Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TK effusion as tier 2 skill

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
TK effusion as tier 2 skill

MusicRider
01.17.2013 , 08:40 AM | #11
Yes it was mostly written from a pvp perspective although some bosses in pve have made me ROOF or go near (e.g. Kephess in Terror). Apologies for the mis-clarification. In pvp it does happen to live long enough to go ROOF and stalemates can happen. With the same play if I go hybrid I can't remember ever ROOF unless I bubble stun teammates and even then it takes longer than actually playing full balance attack. And the only difference is effusion in terms of force management. I agree that effusion results in brainless force management in balance, but the same applies for tk and hybrids. I suggested this as the only quick solution but I don't think it is the very best one. Although if effusion was reducing for 20-30% the cost and was moved in tier 2 it might be a fair exchange.

KeyboardNinja
01.17.2013 , 10:44 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
Have to disagree with you there. Spamming tk throw is force efficient but it is hardly your most efficient damage output and playing balance right. Project on the other hand can do near 4k instant when crit and when proc, so of course it should be used. Don't often use earthquake (certainly not on less than 3 people) as it lacks burst. Also ROOF comes from frequent use of weaken mind which for some reason you did not mention and it is one of the key abilities of balance.
Telekinetic Throw = 4 * (0.079 * 1610 + 0.79 * Bonus) / 2
Project = (avg(0.165, 0.205) * 1610 + 1.85 * Bonus) + 0.50 * (avg(0.073, 0.113) * 1610 + 0.925 * Bonus)

In terms of DPS, yes, Project is better than Telekinetic Throw. However, in terms of DPF, there's absolutely no contest. Project costs an ENORMOUS amount relative to its damage, whereas Telekinetic Throw is significantly mana-positive. Project should really be reserved for movement phases, and then only if you're *absolutely* confident in your mana pool.

Regarding Weaken Mind, as long as you aren't clipping and you have the 21 second duration, I can't see how you would go OOM refreshing your dots on cooldown. The only possibility really is that you're wasting time and force by burning the Presence of Mind proc on Disturbance (which should be removed from your bar).

With respect to the proposal itself, this would *massively* unbalance the Balance tree in terms of DPS output. Balance would suddenly be able to use Project on CD, which would be huge. TK Effusion belongs exactly where it currently sits: out of reach of both Balance and Hybrid builds.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

MusicRider
01.17.2013 , 12:11 PM | #13
Yes from a pve perspective I do agree with some of the points. From a pvp point of view this is totally not true. Both project and disturbance have their places in terms of single target burst and pressure, Also every hybrid takes effusion, at least 1 point is more than enough to make you not ROOF.

KeyboardNinja
01.17.2013 , 04:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
Yes from a pve perspective I do agree with some of the points. From a pvp point of view this is totally not true. Both project and disturbance have their places in terms of single target burst and pressure, Also every hybrid takes effusion, at least 1 point is more than enough to make you not ROOF.
I'm not sure if you've looked at the sage hybrids since the last skill tree readjustment, but there is no currently viable sage DPS hybrid which takes TK Effusion. The standard hybrid build, and really the only one that is viable right now, is 1/12/28. In order to get TK Effusion, you would have to give up the DoT enhancing talents in the Balance tree, which is a MASSIVE loss in DPS. Being able to use Project on cooldown doesn't even come close to offsetting the loss of these talents.

Now, there may be some PvP healer hybrids that take TK Effusion, but I have a hard time seeing it. Such builds are not viable in PvE at all.

Oh, and regarding Disturbance… Seriously, cut it out of your rotation. Its burst is lower than just spending that GCD on another Telekinetic Throw, and it's a far weaker skill than Project if you're kiting. The only time you really might use it is when Project is on cooldown and you NEED to move. Even then, it's pretty unlikely that you're going to see that situation without having Mind Crush or Force in Balance up.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)