Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[GUIDE] PvP Healing Sorcerer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
[GUIDE] PvP Healing Sorcerer

Jadescythe
01.18.2013 , 11:31 AM | #11
I'll have a better response when I have time to read more, but I'll start with a few preliminary questions on your bubble stun spec. It feels like you went DPS heavy on this one, was there any particular reason? Personally, I'd still put the 2 points to increase WP rather than take lightning effusion, I'd take the two points to reduce WW CD and increase Jolt lockout instead of Lightning Barrage, and put the 2 points to decrease force costs rather than increase the damage of a few DPS abilities.

I've tried a more DPS heavy spec like the one you have listed, but the amount of damage based abilities I have to use regularly in order to make the talents worth it impacts my healing too greatly. I'm not saying what you have is wrong in any way, I'd just like to get your insight on why the DPS abilities > more utility.

Edit: This is the spec that I run for PVP atm.
I have opinions and stuff

SeekerTwo
01.18.2013 , 12:50 PM | #12
Not a bad overview, I agree that the stun bubble spec is too DPS heavy though. I personally would put no points into convection and instead put full points into Electric Induction.

I would also refrain from taking chain lightning at all, preferring to put at least one point into Will of the Sith. I would say that lightning effusion is a great talent unless you know you are never going to stay alive long enough to run out of force. Generally it is a great force management tool when used in conjunction with lightning barrage.
-----------------------------------------------------------

fungihoujo
01.18.2013 , 05:29 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SeekerTwo View Post
Not a bad overview, I agree that the stun bubble spec is too DPS heavy though. I personally would put no points into convection and instead put full points into Electric Induction.

I would also refrain from taking chain lightning at all, preferring to put at least one point into Will of the Sith. I would say that lightning effusion is a great talent unless you know you are never going to stay alive long enough to run out of force. Generally it is a great force management tool when used in conjunction with lightning barrage.
You're both correct- the spec I'm using is more dps heavy, and I do miss out on 6% WP bonus due to it, a bonus you could get by dropping either CL or lightning effusion.

I'll move the 15 second CD off WW talent to a better section of my talent recap, on review it would seem a good talent if you're less interested in DPS and more in utility.

I still prefer the dps my current spec offers though, and consider what I am losing to be less valuable than what I gain.
- Also included Jadescythe's spec as an alternative in the bubble stun section.

LogicalPremise
01.18.2013 , 06:05 PM | #14
Interesting thread. Subbed.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

Jadescythe
01.21.2013 , 04:08 PM | #15
Finally got around to looking through this again, so I'll leave a couple of notes here.

Full Corruption spec:
Never cast Revivification without Force Bending. I learned this from PVE, but 30% off that ability is too much to not save force bending for this.

I'd skip out on Lucidity to get the extra 4% AOE for puddle and take the extra 2% on all heals. The only reason you are getting pushback is if you're getting hit and at that point you should be switching to survival mode (KB, Force Speed, CC) not casting heals. Anything that makes your healing better is good in this spec imo.

Sometimes you are going to get focused right out of the gate. Hiding and kiting can be good tactics, but won't work against skilled opponents or focus fire. Don't be afraid to dump as much force as possible into healing and don't waste GCDs on Consumption knowing you won't live to see the benefits. As a general rule, I never use consumption unless I'm a) already oof or b) being completely ignored. Not only are you killing yourself for them, it is wasting precious GCDs that are better allocated to healing in the limited amount of time you will be alive.

UI:
If you are clicking abilities (outside of say buffs or the like that aren't used in battle) then you are doing something wrong. Sorcs really don't have nearly as many keybinds as other classes and you should have all of them ready. If you haven't unbound A and D yet, then it better be for space combat. Dont use them, EVER. Mouse turning is the way to go, if you need to click on something (most likely someone in the ops fram) then strafe until you have your mouse cursor available to turn again. You can unbind S if you need the keybind, but it's not necessary as long as you don't use it during warzones. I use backpedal outside of actual gameplay for positioning at times. I swear, I lose 10 brain cells every time I see a sorc force speed in reverse.

Your ops frame should be big. Not taking up the whole screen big, but bigger than anything else. Since you aren't clicking abilities, your hotbars should only be big enough to be able to tell if abilities are on CD and you should know which ones are which without having to look too closely anyway. Turn on CD text, you shouldn't be guessing at how long you have to wait for innervate to be back up based on a slowly dropping white highlighting.

