the GTN, unlocks have their own drop down menu. Obiously BW wanted people to be able to trade unlocks for in game currency. So who exactly gets the shaft on that? BW gets money from the cartel coins, person who bought cartel coins gets in game money from person needing unlock, and person needing unlock gets said unlock through ingame money. Everybody wins! Except, apparently, you.