Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I be affronted

Saul
01.17.2013 , 02:21 AM | #41
Makes me think back to the old TIE Fighter game from the early 90's. The english voice actor had to make quite an effort to say Z-95 rather than Zed-95 during mission briefings. But anyways I have often wondered since the first time I played during beta why no one on Courscant has the correct (british) accent. That is suppose to be the offical native accent of Courscant.

Khevar
01.17.2013 , 10:34 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Akiviri View Post
ROFLMAO!!!

Did they happen to explain why? LOLOL
Oh, yes. Funnier part is, it was a woman, and she was my boss, and she was NOT amused by my lack of understanding.

Diablo_Cow
01.17.2013 , 10:54 AM | #43
It's a stereotype that is used commonly. If you take offense I'm sorry I wish it were different. However in my opinion, I believe the accent makes the empire foreign and more appealing (I was born and live 20 minutes from DC). I do not enjoy the American accent on the republic side because it's too normal for me. Oh and thank what ever deity you may pray to that the DC/Maryland/Virginia ( DMV for short) accent is not included. It is extremely low class, uneducated, barely English, and is atrocious.

AlexDougherty
01.17.2013 , 10:54 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I'll never forget the offended look a Brit gave me when I said something about getting smacked in the fanny.
That last word means something rather rude and feminine is Britain, although I understand it just means the backside in America.

I would not advise using it with British people, best case is a long explanation from you, worst case is assault.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Akiviri
01.17.2013 , 11:36 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
That last word means something rather rude and feminine is Britain, although I understand it just means the backside in America.

I would not advise using it with British people, best case is a long explanation from you, worst case is assault.
LOL - yes. I wonder what images the ''Fanny Farmer Cookbook" raise.....

CaptRavenous
01.17.2013 , 08:02 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Akiviri View Post
LOL - yes. I wonder what images the ''Fanny Farmer Cookbook" raise.....
I want to see that farm!
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

ziphii
01.17.2013 , 09:00 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Bioware should include more regional accents, not less. It's terribly classist, but they're using the stereotypical "British/BBC" accent for the officers, Moffs and II Agents with a smattering of regional accents as "oddities" which would represent a certain amount of upwardly mobile people in the lower classes, due to their ability and not necessarily due to born status.

I still think Bill Bailey should get to voice a Moff at some point.
Can you explain what a "Moff" is?

Khevar
01.17.2013 , 09:09 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by ziphii View Post
Can you explain what a "Moff" is?
Here's an article on it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moff

Tatile
01.18.2013 , 05:52 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Here's an article on it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moff
Yeah that.

I can't actually think of what their comparative role would be IRL - their position seems to be fairly unique (to the best of my knowledge, I'm hardly steeped in the military or navy here) in that they command (or can command) military, naval and special units.

MishraArtificer
01.18.2013 , 09:56 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Yeah that.

I can't actually think of what their comparative role would be IRL - their position seems to be fairly unique (to the best of my knowledge, I'm hardly steeped in the military or navy here) in that they command (or can command) military, naval and special units.
Joint Special Operations Command, I think, would be the best analogue.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.
Behold...my referral link!