Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 11:24 PM | #5421
Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
Of course I'm not. Cross dressing involves actually putting on the opposite gender's clothes in real life. What I said is it makes me FEEL LIKE cross dressing, which was meant to convey the sensation that it makes me feel very uncomfortable, but for some reason this doesn't seem to penetrate.
In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

I don't see the "feel like" in this sentence.

Quote:
.In no way you questioned anyone's sanity. Then in the very next sentence, you do question it. Do please make up your mind.

Ability to make dialogue choices, ability to build affection with companions. And yes, those are game mechanics because they involve you making choices in pursuit of some reward, as opposed to something like passive cutscenes which are there just for aesthetic pleasure.

Why do you think they are *previous* MMOs? BECAUSE THAT LEVEL OF ENGAGEMENT ISN'T SUFFICIENT FOR ME. That's why I came to SWTOR over the previous ones. If SWTOR can only offer the same crap as the previous MMOs, why play it in the first place?

If I want to actually have a romance in game, that's hardly an option.

If I want to actually have a romance, I am forced to play a heterosexual, yes.
Hmmm...it's been awhile, but didn't TERA have some dialogue choices, just not romance options? I really don't remember now. I seem to recall some MMO with dialogue choices, but no "lets have a dating dim mini game" in it.

I don't know though. I wouldn't call TOR's level of engagement any better than the others. I enjoy the fun of them, but I wouldn't say it's the be all end all of TOR. In fact, if that's the only thing that keeps anyone here, I wonder how they make it to Chapter 3 to even get that option, as boring game play is what had me get a max level in CO and then stop.

Also, its your character who's forced to be hetrosexual (untill Makeb) not you. Again, back toyour sig.

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 11:26 PM | #5422
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanchis View Post
It'll be discussed until it's no longer an issue. Seeing as how it's still not in the game, that means it's still an issue. I don't hear you saying the same thing to the damn chat bubble crowd. Go whine to them.
We already know SGR is coming in Makeb. That's been answered.

What we don't know is if companion romances will be with current or new NPCs. I got the impression they're coming at some point, but no impression on how they plan to implement it (current or new).

Samy_Merchi
01.17.2013 , 11:34 PM | #5423
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

I don't see the "feel like" in this sentence.
Are you trying to tell me that you interpreted that as me saying that I was forced to literally crossdress in front of my computer in real life?

Really?

Quote:
Hmmm...it's been awhile, but didn't TERA have some dialogue choices, just not romance options? I really don't remember now. I seem to recall some MMO with dialogue choices, but no "lets have a dating dim mini game" in it.
Exactly. TOR is the best MMO in this regard by far.

Quote:
I don't know though. I wouldn't call TOR's level of engagement any better than the others.
Well, that's probably because you sound like you don't care much about the dialogue/romance aspect. For those of us who love it, the level of engagement is VASTLY better than the others.

chuixupu
01.18.2013 , 01:13 AM | #5424
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Best species in all of SWTOR. They're actually a near-human race that are essentially a "recent" evolutionary branch of humankind (in the Star Wars universe) - their colouring occurred due to their isolation on Csilla. A mineral in that environment turned their skin blue - I am not sure what caused their glowing red eyes, though, but environmental changes to the planet forced them to live underground for a long time (the originally tropical planet is going through a rather severe ice age)... Eh, yes I'm a fan.

Don't pay attention to my sig, my favorites are all Chiss. (I have one of each class as a Chiss, and used my extra four slots to make other races, some of which are presented in my sig.)
+1
Much love for Chiss The segregation of EU and canon really pains me, as I'd love to see them turn up in other productions.

Quote:
I agree with Sammy, by the way. I have tried playing male characters, but I can't get very far with them. I just don't have any resonance/chemistry with them - it feels awkward. Disgusting might not be the word I'd use to describe the sensation... It just feels wrong. (Which is kind of strange, as my first ever pencil and paper RPG character was a male paladin, many of my earliest characters were male, and it wasn't until I came out to myself that I started to play only female characters. Not quite sure what that says about me!)
I find it fascinating how different people react to playing avatars. Personally, as a female I tend to have a hard time playing female characters. I've always felt more at home role playing as male, even as a little kid (which earned me a lot of anger and ostracism from girls). I can play female characters, if they have just right kind of attitude. I really like my fem mercenary, probably because she's not incredibly, stereotypically feminine. But usually playing female characters feels awkward, wrong, like you described. Also not sure what that says about me.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Zandilar
01.18.2013 , 03:49 AM | #5425
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
+1
Much love for Chiss The segregation of EU and canon really pains me, as I'd love to see them turn up in other productions.
Me too.

