Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

VelvetSanity
01.17.2013 , 08:36 PM | #5401
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I think there are a couple of species that could qualify as mono-gendered but they tend to be hermaphroditic (like the Hutts, which... aren't... really that similar to the asari at all). But they've already invented the Voss and Gormak for the MMO so I could imagine they'd be more wary of crossing over Mas Effect's copyright lines than they would be wary of deviating from established Star Wars lore.
I'd like to point out that, as Mass Effect was made by Bioware, they own the copyright to it already.
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again

Zandilar
01.17.2013 , 08:37 PM | #5402
Blue humanoids with the red eyes.
Best species in all of SWTOR. They're actually a near-human race that are essentially a "recent" evolutionary branch of humankind (in the Star Wars universe) - their colouring occurred due to their isolation on Csilla. A mineral in that environment turned their skin blue - I am not sure what caused their glowing red eyes, though, but environmental changes to the planet forced them to live underground for a long time (the originally tropical planet is going through a rather severe ice age)... Eh, yes I'm a fan.

Don't pay attention to my sig, my favorites are all Chiss. (I have one of each class as a Chiss, and used my extra four slots to make other races, some of which are presented in my sig.)

I agree with Sammy, by the way. I have tried playing male characters, but I can't get very far with them. I just don't have any resonance/chemistry with them - it feels awkward. Disgusting might not be the word I'd use to describe the sensation... It just feels wrong. (Which is kind of strange, as my first ever pencil and paper RPG character was a male paladin, many of my earliest characters were male, and it wasn't until I came out to myself that I started to play only female characters. Not quite sure what that says about me!)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:39 PM | #5403
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
I'd like to point out that, as Mass Effect was made by Bioware, they own the copyright to it already.
True, very true. I thought of that but they're different studios and even if there's no legal issues (I expect there wouldn't be) I wonder to myself if it might cause interdepartmental stresses. I can imagine it might. The people who developed the asari might well be a little annoyed if someone went, 'Hey, we're going to give these gals a facelift and transplant them into Star Wars, yo.'
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:42 PM | #5404
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Not quite sure what that says about me!
That you're you. Human sexuality is fluid and gender identity certainly is too. It feels more natural to you now to play only females; that's just how you roll, and that's cool. Maybe that'll change in the future. Maybe it won't. probably no point over-analysing it either way.

VelvetSanity
01.17.2013 , 08:44 PM | #5405
True, very true. I thought of that but they're different studios and even if there's no legal issues (I expect there wouldn't be) I wonder to myself if it might cause interdepartmental stresses. I can imagine it might. The people who developed the asari might well be a little annoyed if someone went, 'Hey, we're going to give these gals a facelift and transplant them into Star Wars, yo.'
Not to mention the possibility of muddying the IP waters by obviously mixing something from another source into Star Wars. Imagine the outrage from the hardcore Star Wars purists.
Pre-CU Bria refugee

markcymru
01.17.2013 , 08:45 PM | #5406
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
Sad that Ashara is the only female companion for SI.
Oh, I don't know... to me she'd make a great SGR LI. I find her sweet, and I'd definitely enjoy a romance with her ! It doesn't hurt that she's pretty, either.
Maana Mungu aliupenda ulimwengu hivi hata akamtoa Mwana wake wa pekee, ili kila amwaminiye asipotee, bali awe na uzima wa milele

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:49 PM | #5407
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
Not to mention the possibility of muddying the IP waters by obviously mixing something from another source into Star Wars. Imagine the outrage from the hardcore Star Wars purists.
Well, given there's several different forms of accepted Star Wars canon and the MMO itself fits firmly into the Expanded Universe portion of it I'd suggest the hardcore purists should probably not be playing. Or, even better, should relax their concepts of what is and isn't 'canon'.

VelvetSanity
01.17.2013 , 08:54 PM | #5408
Well, given there's several different forms of accepted Star Wars canon and the MMO itself fits firmly into the Expanded Universe portion of it I'd suggest the hardcore purists should probably not be playing. Or, even better, should relax their concepts of what is and isn't 'canon'.
Oh, I'm mostly thinking of reactions along the lines of "Why are you getting your Star Trek in my Star Wars? Stop it!" silliness. Anyway, time for work, laters!
Pre-CU Bria refugee

JacenHallis
01.17.2013 , 08:54 PM | #5409
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).
Nadia's been on your ship since the start of Chapter 2. It takes time to go through hyperspace, shuttle planetside, move from area to area and so on. These downtimes don't make for good MMO play, so they are left out.

As I saw it, my character had been talking and bonding with Nadia since the start of Chapter 2, even if it didn't happen on screen. So, by the time I'm done with Belsavis, Nadia and he already had something of a friendly relationship. When she joins up permanently, though, they spend even more time together, and something more is built there.

That romance seems rushed because of how late she becomes an actual companion. But, in actuality, the two characters had met long before her companion status became official. These story arcs don't take days of game time. They take months, possibly a couple of years. There's a lot we don't see that we have to fill in with our imaginations.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 08:56 PM | #5410
While BW may own Asari, I believe putting the race into Star Wars would make them a SW property that all could use inthe EU.