Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jiminison
01.17.2013 , 07:47 PM | #5391
I'd actually like them to put more adult centric themes atleast in the real seedy areas of the game nothing to hardcore.

Jiminison
01.17.2013 , 08:04 PM | #5392
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Then you're reading it out of context.

That's the actual post fragment you're quoting. There's a fine but very important distinction between a sexist opinion ('All men are disgusting') and an overwhelming preference ('I find all men disgusting'). Samy_Merchi isn't saying 'all men are disgusting' or 'all men are lesser creatures', nor anything of the sort. She's saying that she finds male characters disgusting (presumably due to a very strong personal preference), or at least the ones she tried to make with the SWTOR character builder. That's an opinion based within a preference and, like all preferences, it's the owner's to have.

I believe you, too, are taking statements out of context. Probably intentionally and certainly dismissively. How people react to internal gameplay is going to be different from you. The language they use to express that is also going to be different. Going over minutiae and claiming that it makes them seem incapable of discerning reality just makes you look judgemental.

I understand it and I get it and you would make a very good politician aswell. I know what I read. I actually wanted to bring up Marriage i.e ceremony,ring and or Rp tools between players and I get reverse discrimination instead. I feel more Rp style relationship tools would be fun to toy with and would open it up to the next level for all peeps.

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:10 PM | #5393
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
I understand it and I get it and you would make a very good politician aswell. I know what I read. I actually wanted to bring up Marriage i.e ceremony,ring and or Rp tools between players and I get reverse discrimination instead. I feel more Rp style relationship tools would be fun to toy with and would open it up to the next level for all peeps.
I'd make an awful politician with a very short-lived political life, actually, and I suspect you're not actually reading what I'm telling you. The person you're accusing of discrimination made no blanket statements about men. Believe me, I'm one of the first to jump on discrimination against women OR men (I don't believe in such a thing as 'reverse discrimination' - a person is discriminating or they're not), and I don't believe it's happening in this case. If Samy_Merchy had said 'I tried making a male character but all men are ick' I'd fully agree with you, but she didn't.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SirGladiator
01.17.2013 , 08:15 PM | #5394
I agree with what I believe was the sentiment behind the earlier post, which is that it's disgusting to have to play a male character to romance the female character of your choice. Thats true, it is. I can't bring myself to do it either, I couldn't even get as far as even beginning to try, so the earlier poster at least did better than me. Its not an insult about men in general, its that this is an RPG where you're allowed to play as a male or female character, and as such if you want to play as a female character you shouldn't be penalized in any way, especially in such an extremely important way.

It's funny, I've played two characters to level 50 now and I don't even know what a 'chiss' is, I'm sure Ive met some and simply forgotten them, but it gave me an interesting and humorous idea for how to solve this whole thing. Not that it's complicated or anything, they could fix it super easily through any number of means, but this is yet another one. Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female. Either way you get someone who looks and sounds female, but essentially by choosing the gender you'd be choosing which gender you want to romance. Obviously its much, much simpler to just get rid of the gender checks on the existing romances, but this is just yet another way to solve the issue on top of all the other obvious ones. Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really .

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:16 PM | #5395
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
It's funny, I've played two characters to level 50 now and I don't even know what a 'chiss' is, I'm sure Ive met some and simply forgotten them
Blue humanoids with the red eyes.

stuffystuffs
01.17.2013 , 08:23 PM | #5396
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I've heard so much about Doc that it really makes me wanna roll a JK next, especially since he seems SGR-compatible.
Well, some will say he's not b/c he flirts openly with a female JK but I'd say that only works if you expect a bisexual to interact in the same way with both sexes (which isn't typically the case).

I can see everyone as potentially SGR-compatible so my opinion doesn't really count here XD
Node guarder

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 08:24 PM | #5397
I agree with what I believe was the sentiment behind the earlier post, which is that it's disgusting to have to play a male character to romance the female character of your choice. Thats true, it is. I can't bring myself to do it either, I couldn't even get as far as even beginning to try, so the earlier poster at least did better than me. Its not an insult about men in general, its that this is an RPG where you're allowed to play as a male or female character, and as such if you want to play as a female character you shouldn't be penalized in any way, especially in such an extremely important way.

It's funny, I've played two characters to level 50 now and I don't even know what a 'chiss' is, I'm sure Ive met some and simply forgotten them, but it gave me an interesting and humorous idea for how to solve this whole thing. Not that it's complicated or anything, they could fix it super easily through any number of means, but this is yet another one. Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female. Either way you get someone who looks and sounds female, but essentially by choosing the gender you'd be choosing which gender you want to romance. Obviously its much, much simpler to just get rid of the gender checks on the existing romances, but this is just yet another way to solve the issue on top of all the other obvious ones. Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really .
Does Star Wars have a race like that in it's lore? Personally I'd rather they not intermingle game lores or invent new ones for the Star Wars MMO, and would rather see established canon races introduced.

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:29 PM | #5398
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Does Star Wars have a race like that in it's lore? Personally I'd rather they not intermingle game lores or invent new ones for the Star Wars MMO, and would rather see established canon races introduced.
I think there are a couple of species that could qualify as mono-gendered but they tend to be hermaphroditic (like the Hutts, which... aren't... really that similar to the asari at all). But they've already invented the Voss and Gormak for the MMO so I could imagine they'd be more wary of crossing over Mas Effect's copyright lines than they would be wary of deviating from established Star Wars lore.

Kioma
01.17.2013 , 08:32 PM | #5399
Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female.

<snip>

Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really .
Personally I think the asari thing has been done. From a writer's perspective just about any mono-gendered female-style species is going to be directly compared to the asari, and writers often already have enough challenges (like deadlines and hyper-critical fans) without adding to the pile.

Lent_San
01.17.2013 , 08:36 PM | #5400
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Well, some will say he's not b/c he flirts openly with a female JK but I'd say that only works if you expect a bisexual to interact in the same way with both sexes (which isn't typically the case).
True. I'll see. To me, some companions seem more adaptive than others, but I'm not gonna say others can't see it differently. It's always part player, part char that decides what romances work or not. I still admire the DA2 model in that respect. Almost everyone was able to play the romances they wanted and no-one felt cheated. I think it was a wise move on their part back then.