Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Razmoudah
01.17.2013 , 04:33 PM | #5381
Well, I haven't commented in a while, and although the majority of us seem to be highly interested in having romance options with the existing companions (not to say I'm not at least partially interested) I am just as interested in seeing some new companions that are romanceable. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a female Cathar who my Sith Inquisitor could romance, but then again they seem to be generically avoiding any non-humanoid romances in general. Heck, you can't even play as a non-humanoid race, and would it really be that unrealistic to play as a droid in a non-force using class? There are a few different examples of fully autonomous droids from other sources, placed at differing points in the Star Wars time line(s). Of course, that'd mess with the Legacy system a fair bit, but I still think it'd be fun to play as one of the distinctly non-humanoid races, and maybe get a few of them available as companion choices (preferably with them being implemented as bi, and maybe being optional companions for more than one class, though I'm not sure how practical that would be).

Also, as I'm still working on my first char, do you actually get all five of the companions listed on the site for each class in the lvl 1-50 content? My Sith Inquisitor is up to lvl 24 now, and Khem Val and the Imperial protocol droid are still the only two companions I've got, though I'm barely started on the Balmorra quests.
Choosing to limit one's vision is not the path to enlightenment. I prefer a world where there are limitless possibilities.
Bioware/EA say YES to companion SGR in SW:TOR

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 04:34 PM | #5382
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Not sure what you mean. Could you clarify?
You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 04:35 PM | #5383
Quote: Originally Posted by Razmoudah View Post
Well, I haven't commented in a while, and although the majority of us seem to be highly interested in having romance options with the existing companions (not to say I'm not at least partially interested) I am just as interested in seeing some new companions that are romanceable. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a female Cathar who my Sith Inquisitor could romance, but then again they seem to be generically avoiding any non-humanoid romances in general. Heck, you can't even play as a non-humanoid race, and would it really be that unrealistic to play as a droid in a non-force using class? There are a few different examples of fully autonomous droids from other sources, placed at differing points in the Star Wars time line(s). Of course, that'd mess with the Legacy system a fair bit, but I still think it'd be fun to play as one of the distinctly non-humanoid races, and maybe get a few of them available as companion choices (preferably with them being implemented as bi, and maybe being optional companions for more than one class, though I'm not sure how practical that would be).

Also, as I'm still working on my first char, do you actually get all five of the companions listed on the site for each class in the lvl 1-50 content? My Sith Inquisitor is up to lvl 24 now, and Khem Val and the Imperial protocol droid are still the only two companions I've got, though I'm barely started on the Balmorra quests.
Yes. You get them all at various stages of the story. If memory serves correctly, it's the JK who gets their second companion the earliest.

chuixupu
01.17.2013 , 04:59 PM | #5384
Yeah, Zenith is NOT romanceable at all, for anyone, just wanted to make that clear. But I wish he was. I think Aric Jorgan is the only non-human male romance option out there, isn't he? I guess Vector is *kind of* non-human, but he used to be fully human.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

iamthehoyden
01.17.2013 , 04:59 PM | #5385
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).
Ok, I think I understand what you're saying. From what I've seen, companion conversations trigger when you hit a certain point in the game and have a certain level of affection. So there's both a time element and an affection element.

What I was referring to was that the companion's relationship with the player varies from companion to companion. Aric Jorgan, for example, is a starter companion, but you don't get a flirt with him till level 32ish even if your affection level is maxed (I maxed him in the 20s, I think it was). It takes an entire act just to get him to that point. And it makes sense because he's a grumpy, suspicious man (and I love him ). Then it takes another act to get him to the declaration stage. The bulk of that relationship doesn't happen till Act 3. So it's a long, slow courtship and it works as far as the story goes.

Iresso, on the other hand, comes on ship on Hoth. I think he flirts with you in his second conversation and it snowballs very very quickly from there. The entire courtship is during one act. But again, this makes sense because Iresso is a much more open and trusting.

Characters like Zenith and Lord Scourge are very untrusting, so, to me, it would make sense if it took longer (in terms of the story) for them to get to the romance stage. So it would make sense if they were going to be an Act 4 romance arc.

I think it would be easier to add SGRs and new OGRs to non-LI characters because of this - just roll out the romance arc in Act 4. However, I, personally, think it would make sense to rework the conversations for existing LIs because it would be odd if Kira, for example, started her romance with male JKs in Act 1 and waited till Act 4 to start one with female JKs.

(Sorry for the crazy long post, lol) Edit: Ok, maybe it wasn't really that long, just felt like I was rambling
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

danpen
01.17.2013 , 05:16 PM | #5386
SGR will be a good IDE in the game,as some people will like to it in game. And I'm one of them!
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

Lent_San
01.17.2013 , 05:17 PM | #5387
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I actually think Drew wrote the main JK story but Hall Hood wrote the companions and some other stuff. Needless to say, the JK companions are my favorite part of that story XD
I've heard so much about Doc that it really makes me wanna roll a JK next, especially since he seems SGR-compatible. If Hall Hood only wrote the companions, well, fair enough, I think I'm gonna enjoy them. :P

Quote: Originally Posted by Razmoudah View Post
24 sounds about right. Second companion should be coming anytime soon.

Iresso, on the other hand, comes on ship on Hoth. I think he flirts with you in his second conversation and it snowballs very very quickly from there. The entire courtship is during one act. But again, this makes sense because Iresso is a much more open and trusting.
The JC romances (at least for fem!JC, haven't run a male) feel rushed a bit, but not entirely out of the realm of reasonablness.
Not really on topic, but I want to add that I found femConsulars romance with Iresso really rushed and not that well played out. By the time I got him, Lv 44 I believe, I was kind of used to take Theran along and he had the better gear anyway. So I wasn't really able to gather a lot of affection points with Iresso. I maxed affection with him by giving him gifts after my Consular reached the level cap. Him and her went from "Nice to meet you" to "Will you marry me?" in two days.
Would make sense, if they added new companions for SGR, to do that a little differently. *cough*

Quote: Originally Posted by danpen View Post
SGR will be a good IDE in the game,as some people will like to it in game. And I'm one of them!
Agreed.

Revanchis
01.17.2013 , 06:28 PM | #5388
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Consular has my least favorite companions by far (by way far).

I do like Qyzen though.

Nadia's cool but you get her so late.

IDK, maybe you'll think differently.
From what I've read Zenith seems interesting, and Tharan is supposed to be funny. It's mostly being stuck with Qyzen I don't like, and only getting Nadia (the companion I'm looking forward to) really late. I'll probably end up running with Tharan until I get Nadia. He seems like he won't be too bad. You never know how people will match up to what's been read though. I thought Xalek would actually be worth a damn.

Samy_Merchi
01.17.2013 , 06:32 PM | #5389
Okay, I'm done.

In my book, SWTOR has been categorized a hetero romances only game.

I've managed to work my way into acceptance that my female characters will never be able to have romances, and I've managed (grudgingly) to create a few male characters that I don't find disgusting. So I gave them a six month sub. I expect I can get half a year's entertainment from the stories of the classes that I had been keeping on hold. I'm in for six months of this (effectively) het-only game. We'll see how I feel at the end of it whether I still want any more, or whether I'll run yet another Dragon Age 2 playthrough.
In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

JediMB
01.17.2013 , 07:13 PM | #5390
Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
I've managed (grudgingly) to create a few male characters that I don't find disgusting.
My solution when I wasn't able to create a male Smuggler I could stand playing... was to unlock Chiss for all classes.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.