Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

revansowns's Avatar


revansowns
01.18.2013 , 03:30 PM | #1
My mind falls apart even trying to think about this question. Help me out lol
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 55 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 52 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 52 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 50 Jedi Shadow Ikorath - Level 50 Sith Marauder Araxxo - Level 13 Powertech Tegldef -Level 36 Scoundrel

YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
01.18.2013 , 03:32 PM | #2
Different universes. Who knows?

Mistress_Ivi's Avatar


Mistress_Ivi
01.18.2013 , 03:44 PM | #3
Considering the Dragon from the Hobbit (read the book / watch movie) was the only thing as hot as mount doom's Volcano - if any other Volcano in Middle earth or Furnace was equally as hot, then the movies would be very different.

Back on topic, considering the weapon from both Deathstars could pretty much turn a planet into dust and pebble - I'd dare say yes... it would VERY easily destroy the one ring. The Deathstar is more than a single 'super volcano' in terms of firepower.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

vactus's Avatar


vactus
01.18.2013 , 03:49 PM | #4
I thought that the only reason it had to be in Mt. Doom was because that's where it was forged. They didn't say (that I remember) anything about the heat. So technically the Deathstar could do whatever it wants and the one ring will just float with the debris until Luke finds it and uses it.

Edit: So if the One Ring is with Smeegal at the time of the Deathstars arrival than it would be fine as they were no where near Mount Doom. No Mt Doom, no destroyed ring. It's a magic/metaphysics thing. One Ring > Deathstar
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Prophecy of the Five | Peacekeeper | International Guild

KashJedi's Avatar


KashJedi
01.18.2013 , 04:22 PM | #5
If modern day nuclear bombs can destroy cities, im sure the deathstar can destroy anything

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
01.18.2013 , 06:36 PM | #6
It's not a matter of heat or science. The Lord of the Rings makes it pretty clear that the one ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. I'm sure its got something to do with magic and what-not.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.18.2013 , 07:28 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
It's not a matter of heat or science. The Lord of the Rings makes it pretty clear that the one ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. I'm sure its got something to do with magic and what-not.
"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli Son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be un-made."- Elrond Half-Elven of Imladris

It is protected by The Dark Lord's Dark Magic. It can only be destroyed by the fires that forged it.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
01.18.2013 , 08:11 PM | #8
There are a lot more Sith Lords who are more powerful than Sauron, so yes.

dark_wolf's Avatar


dark_wolf
01.18.2013 , 08:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
Considering the Dragon from the Hobbit (read the book / watch movie) was the only thing as hot as mount doom's Volcano - if any other Volcano in Middle earth or Furnace was equally as hot, then the movies would be very different.

Back on topic, considering the weapon from both Deathstars could pretty much turn a planet into dust and pebble - I'd dare say yes... it would VERY easily destroy the one ring. The Deathstar is more than a single 'super volcano' in terms of firepower.
Dragonfire could not destroy the One Ring. Dragonfire could destroy the other Rings of Power, but the One could only be destroyed in Mount Doom.

Zeratho's Avatar


Zeratho
01.19.2013 , 12:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
There are a lot more Sith Lords who are more powerful than Sauron, so yes.
I seriously doubt that. Sauron was one of the Maiar spirits like a demi-god, actually the most powerful one on Middle-Earth at the time of War of the Ring. Sith Lords are just mortal humans/aliens.
And what does Sith Lords have to do with Deathstar? They don't make Deathstar's superlaser any stronger since they are using technology to create it and not the power of the Force.

But to the question asked, no, Deathstar could not destroy The One Ring because it can only be destroyed in the Mount Doom. Sauron extended his own powers into it so it's not just normal fire & lava there. It's filled with Sauron's power.