Quote:
I find it fascinating how different people react to playing avatars. Personally, as a female I tend to have a hard time playing female characters. I've always felt more at home role playing as male, even as a little kid (which earned me a lot of anger and ostracism from girls). I can play female characters, if they have just right kind of attitude. I really like my fem mercenary, probably because she's not incredibly, stereotypically feminine. But usually playing female characters feels awkward, wrong, like you described. Also not sure what that says about me.
Oddly enough, I can relate to that experience. I actually have the same difficulty playing femme females as I have playing male characters as well. My characters do all tend to be of a type, which I suppose shows my limitation as an RPer.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

chuixupu
01.18.2013 , 04:10 AM | #5426
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Oddly enough, I can relate to that experience. I actually have the same difficulty playing femme females as I have playing male characters as well. My characters do all tend to be of a type, which I suppose shows my limitation as an RPer.
I'll admit I completely type-cast myself most of the time. At least with my "mains". I play my characters in a way that the Legacy system supports pretty well - one central character with a lot of supporting roles.

I guess I'll make sure I get back on topic before I leave the thread.

Thinking about a particular topic in general, while I mostly disagree with the thought process in general, there definitely is a question of how they will implement a SGR romance that will seem natural for anyone wanting to take that option. I think the worst case scenario is that it's just a lack of gender check. However, if they actually have your character say a little something that shows reflection on who they are and how it relates to any current romance that had happened, then I'd be very impressed. But I guess I should take the "keep expectations low" attitude.
Also, it did occur to me that several [flirt] options I have encountered with NPCs were somewhat "hidden". Meaning I had to make the right choices in conversation just to get them. I wonder if these will be like that. It would help some of those "arg don't want to see sgr flirts" people.

I know why. Don't agree with something, then of course, must be an unfriendly person. Basically typical forum behavior.
Hm....no. You lack a certain degree of tact in your communication. Also you make broad assumptions. It wasn't a debate. I guess this is similar to a woman getting angry at man when she starts venting about a problem and the guy just responds with "Tch, just do X!". I was trying to avoid derailing the discussion further, but it didn't work.

also, WHY AM I UP THIS LATE
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr
01.18.2013 , 04:36 AM | #5427
Hm....no. You lack a certain degree of tact in your communication. Also you make broad assumptions. It wasn't a debate. I guess this is similar to a woman getting angry at man when she starts venting about a problem and the guy just responds with "Tch, just do X!". I was trying to avoid derailing the discussion further, but it didn't work.
Well, first "Tch just do X" is not a male only thing Second, I tend to say they're broad fromt he start and that of course there are the minor exceptions. Third, tact wasn't an option. When I as a player may want something, I realize the business should do what's in it's best interrests in terms of profitablity, as this keeps the product going that I want to see going, and a profitable business also keeps a staff employed (generally...one can look at City of Heroes and see that profitability can still lead to layoffs), and not in doing what I may want, that could possibly be what only a minority of players want/can careless about in either direction.

That basically puts you at odds with most who say "I feel discriminated against"

Also, I don't see much tact in going outside the forums to start a campaign. I don't see much tact in saying "BW who's made SGR in other games is now discriminatory against RL SGR"

All I did was say "The company is likely weighing the options and datamining how exactly this will effect business/profits/stockholders/ect"

While I don't think adding SGR will do this, let me ask you this...

Would you prefere SGR options where added even if it was shown it would cause the game to be shut down in two months? Or would you prefere it stayed out if that was shown what would happen?

Cause I promise you, this is exactly the type of things those who run companies think about. How will this effect long term.

SithKoriandr
01.18.2013 , 04:37 AM | #5428
also, WHY AM I UP THIS LATE
Is it your weekend? That could be it. *nod*

JediMB
01.18.2013 , 06:39 AM | #5429
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
Wow! just insert a race instead of "Male" and that quote turns ugly real quick all in all there really is no difference I am kinda offended as a male to be seen as disgusting thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
I read Male and disgusting it was pretty clear too me.
Well, you quoted me, and I never used that word. Because it isn't applicable for me.

Also, while I can't speak for Samy_Merchi, I just have a problem with customizing male RPG character in general. Except in Dragon Age II, for whatever reason. Or with Chiss in SWTOR.

Lastly, I'm male. Genderqueer, most likely, but male.

Yeah, that's pretty much me, as well. Except substitute "male" with "female" and vice versa.

I meant the players. And you're right, trying to keep to canon is going to be hard, because the EU messes it up so much it's not funny, and the movie prequals went and added to it.
I'd say the current Clone Wars series is the worst offender when it comes to messing up the canon.

Among other things, you could have a look at its interpretation of Alderaan.

No. I was implying your sig was terribly worded wrong. Not that you felt you had to do that in RL.
There was nothing wrong with how it was worded. It was a figurative statement. Metaphorical, if you will.

Very easy to pick up on.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Revanchis
01.18.2013 , 07:47 AM | #5430
I don't know though. I wouldn't call TOR's level of engagement any better than the others. I enjoy the fun of them, but I wouldn't say it's the be all end all of TOR. In fact, if that's the only thing that keeps anyone here, I wonder how they make it to Chapter 3 to even get that option, as boring game play is what had me get a max level in CO and then stop.
It makes a significant portion of TOR. It may not be as good as a proper RPG, but without it I doubt I would have even tried this game. I had a fervent dislike of MMOs.