Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Switching Specs

jonkrus
12.13.2011 , 12:49 PM | #1
While enduring the long darkness before SWTOR is released, I was reading that you would be able to switch specs to accommodate different situations. I had picture this similar to Rift, where you could switch up on the fly with established builds i.e., healer, dps, tank, support, blah blah.

While playing the beta I noticed that there was no functionality for this. Healers were healers, tanks were tanks. I get that each class has a certain role, but I thought we were going to have more flexibility within those roles.

Dasffion
12.13.2011 , 12:51 PM | #2
I don't remember reading anything about this but you can switch your companions on the fly and you have every type of role available once you get all your companions.

jonkrus
12.13.2011 , 12:54 PM | #3
Yeah, I guess my observation is that I don't always want to end up being the healer just because I'm a Jedi Sage, or a scoundrel.

Gomla
12.13.2011 , 01:05 PM | #4
As it stands, there is no way to switch "spec" besides paying for respecs.

They did comment they may add a dual spec type thing in at a later date but no news as to when.

enutt
12.13.2011 , 01:25 PM | #5
We need to define what we mean by "spec". At the moment bith AC and talent trees are set and immutable. Based upon some of the dev posts, I would expect to see talent trees able to be reset, but I have not seen any evidence that AC's will be able to be changed in the future.
All that is required for the triumph of the Empire is for good Republicans to do nothing.

jonkrus
12.13.2011 , 01:33 PM | #6
By spec, I mean talent tree choices that have an effect on a specific role such as healing or tanking. I'm not interested in changing AC, and it may not be good for a story-based MMO to be able to change on the fly. Maybe an ability to have different specs with an extremely long cool down.

Gomla
12.13.2011 , 01:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by enutt View Post
We need to define what we mean by "spec". At the moment bith AC and talent trees are set and immutable. .
By "spec" I meant talent tree's not AC.

Back on topic....

There is no way at all to switch AC once you pick but you can pay to respec your talents within the AC you picked.

For instance, a Sorc can pick between DPS and Healing but can't switch over to Assassin.

Juggernaut can Tank or DPS but can't hop over to Marauder.

There is a cost to respec and it can get quite steep the more you do it.

I wouldn't expect a dual spec system any time soon though.

NightHawke
12.13.2011 , 01:42 PM | #8
I remember a video interview that stated this. I just dont remember which one. They said that you would be able to change it, but not in combat, and not so often. But the option would not be out at launch.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.