Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I be affronted

CNS_Sarajevo
01.16.2013 , 06:04 AM | #31
Just thinking, I wonder when English accents for the Empire became the norm? Was it casting Peter Cushing as Tarkin? Ben Kenobi played a Jedi, so that counts the other way. Most of the other Imperial accents in the first movie were American. Maybe it's because you can't say "m'lord" as an American and have it sound right.

thomasbaxter
01.16.2013 , 01:19 PM | #32
"Peter Cushing as Tarkin? "

OMG I forgot all about that haha. As far as I'm aware I only heard 1 scottish accent (maybe 2) and that was a doc on Kaas i think.

For the record, Palpatine's scottish too just sounds evil-er

legolegion
01.16.2013 , 01:29 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
We are the wretched refuse!
yep you are

DAWUSS
01.16.2013 , 01:30 PM | #34
What's mind boggling is how accents change because of the government that controls them. Accents should be based on planets, not ruling governments.

DAWUSS
01.16.2013 , 01:32 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
There is no such thing as "American Language".

Its called English.

Yu spik engrish wel?
As an American, after hanging around with enough Englishmen (and Englishwomen), I've realized that the English spoken by The Queen's Subjects isn't quite the same English in the Land of the Free.

CaptRavenous
01.16.2013 , 05:43 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
As an American, after hanging around with enough Englishmen (and Englishwomen), I've realized that the English spoken by The Queen's Subjects isn't quite the same English in the Land of the Free.
There's more english-speaking countries than just Britain and America.

Australia, Britain, and the U.S. are countries where English is the de facto language, then there are around 56 Sovereign countries where English is an official language. Like EVERY language, English has its own dialects, which are variations on the same language, such as the difference between British English and American English.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

GalacticKegger
01.16.2013 , 06:00 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
"You yanks call it a toilet, we call it a loo. You call it a trunk, we call it a boot. You pronounce it "erbs" while we pronounce it "herbs" ... because it's got a f***ing 'h' in it." ~ Eddie Izzard
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Khevar
01.16.2013 , 06:55 PM | #38
"You yanks call it a toilet, we call it a loo. You call it a trunk, we call it a boot. You pronounce it "erbs" while we pronounce it "herbs" ... because it's got a f***ing 'h' in it." ~ Eddie Izzard
I'll never forget the offended look a Brit gave me when I said something about getting smacked in the fanny.

Akiviri
01.16.2013 , 07:33 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I'll never forget the offended look a Brit gave me when I said something about getting smacked in the fanny.
ROFLMAO!!!

Did they happen to explain why? LOLOL

Akiviri
01.16.2013 , 07:34 PM | #40
Yeah, but that's about the only time an "H" gets pronounced lol