Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Want to Test RotHC (and live in Austin)?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Want to Test RotHC (and live in Austin)?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CoryKolek
01.17.2013 , 05:15 PM | #51 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by jasoneth View Post
That's brilliant!

Any chance there's a way of visually differentiating the HoTs and DoTs you've cast on the target frame (or in the raid frame) , like making them larger, different background, underline... something?

Even just physically separating buffs from debuffs (as they are on the target frame) on the raid frame would be ideal.

Raid healer here hoping for more.
Quote: Originally Posted by EATtheDEAD View Post
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already or if it's already on your list of upgrades, but I would really love if my keybinds could be saved and loaded like the Interface Editior.

I roll alts out the *** so it gets tedious to have to redo all my keybinds a billion times.

Both of those changes aren't as simple as they might seem. With that said though, they're definitely on our list of improvements to be made eventually. No ETA at the moment though.
Cory Kolek
Software Engineer - Gameplay

Glzmo
01.17.2013 , 05:44 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by CoryKolek View Post
Hello,

I'm Cory Kolek, also a UI programmer here at Bioware Austin. I originally implemented the UI Customization feature, and I'm always looking for ways to improve it. I just finished adding the option to change the scale of your buffs and debuffs within the operation, party, player, and target frames. This change has recently entered testing, so look forward to it in a future Game Update!

Nice. That should come in handy, especially at high resolutions.
Since you're a GUI guy, would you be the person to work on chat bubbles as well?

CoryKolek
01.17.2013 , 06:00 PM | #53 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Nice. That should come in handy, especially at high resolutions.
Since you're a GUI guy, would you be the person to work on chat bubbles as well?
I don't have much else to say on the topic than what was already said in that thread.

I can get a bit more technical on the topic though. As it was said before chat bubbles were a huge performance hit on the game when we had initially implemented them in beta. We're talking upwards of 400Mbs of video memory used on chat bubbles alone. Nameplates had the same issue. We fixed nameplates but have not had time to do the same with chat bubbles. If you played in beta and saw our initial implementation of them they weren't very pretty or as fully featured as we'd like them to be. So, yes, we would like to implement them again, but when we do we want to do it right.
Cory Kolek
Software Engineer - Gameplay

Lord_Karsk
01.17.2013 , 06:34 PM | #54
I don't have much else to say on the topic than what was already said in that thread.

I can get a bit more technical on the topic though. As it was said before chat bubbles were a huge performance hit on the game when we had initially implemented them in beta. We're talking upwards of 400Mbs of video memory used on chat bubbles alone. Nameplates had the same issue. We fixed nameplates but have not had time to do the same with chat bubbles. If you played in beta and saw our initial implementation of them they weren't very pretty or as fully featured as we'd like them to be. So, yes, we would like to implement them again, but when we do we want to do it right.
Chat bubbles is like the group finder. MMO things that is so normal they are standard features in
any MMO from launch today. And one dont need to be a roleplayer to like chat bubbles.

Zevrad
01.17.2013 , 06:41 PM | #55

Put it on your "To Do" list!?

chuixupu
01.17.2013 , 06:45 PM | #56
I have no use for chat bubbles personally, other than role-playing I don't know what else anyone would use them for. But for the sake of those that do like them I hope they will be implemented eventually. I think we can all agree that the last thing we want now is more GPU memory hogging. SWTOR spikes above 3gb for me sometimes.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

DaftVaduhhh
01.17.2013 , 06:49 PM | #57
Since a few people are mentioning usability improvements, how about health text on focus target bars? Would be absolutely fantastic instead of so many calls for percentages in operations.
Daftvaduhh - 55 Shadow - GM of <Beyond Redemption> (The Harbinger)
La-femme - 55 Sage, Woklobster - 55 Guardian, Opfreely - 55 Sentinel
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger

chuixupu
01.17.2013 , 06:52 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh View Post
Since a few people are mentioning usability improvements, how about health text on focus target bars? Would be absolutely fantastic instead of so many calls for percentages in operations.
^ agreed, and Focus Target of Target. I think I already may have said that here (or some other thread).
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

funkiestj
01.17.2013 , 07:07 PM | #59
That's brilliant!

Any chance there's a way of visually differentiating ...

Even just physically separating buffs from debuffs (as they are on the target frame) on the raid frame would be ideal.
There is a lot of potential mileage in the separating idea. You could also slice and dice it this way:
  1. long term buffs (class buffs, stims) and stances (ion cell, soresu form)
  2. self applied short term buffs and procs (including heroic moment)
  3. 3rd party applied short term effects (sage bubbles, speed buff)

#1 doesn't change much during combat (opponent can switch stances but other stuff stays the same). #2 and #3 are dynamic. Looking at my bar, I'm mostly interested in seeing what debuffs a 3rd party has applied (#3) while for targets (friend or enemy) I'm mostly interested in #2 and #3.

currently, if I have a ton of procs and (de)buffs, it is hard to find one I'm looking for as I really don't understand how they sort (today).

Mentally, I have something I want to check for and I want to know where to look for it rather than have to scan visually.

Of course as a player gets more skilled he learns to see and recognize the corresponding animations (when there is one -- e.g. taunt and defensive CDs). Presumably many things do not have animations (e.g. stacks of sunder armor -- a key variable in the smash equation).

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Desiirea
01.17.2013 , 08:18 PM | #60
Hello,

I'm Cory Kolek, also a UI programmer here at Bioware Austin. I originally implemented the UI Customization feature, and I'm always looking for ways to improve it. I just finished adding the option to change the scale of your buffs and debuffs within the operation, party, player, and target frames. This change has recently entered testing, so look forward to it in a future Game Update!

OMG TY TY TY TY from the bottom of my little healer heart. I have been begging for this since day 1. Can I have your baby?

That's brilliant!

Any chance there's a way of visually differentiating the HoTs and DoTs you've cast on the target frame (or in the raid frame) , like making them larger, different background, underline... something?

Raid healer here hoping for more.
Do this and I will offer you 2 babies!! *winks* Edit: There have been many suggestions about how to be able to manage buffs/debuffs on the raid frames on these forums and addressing this would be a HUGE quality of life improvement for healers. (I personally would like to spend more time watching the play then tunneling all the buffs/debuffs many which i can't or don't need to see to do my job)
Signed,
Happiest healer ever with this news!

P.S. Having the option of our own and other party member's companions on the raid frame would be a big blessing for those of us that use those instead of party frames in small group settings.
Desiirea, The Cookiegoddess Legacy - Seer Sage
You don't know the power of the Desi side
Server 1st Elite Warlord - Server 1st 16-man Infernal
Cookies4Ever