Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Next two playable races

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ganondorq
01.17.2013 , 10:34 AM | #71
if people hate alien speak..... there's a REALLY simple solution to your problems. don't play that species!! omg i know, it's so cutting edge! but trust me, it works! and when you're spacebarring through your flashpoints, you still won't have to hear it! omg, right?

TUXs
01.17.2013 , 10:59 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by ganondorq View Post
if people hate alien speak..... there's a REALLY simple solution to your problems. don't play that species!! omg i know, it's so cutting edge! but trust me, it works! and when you're spacebarring through your flashpoints, you still won't have to hear it! omg, right?
Although a good suggestion, it wouldn't work. See, in this MMO, conversations are VERY common in group activities. Despite whatever "I" select for a race, I'll be forced to listen to Greed'yo speak gibberish. I'm with Bioware on this one.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

ganondorq
01.17.2013 , 11:02 AM | #73
see though... you wouldn't be forced to listen to it. you can just spacebar... everyone spacebars now unless they're new. if you've already seen something, what is the point in not spacebarring? there's a clear choice on whether or not you listen to the alien's speech. and if it's something you haven't yet see, just space bar what they say and read it while they're letting it play out.

Shai-Huluud
01.17.2013 , 11:02 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Although a good suggestion, it wouldn't work. See, in this MMO, conversations are VERY common in group activities. Despite whatever "I" select for a race, I'll be forced to listen to Greed'yo speak gibberish. I'm with Bioware on this one.
Of course, however, you wouldn't really experience significantly more of than you do now unless you ended up doing Flashpoints exclusively with Wookiee's and always lose the conversation /roll.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

AlexDougherty
01.17.2013 , 11:07 AM | #75
Selkath for Republic, I want to play one of these fish people, please.
Echani for Imperial, I only saw these in full armour in Kotor2, so lets see what they look like.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Altyrell
01.17.2013 , 11:29 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Echani for Imperial, I only saw these in full armour in Kotor2, so lets see what they look like.
I think that you might be confused because Brianna (The Handmaiden Companion in K2) is Half-Echani as were the other Handmaiden Sisters.

You sure you weren't thinking of the Iridonian for KOTOR 1?

HoboWithAStick
01.17.2013 , 11:40 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Shai-Huluud View Post
I understand it and I can see how the point appears compelling. I don't agree however.

Whilst it is reasonable to assert that long alien dialogue would be annoying it is not to say there isn't a way in which it can be made tolerable thus enabling players to enjoy the elements of playing a non basic speaking race that they are after.

Alien non basic dialogue doesn't need to spend as long saying the same thing. Something that takes 30 seconds to say in English might only take 10 seconds in Wookiee.

Don't forget, when its non basic alien noises you are going to be reading the subtitles anyway after which you can Spacebar.
Bioware/EA didn't spend all that cash on voice actors though just so we later become a wookie and listen to him growl for 2 Weeks while you level. They also aren't going to rewrite the storys dailog to accommodate a couple new races, that content is done and you shouldn't expect or even want it to be revisited. I understand how cool it would be to play as a wookie or jawa but you have to realise thats more of a fun goof around idea. Even if the voice acting wasn't the barrier swtor being a serious game is a barrier. In no way would a wookie, jawa or yoda class even fit into the class/stories we have.

Like I said I understand it would be cool to play those kind of fun races but it doesn't belong in a mmo like this. Playing those kind of races belong games like the force unleashed or star wars kinnect once you complete the game normally and can play through again as a wookie or something.

I would love to see more races added into the game though, bioware has lots of options they can go with. I hope they don't nickle and dime us for them either !

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.17.2013 , 11:46 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by ganondorq View Post
Honesty my opinion is that if you create a character who generally doesn't speak basic that somewhere in the game there's a preference toggle to set whether or not your character speaks basic or native. There could also be a 2nd toggle for "Make friendly players always speak basic in conversations" That way if I group with Tux playing a Wookie and I have native on but he has the make friendlies speak basic then on my computer the auto for a Wookie plays but on his the existing class voice over content is played.

Jagrattlehead
01.17.2013 , 12:15 PM | #79
Someone mentioned earlier the "droid translator device" from the novels. This could be implemented fairly easily I think as there are some masks and helmets that have a synthesized sound for each voice. So they wouldn't even have to do new vo, just make that synthesized voice default for new races that don't speak basic. Just my two cents.

Draaconis
01.17.2013 , 12:19 PM | #80
A race name and backgroud for whatever Yoda is now that George Freaking Lucas is not responsible for it anymore. Then, that race in the game.
ऄ█╬╬╬╬╬()╬█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