Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy
01.17.2013 , 04:20 PM | #781
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post

really not much out there...i'm not a fantasy guy.

but, i've been playing the secret world. it's a weird mix of left for dead meets magic the gathering...quite unique, but again, i'm not a D&D-type guy. (altho i did kill a hot, breasts out, dressed in leather demon npc...ok i killed a bunch...they were hot :P )

see what swtor has done to me!!!

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!
lol

i tried TSW for a couple of weeks, and overall found it way to grindy for me. some of the story was interesting, but i couldnt get into it

Bluntron
01.17.2013 , 04:37 PM | #782
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
pfft why you getting rickrolled?

make friends w/ a good mara. i played w/ one the other night, and he was peeling for me while i peeled for our healer. in like 6 warzones, the two of us put up >400k damage 4 times, and one of those was >500k. i outdamaged him in all but one hypergates where i got stuck guarding the first round and no enemies came to our pylon (still ended up w/ >400k tho)
My server is sort of a hater place. If you suck they hate you, if you best them in warzones with a subpar class, they hate you. I don't think I have any maras on my friends list just ppl who chose the "play harder" classes/specs

Lord_Karsk
01.17.2013 , 04:38 PM | #783
Well it's out. PvP developer Rob Hinkle Quote:
Quote:
The classes I spend the most time with are a Lethality Sniper and a Pyrotech Powertech, with the Sniper being my “main.”
Wonder if this is why the worst pvp AC commando mercenary is ignored all year round

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130117

cashogy
01.17.2013 , 04:39 PM | #784
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
Well it's out. PvP developer Rob Hinkle Quote:

Wonder if this is why the worst pvp AC commando mercenary is ignored all year round

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130117
he looks like a winner

ArchangelLBC
01.17.2013 , 05:04 PM | #785
It both explains a lot and makes me wonder why sniper isn't more powerful than it is.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Bluntron
01.17.2013 , 05:30 PM | #786
What is your favorite part of working on PvP?

The best part of working on PvP is being able to play PvP. PvE challenges are nice, but nothing matches the difficulty of fighting other intelligent human beings. Being able to create that kind of environment for our players is extremely satisfying and I wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Class balance in MMOs with PvP is always a hot topic – how do you and your team approach it?

Lots of feedback from players, lots of theorycrafting, and a lot of playtesting. We feel like for the most part our class balance is pretty good, but it will never be perfect. We will always strive for better balance and making the classes more enjoyable, though it is a never-ending process of improvement.

What's that smell?

Smells like bull.

Bluntron
01.17.2013 , 05:37 PM | #787
When it comes to class balance and PvP, what do you think is the most common misperception and why do you think that is?

That the designers favor one class or another (or one faction or another). Not just in The Old Republic, but in almost every game I’ve worked on or played in, there develops a sentiment that the designers “hate” one class and “love” another class. Beyond being a terrible business idea, all of the members of the team play different classes, so even if we wanted to favor one class over another there would be internal conflict on what class that would be.  I understand why it happens, when players see their class issues go unresolved while other classes get fixes and improvements, but I promise you it has nothing to do with what class we have chosen to like more than others.

So, we can all safely assume the DEV team have all agree to hate merc/mando.

T-Assassin
01.17.2013 , 06:12 PM | #788
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluntron View Post
So, we can all safely assume the DEV team have all agree to hate merc/mando.
do you think it is hate, or lack of understanding why the class is underperforming? or perhaps, they have no idea how to balance the class without fear of making it completely OP.

i think even the most basic PvP'r knows, keep moving if you want to live. the exception being sniper/gs, due to the mechaincs of the class. uniterruptable, cannot jump to, excellent CC/KB/root.

there was even a cheesy computer gaming design commercial on for years, the closing was "and we all know what happens when you stand still" (paraphrased) to which the screen blinked out, meant to simulate death.

yet these designers continue to ignore the gross imbalance between casting classes and instant/uniterruptable classes. this pertains to both PvE and PvP...PvP moreso.

*EDIT* still irrelevant to me, since i cannot PvP from 5pm-12am CST, due to being on a west coast server
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Bluntron
01.17.2013 , 07:09 PM | #789
So, I never go Aresnal right....Always played Pyro.

So playing tracer spam, I find myself being able to go against saber wielders but classes like pyro merc or snipers seem to best me. (If I dont have proper Cds etc)

Honestly, I cant complain unless 4 ppl jump on me at once and shut me out completely.

cashogy
01.17.2013 , 07:50 PM | #790
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluntron View Post
So, I never go Aresnal right....Always played Pyro.

So playing tracer spam, I find myself being able to go against saber wielders but classes like pyro merc or snipers seem to best me. (If I dont have proper Cds etc)

Honestly, I cant complain unless 4 ppl jump on me at once and shut me out completely.
9/10 melee opponents interrupt w/e they see first. baiting w/ power shot is pretty easy, and then you can stand their and face tank for 3 tracer missiles -> kb -> unload -> hsm and rs. at that point theyre probably dead. arsenal/gunnery is so poorly designed that its full rotation is usually longer than TTK. tracers crit for ~3k, unload can crit for close to 10k. thats 19k damage right there, and is really only 50% of your rotation.