Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New 50 switching to tank spec have some questions please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
New 50 switching to tank spec have some questions please
 

Marauder's Avatar


Marauder
01.16.2013 , 04:05 PM | #1
Hello, I have not played my assassin in a while and have recently switched over to a tank spec. I had leveled up using a hybrid madness spec.

I am trying to start doing the daily missions and would like to use either Ashara or HK as my dps companion. Can you please tell me as a new sin tank, what an atypical rotation would be to use? Also if anyone has some proven builds I could compare to what I did that would be great.

When tanking for a group, would the rotation asked for above be different?

Thank you for any help.

MasterFeign's Avatar


MasterFeign
01.16.2013 , 11:33 PM | #2
This build here is quite normal:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZZf0cM.2

For pve tanking. At low levels, putting 3 points in Shroud of Darkness isn't a huge benefit but it can be once you get better gear.

Rotation:

Dark ward (every time it's near the end
Taunt (force pull/mind control/mass mind control)
Wither
Shock
Thrash to proc shock
Shock
Force lighning (with 3 stacks of harnessed darkness

SOmething like that anyway. It's been a while since I've properly tanked.
You can also use discharge to gain some aoe threat and debuff the enemy with more accuracy debuffs.

ipagex's Avatar


ipagex
01.17.2013 , 05:25 AM | #3
I wouldn't use Taunt right off the bat if i was you. As the fight initiator you are gonna be the one to have aggro at first. Use Taunt when you lose that aggro.

For rotation check out this amazing site:
http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith...-and-cooldowns

It's helped me alot.

Griad's Avatar


Griad
01.17.2013 , 06:23 AM | #4
I am using this as a main tank for any ingame content

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZf0dZb.2

The shorter Jolt and the lower CD to discharge is nice aswell when u pull from stealth you can go much more bananas in the beginning because of the added force regen. On burn phases like Kephess in TFB on TFB the maul damage comes in handy aswell.
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse

Grumpftard's Avatar


Grumpftard
01.17.2013 , 07:47 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ipagex View Post
I wouldn't use Taunt right off the bat if i was you. As the fight initiator you are gonna be the one to have aggro at first. Use Taunt when you lose that aggro.

For rotation check out this amazing site:
http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith...-and-cooldowns

It's helped me alot.
The info on Noxxic is fairly right. 31/0/10 and the priority.
Alot of tanks have switched to a "thrashless" rotation. I rarely use thrash unless I just have an urge to try and force the proc. I shifted the talent points accordingly to somewhere more useful.
But if you are starting out.... The Noxxic info would be a great place to start.
TORVA NEX! (The Site) (The Video)
"You don't have to say more than that!!"
Grumpf =Tankasin / G'rumpf =Mara / Gru'mpf =Jugg / Grum'pf =P-Tech
Grump'f =Shadow / G'rump'f =Scoundrel / Gr'umpf =Operative / Jei'Dahl =Merc

JP_Legatus's Avatar


JP_Legatus
01.18.2013 , 11:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
This build here is quite normal:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZZf0cM.2

For pve tanking. At low levels, putting 3 points in Shroud of Darkness isn't a huge benefit but it can be once you get better gear.

Rotation:

Dark ward (every time it's near the end
Taunt (force pull/mind control/mass mind control)
Wither
Shock
Thrash to proc shock
Shock
Force lighning (with 3 stacks of harnessed darkness

SOmething like that anyway. It's been a while since I've properly tanked.
You can also use discharge to gain some aoe threat and debuff the enemy with more accuracy debuffs.
If you shock first then wither you get to 3x HD faster.
Also I go thrashless for full darkness now due to force issues in that spec. I still run out of force sometimes even in thrashless, so I know you guys are having trouble with thrash as your filler. It's because of the expensive shock.... 50 force isn't something you can spend regularly in any spec.
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

HoboWithAStick's Avatar


HoboWithAStick
01.19.2013 , 04:03 PM | #7
Trash should be used allot as a sin tank to proc your auto crit shock. That being said you should be using wither and discharge off cooldown and should always be working towards 3 stacks of harness darkness for the awesome channeled heal from force lightening. That being said just like every SIN spec in the game you should be using the free attack when you are below 20 force.

Tips
Use force pull on the way into combat (even on bosses)
Taunt after about 9 secs into combat as this builds threat on the threat you have already built
Open up with wrecklessness and overcharge saber (more healing and more damage from saber stance=More agro)

If you have any doubts on what I'm saying check out my sig =)

SnoggyMack's Avatar


SnoggyMack
01.24.2013 , 09:28 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Griad View Post
I am using this as a main tank for any ingame content

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZf0dZb.2

The shorter Jolt and the lower CD to discharge is nice aswell when u pull from stealth you can go much more bananas in the beginning because of the added force regen. On burn phases like Kephess in TFB on TFB the maul damage comes in handy aswell.
What good is duplicity for a tank? I mean, how often do you maul to make it worth the points?
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

bbare's Avatar


bbare
01.26.2013 , 04:00 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Griad View Post
I am using this as a main tank for any ingame content

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZf0dZb.2

The shorter Jolt and the lower CD to discharge is nice aswell when u pull from stealth you can go much more bananas in the beginning because of the added force regen. On burn phases like Kephess in TFB on TFB the maul damage comes in handy aswell.
That is pretty bad, man. First of all, maul is almost useless as a tank as the mobs you are tanking are going to be facing you the whole time. Second, The discharge reduced cooldown is pointless because the debuff is already longer than the cooldown. Finally, there is no point in getting the extra force regen from exiting stealth, you lose aggro when you cloak, and threat generation shouldn't be a problem for an assassin if you know how to play the class. There is no reason to cloak other than to refresh your medpac use, and that is only in rare situations when you can afford to lose aggro, not to mention the fact that these situations usually are in rest phases where your standard force regen is fine.
The Vanity Legacy

bbare's Avatar


bbare
01.26.2013 , 04:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HoboWithAStick View Post
Trash should be used allot as a sin tank to proc your auto crit shock. That being said you should be using wither and discharge off cooldown and should always be working towards 3 stacks of harness darkness for the awesome channeled heal from force lightening. That being said just like every SIN spec in the game you should be using the free attack when you are below 20 force.

Tips
Use force pull on the way into combat (even on bosses)
Taunt after about 9 secs into combat as this builds threat on the threat you have already built
Open up with wrecklessness and overcharge saber (more healing and more damage from saber stance=More agro)

If you have any doubts on what I'm saying check out my sig =)
I disagree with the use of thrash a lot, because it will ruin your force management. However, I'm interested in your theory that force pulling immune targets will still increase threat. Do you have any evidence to prove this?
The Vanity Legacy