Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

deadandburied
01.03.2013 , 01:06 AM | #61
From the post Target Tracking doesn't work for Unload in merc forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...racking&page=3

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Thank you for the reports about Deadly Cannon and Target Tracking, everyone! We're aware of this issue and are working on a fix for it.
A good example below for Cell Charger talent bug in Commando forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=438245&page=2
Spoiler

We did not get a yellow response in that thread. However we linked it in another thread in customer service in which they responded. Thankfully they redesigned the talent. Cause quite often you would not get ammo restored for over 30 seconds which i also posted about as well as the above log.

To say they never respond in class forums is a falcity. While i don't see many they do respond at times. I certainly wished they responded a lot more often though.

As for 5 2 minute dummy tests. 2 minute tests are a total waste of time. You might crit for 25% in one test and 65% in another. Longer tests provide a better average. I'd suggest 6 min tests at the very least and preferably 10-12 min. I typically use 10-12 min tests myself. However you can just napkin math what each ability does and skip the parsing. My only suggestion was to ensure you use Unload wether Barrage procs or not. Barrage only provides approx an 18.9% actual increase to Unload as it's 25% additive and not muliplicative. So even without the Barrage proc Unload still does more dps than a Tracer Missle. Note Target Tracking was fixed for Unload in 1.3.2 which increased Unloads dps and made the above feasible. Hence one reason why i said to update your post.
Triggerfinger Itches, 50 Gunnery Commando, Premonition, The Harbinger

Gray_Stalker
01.03.2013 , 09:48 AM | #62
I say PFFT. Merc is still not considered a viable class for top pvper's. I leveled one to full warhero, best in slot. Gets some big numbers in pug wz's but not even almost viable in the real deal. I would like to take this time to thank bioware for making the pyrotech and sniper so much better for range dps then the merc. Giving the merc an interupt was long overdue and making the electro dart a ten meter range was brilliant. Funny how even less people play mercs now then before. Look, here is the sad truth. If you want to hold two guns and pew pew everyone, join the pub side.

DarthBloodloss
01.08.2013 , 06:08 PM | #63
My thoughts on PvP builds:

-System Calibrations for Alacrity seems completely worthless to me. Very rare to use a channel unless free casting
-Gyroscopic Alignment Jets should not be taken ever, IMO
-Degauss should always be taken. It saves you from melee
-Burnout should always be taken to 3 ranks

Here is the PvP build I use:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

If you are fully geared out, your rapid and healing scan can actually save teammates sometimes. For this reason I have 2 points in Med Tech to reduce cast time for heals. If you prefer to never heal, move those 2 points to the next box over for +2% crit chance.
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZMckZcGMrzGurs.2
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

DarthBloodloss
01.08.2013 , 06:18 PM | #64
Comment about the PvP 1v1 Spec:

Might not need the system calibrations for alacrity because the only thing it will help with is unload and power shot. But you are lacking the Pushback Reduction 3-point talent from arsenal tree for Power Shot. In a 1 on 1, your Power Shot is going to be significantly pushed back without that talent. The 2 points from alacrity would be better served by putting them in the arsenal box (along with a 3rd point) and just reducing pushback.
Bloodloss Mercenary

DkSharktooth
01.18.2013 , 07:28 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
My thoughts on PvP builds:

-System Calibrations for Alacrity seems completely worthless to me. Very rare to use a channel unless free casting
-Gyroscopic Alignment Jets should not be taken ever, IMO
-Degauss should always be taken. It saves you from melee
-Burnout should always be taken to 3 ranks

Here is the PvP build I use:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

If you are fully geared out, your rapid and healing scan can actually save teammates sometimes. For this reason I have 2 points in Med Tech to reduce cast time for heals. If you prefer to never heal, move those 2 points to the next box over for +2% crit chance.
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

@Gyroscopic Alignment: I don't see why not, if you are a merc you are an easy target for people and you will always get stunned alot in pvp. I feel this helps with heat management from my personal experience.