General play:
As is obvious from the rotations listed, Static Barrier is the best heal we have bar none. Even without stun capability, it gives you the chance to prepare ahead of time and will only overheal if you put it on someone who is never attacked. If you are kiting and can't get any other heal off or know you are going to die, just bubble the crap out of anyone around you.

If you are playing in such a way that you could keyboard turn and click all of your abilities without a problem then you could be doing it better. Just because you CAN stand still and cast heals off at whoever doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Keep on the move to avoid attracting attention.

We aren't DPS, so sometimes the right thing to do with a GCD is nothing at all. Overhealing is the biggest mistake you can make with the poor force management we get (full Corruption especially). Don't drop a DI on someone at 85% health unless they are under fire and you know that the DI will be needed by the time it is casted. Keep track of who has a bubble on them still after a fight starts. It's an easy way to tell who is getting focused and who is being left alone (hint, your bubble is probably gone ).

That's all I have for now, but I'll post any other thoughts I have.
I have opinions and stuff

fungihoujo
01.28.2013 , 10:43 AM | #16
Those are good points, especially for full corruption.

Sometimes, when you're getting low on health and force- it's best just to blow all your force and keep consuming and healing others til you die- especially if you pay attention to when your team's door is going to open- simply put, a few seconds in the starting zone is a lot less than consumption back to full force.

If we look at the figures we already brought up- at 11% health and 8% force per consumption- fully restoring your force would take 13 consumptions, while doing 135% damage to yourself. That's 27k damage to fully restore, and 13 consumptions is 19 seconds. To heal 27k damage, on average, takes us on average 18 seconds of casting DI, or 8 casts- which in turn costs 430 force.

What does that mean? That means in order to stay at the same health, it'll take 37 seconds of consumption and DI in order to gain 170 force...

Or 3 casts of DI.

So- when I say that consumption is a terrible mechanic for resource control, I hope this explains why I am saying that.

As full corruption, dying is a better resource management technique than using consumption.

edit- Good point on lucidity- I simply put it in the specs since many tend to favour it- I myself only have 1 point in it currently.

It's nice in theory- but pushback is indeed the least of your concerns most of the time- whether or not it's worth 1% healing/point or 5% aoe healing/point- I outlined arguments for each talent in the talents section, ultimately those abilities I feel are going to be up to each person's discretion.

Harglerode
02.12.2013 , 04:48 PM | #17
I would like to know what other sorc healers see as a must have on expertise lvls. I currently run with 1100 expertise. Wp is 2052, bonus damage is 1000 and some change. Bonus healing is 800.. My personal feeling is, if I reduced those stats to gain more expertise, the overall difference in healing done wouldn't be that noticeable in pvp
55 Merc, 55 Sorc, 55 Op, 55 Slinger, 55 Mara,

55 Shadow, 55 PT, 55 Assassin

djrobb
02.20.2013 , 12:40 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Harglerode View Post
I would like to know what other sorc healers see as a must have on expertise lvls. I currently run with 1100 expertise. Wp is 2052, bonus damage is 1000 and some change. Bonus healing is 800.. My personal feeling is, if I reduced those stats to gain more expertise, the overall difference in healing done wouldn't be that noticeable in pvp
well as a healer expertise is the only thing that cuts into the trauma debuff in pvp. so you might wanna try going full expertise and see how you do. plus the damage reduction isnt bad to have either. it might be a wash as far as healing output is concerned but then you aren't getting the full damage reduction.

ogtrice
02.23.2013 , 06:17 PM | #19
Amazing guide! good stuff man
Raavan - 55 Sith Asassin - Vicious (Jung Ma) - Sitara - 55 Sith Sorcerer - Vicious (Jung Ma) Mr-bartender - 55 Jedi Sage - Shots Fired (Jung Ma) Ramar - 55 Sentinel - Shots Fired (Jung Ma) - Raama - 55 Jedi Shadow - The Harbinger

fungihoujo
03.05.2013 , 06:41 PM | #20
I'm going to leave the last few sections for a little bit- wait for the new xpac that I know everyone's looking forward to before I decide if it's worth my time- of course, the earlier sections may change too, we'll have to see how abilities fare/change.

I'm not exactly hopeful from what I've already seen on the PTS... doesn't look like they listened to a thing we said. Thank goodness smash got buffed though.

/sigh

Well, here's hoping it's not as bad as it looks.