Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you use them?.

AussieAlan
01.07.2013 , 11:02 AM | #11
I see, some things to take into consideration, now I wish I hadn't of sold some of the synth stuff,

AlixMV
01.16.2013 , 04:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AussieAlan View Post
Just wondering if anyone actually uses them for something.
Every freaking day.

Almost everyone touched on most of the reasons I do, but I find that if I'm even the slightest overleveled, then the quest rewards can't keep up with me. Neither can the commendation awards.

Example: I'm playing some lowbie characters. I left Coruscant at Level 19. The highest level gear I could buy with comms was Level 15.

How does that help me?

Not to mention that unless you're playing a tank class, it's hard to get the item mods geared for you using comms.

I took Cybertech to start with having no idea what I was doing (I thought it made IC sense for my Cyborg Smuggler), and in hindsight, it was the best 'accident' I could've made. I sell low-level Prototype armoring on the GTN for credits, and use it to keep all my leveling toons geared when the rewards/comms don't cut it. I use Artifice for the Enhancements, Hilts, and Crystals, which are rarer than hen's teeth as a drop in day-to-day play (I had a crystal drop for my Trooper back when she was Level 34, and I realized I was running around with a Level 15 crystal in my gun). I didn't make as much use with Biochem with my Sage while leveling except to have the reusable stim for her, but I'm now using it to make stat-specific Implants for my characters.

And then there's the ability to craft armor /you/ want to wear using Synthweaving or Armormech. There is a lot of really ugly armor in the game, and the ability to make exactly what I want and not have to depend on the whims of people overcharging for it on the GTN? Priceless.

That doesn't even get into the ability to craft endgame stuff, which you can't even do unless you level your crafting skill up to 400.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

DaShuk
01.16.2013 , 08:48 PM | #13
I use it mostly for my alts. My main is a 46 right now, but she's fully maxed in crafting. Artifice just doesn't seem to do much for me. I used to be able to sell Crystals fairly well on the GTN, but not anymore and none of the lightsabers I can make ever sell that well either. Recently though I've found a nice niche with the lower level enhancements as it seems there are never any on the market so I just started making a bunch of blue and purple ones and putting them up and now I'm getting some good sales.

uziforyou
01.17.2013 , 11:11 AM | #14
Just curious if you use your crew skills and what for.

Personally I do to an extent, but mostly just selling off schematics I can not use on GTN.
I just find them useless, I am still new to MMO and only been playing this a couple of weeks, and just do not see any point past free credits, or maybe I am doing things wrong.

For example my first character Sith Jugg I gave him slicing, artifacts and synth, all the cloths I made were rubbish compared to what I already got just by killing and quests, at level 22 I got feed up and gave my agent sniper armstech scavenging and invest apart from a couple of knives that too has been a fruitless adventure.

I have read the tuts here and elsewhere so no need to post any.

Just wondering if anyone actually uses them for something.
Leveling up, a bit although the stuff that you can make doesn't really speed things up much as mission rewards generally keep your gear relevant for the content. At level 50 I rarely do anything with crew skills because all the stuff that anyone would be interested in is BoP (except mods, enhancements etc.) and I'm not much for grinding out profits on minor items in the GTN.

Honestly, there's more credits to be made in selling the materials used to make things (including mods, enhancements etc.) than there ever is in the actual crafted products. So, I will sell materials garnered from gathering crew skills or dropped in OPS and FP's but I pretty much never use my crafting crew skills except to make the odd item for an alt.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

craic_fox
01.17.2013 , 07:36 PM | #15
I use them all the time but I've always enjoyed crafting in MMOs. Right now I 'm spending far more time crafting than questing/leveling. I like being self-sufficient in all craft skills, but it's also fun to 'play the market' and identify opportunities and grab bargain-priced mats and schematics. I do a reasonable trade on most of my characters, but I tend to price things within the range of what new players can afford. I don't intend or expect to become wealthy, but being self-sufficient means I don't really need to be.

Holinyx
01.17.2013 , 09:13 PM | #16
I use my crew skills to net me 700,000-1,000,000 credits per day. everyday.

just two different items. and no i won't share my secrets.

hint: not biochem, not selling materials.
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

Thundergulch
01.18.2013 , 08:34 AM | #17
Thing that killed it for me, I found a custom sniper rifle (only good thing to come from Naa Sadaa) looked at it and it was -98 max damage, no mod would be able to make up for that.
This is where you're wrong.
Most (a lot) of is use the orange custom weapons/gear that we have had for most of the game, just keep slapping in upgrades.

Transferring stuff to alts... mail.
Buy the cheaper version of legacy gear to transfer the bound armorings,mods,enhancements,barrels etc...
If it's unbound just mail it without putting it into gear.

DaShuk
01.18.2013 , 01:40 PM | #18
One of the things I wish they would look at is how some of the stuff binds. I think it's silly that I can craft a lvl 47 or 50 light saber(orange that can be modded) but it comes with no mods and a crap early level color crystal in it but if I try to put mods or enhancements into it to make it more enticing on the GTN it binds to me and I can't do anything with it. I would love to be able to create a modable saber that I can slap a high level crystal in with high level enhancement/hilt and then be able to put that on the GTN.

NLxAROSA
01.19.2013 , 03:18 AM | #19
Yep, I definitely use them. First time MMOer here, took me a while before discovering the usefulness of crafting and the GTN, but you can make a lot of credits selling materials (especially stacks) and items you crafted. I use Bioanalysis and Biochem to gather materials for and craft implants, medpacs, stims and adrenals. Even at lower levels, you can make plenty of credits with it. Playing the RNG to get the purple items can require some investment in terms of cash and time, but it's well worth it.

I also regularly buy materials from the GTN, since that's usually a whole lot faster than running a gazillion gathering missions (and sometimes not even a whole lot more expensive), and some materials are crafted, so I have to buy those anyway, since you can have only one crafting skill.

TheIronMonkey
01.20.2013 , 09:13 AM | #20
I have all of them at 400, and use all of them. Some more than others of course.

- Cybertech and Artifice I use all the time. Armoring, mods, earpieces, crystals. You never have enough. Mostly to level up my alts, or to sell off as I research higher level schematics. Followed by Armstech for the barrels.

- Biotech has come along lately and I use it, but mostly for the implants.

- Armormech and Synthweaving I use less. Because I use orange gear mostly, Once I choose my oranges there is little reason to change them. But many of them sell very well on the GTN.

I also run the missions all the time since I have been upgrading affection on all my toons to take advantage of affection boost on legacy. So the more presents, the better. So even on my L50s already at 400 I keep running missions all the time, for materials and/or presents. Nothing goes to waste.

Note : I have 8 toons, one of every class/faction.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...