2/2 Energy rebounder is needed for you to be able to use Degauss when you need it (unless there is some bug I am unaware of). It is counter productive to have a snare removal up only half the time in a game with alot of snares and melee.

IMO You don't need 3/3 on Burnout in PVP simply because it's a very conditional situation in which a target is below 30% in a game with powerful healers in pvp as well as medpacs and offheals. I would rather take 2/3 and put that point into Energy Rebounder for the reason above in which this skill will constantly be activated due to frequent pvp damage taken.

Regardless, these are minor talent changes that come down to preference.

Choffware
01.18.2013 , 10:40 AM | #66
I'll say it again. Stabilizers is a must or merc dps. And it's not for just 1v1. Unload and powershot are a huge part of both dps mechanics you need as much protection on them as possible.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

DarthBloodloss
01.18.2013 , 02:00 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
@Gyroscopic Alignment: I don't see why not, if you are a merc you are an easy target for people and you will always get stunned alot in pvp. I feel this helps with heat management from my personal experience.

2/2 Energy rebounder is needed for you to be able to use Degauss when you need it (unless there is some bug I am unaware of). It is counter productive to have a snare removal up only half the time in a game with alot of snares and melee.

IMO You don't need 3/3 on Burnout in PVP simply because it's a very conditional situation in which a target is below 30% in a game with powerful healers in pvp as well as medpacs and offheals. I would rather take 2/3 and put that point into Energy Rebounder for the reason above in which this skill will constantly be activated due to frequent pvp damage taken.

Regardless, these are minor talent changes that come down to preference.
Yea they are pretty much personal preference. One thing I'll point out to you is about Energy Rebounder and Degauss. You said that you need 2/2 in energy rebounder for Degauss to be good. The reason why my build has only 1/2 in energy rebounder is because of its effect. With 1/2 there is only a 50% chance to lower CD on Energy Shield....but its a 50% chance any time you take damage. For example, if someone Rapid Shots you....it hits you multiple times so the 50% chance is almost a guarantee since there are 3 or 4 chances all at once.

Also I find that my defense vs melee has to be one the following:
1) Knockback
2) Stun
3) Degauss

It gives me a 3rd option for escape.
Bloodloss Mercenary

DarthBloodloss
01.18.2013 , 07:15 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post
I'll say it again. Stabilizers is a must or merc dps. And it's not for just 1v1. Unload and powershot are a huge part of both dps mechanics you need as much protection on them as possible.
I used to think it was a must. The thing is, when a melee is all over you...Stabilizers is going to get you killed. You can't trade Power Shots with any melee class out there.

And against any other ranged class, you are going to lose the fight anyways if all you have available is Power Shots. Even an uninterruptable Power Shot vs a Sniper or PT will get you killed if you swap blows. The only way to beat enemies is if you have your main rotation available. (and thus, no need for power shot)

My only use for Power Shot is when no one is attacking me. I'm very happy to free cast. But I don't trade blows unless my main rotation is ready. Or in the rare case I need to finish someone off and everything else is on cooldown.
Bloodloss Mercenary

DkSharktooth
01.19.2013 , 01:03 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
I used to think it was a must. The thing is, when a melee is all over you...Stabilizers is going to get you killed. You can't trade Power Shots with any melee class out there.

And against any other ranged class, you are going to lose the fight anyways if all you have available is Power Shots. Even an uninterruptable Power Shot vs a Sniper or PT will get you killed if you swap blows. The only way to beat enemies is if you have your main rotation available. (and thus, no need for power shot)

My only use for Power Shot is when no one is attacking me. I'm very happy to free cast. But I don't trade blows unless my main rotation is ready. Or in the rare case I need to finish someone off and everything else is on cooldown.
Exactly my point. As a general rule of thumb take talents that will be active and used for the most amount of time. I barely cast power shot unless I have range on my target and unload I might cast if melee is on top of me in order to get a railshot to proc.

BlyWoods
01.27.2013 , 10:07 PM | #70
I have a quick question for healers in terms of crystals in our pistols do we go with 2 power or 2 expertise? I tried both an havent noticed much of a difference in output from either one.
Raptüs
<Inferno>