Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanishing commendations upon Preferred status.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Vanishing commendations upon Preferred status.

Gabrandt
11.27.2012 , 10:06 AM | #1
I am posting this on behalf of a friend on my server, whose account went from Subscriber to Preferred when her credit card expires. Apparently, not only is your access to the forums lost when you go Preferred, but you also can't create in-game tickets to ask for help.

As we all know, there is a credit limit when you're f2p or when you're a preferred-status player (250 and 350 K respectively) but we're having trouble finding out if the same applies to commendations of various sorts.

My friend had 1800 fleet commendations from doing an obscene amount of space missions. Upon completing the daily (Chiss Ascendancy mission) this number was reduced down to 325 (the limit for preferred players).

What we want to know is: Are the remaining 1475 commendations locked in a "limbo", to be returned to my friend once she subscribes again, or have they disappeared forever?
The dark side perceives all.

JohnWYB
11.27.2012 , 10:19 AM | #2
This would be the case. I had a friend who went down to free to play from a sub and lost 100 Black Hole Commendations. I understand how much of a loss it is, but it just happens. I understand that they are gone foreever too as they have since re-subbed and they did not return.

Oh well, he will just have to do some more dailies

Gavin_Kelvar
01.16.2013 , 03:28 PM | #3
So I know this is a bump but this seems like the devs really should clarify this. Especially since it can severely punish subs who let their sub lapse for personal reasons and then find out they lost a boat load of comms when they resub. If you do loose commendations permanently I'd like to know where the logic is. As it pertains to subs the approach that comms are lost permanently and not put in escrow would seem to be deciding to use F2P as a way of punishing people when before F2P all your credits, comms, and other stuff would still be waiting for you when you resub.

I know my work won't always leave me with enough time to make maintaining a sub in a given month make sense. So I for one would like to know if commendations go into escrow and if they don't why the devs decided not to have any excess comms either already earned or earned as Preferred don't go into escrow like excess credits.

abokado
01.16.2013 , 04:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnWYB View Post
This would be the case. I had a friend who went down to free to play from a sub and lost 100 Black Hole Commendations. I understand how much of a loss it is, but it just happens. I understand that they are gone foreever too as they have since re-subbed and they did not return.

Oh well, he will just have to do some more dailies
What!? If that's true, they should have absolutely told us so. I plan to let my sub run out for 2 weeks since it will fall right into exam week and I won't get to play at all.. but if that means losing all my comms then I don't have no other choice but to resub asap even though I won't be playing for 2 weeks.
This is a serious problem.

AlixMV
01.16.2013 , 05:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by abokado View Post
What!? If that's true, they should have absolutely told us so.
They did.

(Source: Free-to-Play FAQ)
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

Gavin_Kelvar
01.16.2013 , 08:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
While that's all well and good they should explain why they decided to penalize any subscriber who, for whatever reason, lets their subscription lapse. Not everyone is quitting or intends to remain Preferred, some people let it lapse because they won't be able to play or play enough to make full use of a subscription.

Before F2P all your stuff would be kept and be waiting for you exactly as you left it when you returned. Now they've in essence decided to say that they will penalize any subscriber who does not remain subscribed every day for the life time of the game by permanently removing commendations they earned if it is more than the cap allows. Being able to continue playing the game is not sufficient compensation for permanently loosing stuff you earned while subscribed.

It's one thing to say there's a cap, it's another to design the system so that things you earn as a subscriber will not be kept if your subscription lapses for even a day. Under no circumstances should subscribers have to choose between paying for a subscription they won't be able to use for a while or permanently loosing they earned as a subscriber.

DarthMeridian
01.16.2013 , 09:39 PM | #7
One possible workaround, that comes to my mind is to buy stuff for ur commendations in ur last login as a subscriber - dont login with that character for the duration of your preffered status and when you resub - just reimburse the stuff for your commendations.
If the credits also disappear - send 350k to each of ur alts or buy stuff from GTN, that is easily sellable.
It sucks i know.

ConradLionhart
01.18.2013 , 07:50 AM | #8
This is terrible.

How can you do this to your subscribers? I let my subscription run out today, but wanted to try out preferred to see how long I could last.

Once I knew there was a commendations limit from doing the daily hardmode flashpoint, I decided that I should sub.

Upon subscribing, I thought I would get back the commendations that I had. You are telling me that they are lost forever?

Luckily I spent the important BH commendations so that it never reached the limit. But I don't want to lose my other commendations, because they are useful in gearing up companions, and the daily comms can be used to buy the dreadguard trinkets.

This is terrible. I thought there would be an escrow like credits, but there aren't. I'm seriously shocked at this, and I hope they will do something to restore my commendations.

I really don't want to be like those people who keep threatening to quit, but this has upset me greatly, and can only discourage me from spending time in this MMO.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Diedel
01.18.2013 , 11:09 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
That could be a it more precisely said. I would expected that there is a limit on commendations and you can't earn any after you have reached your limit, not that you actually loose any above your limit. So if you had 500 before you go non-sub you just can't earn additional ones until you drop below your new limit.

I actually think that my trooper kept his commendations even when i was playing him preferred status, so i might even only happen if you did sub during the f2p time and the sub runs out, because he has more than the 20 planet commendations for many planets.

DarthMeridian
01.19.2013 , 02:21 AM | #10
I cannot believe that somebody can be so stupid by not presuming this will happen. Its clearly not intentional feature.
I have law education and i know the laws, which regulates certain aspect of social life dont always count with every possible situation that can occur, but we have amendments for this kind of cases.
I played for 20 days at the launch of this game and now after a year i subscribed for another month. I experienced at least 10-20 annoying bugs multiple times (some of them 1 year old). This is the buggiest mmo i have played so far.
I have at least a dozen of suggestions for improvement. Why should i care ? - the developers obviously dont care about us. You think that developers should be a smart people. The should have college/university degrees from IT or something like that. Well, even some educated people lack common sense. I doubt that this will be fixed soon. Another reason why this game sucks. Whatever they are paying the developers - its too much.