Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

thomasbaxter
01.16.2013 , 01:12 PM | #111
Haha tbh I have on occassion joined in and I'm a subber but sometimes the general chat is hilarious. Whoever says it's just f2p is nonsense as the subbers are as bad. I don't mind some adult jokes etc by people who have actually thought about what they are saying and found myself in tears at some of the responses to trollers etc. What I find more annoying are the ones who keep putting non-amusing (albeit clean) garbage in there. Here are my top 10 general chat PEEEVS lol

1) "Cake Is A Lie".....(ok this was funny for a bit, but now every idiot says it every 2 minutes with "Pie is a lie" "Cake is pie" and utter nonsense and it just grinds on you. That said when these idiots hit planets after the 2nd one they get told to shut up more haha)

2) "We have cookies".....(***, seriously......why is this funny?)

3) English speaking people deliberately talking in their native tongues to pee off the general chat. Even their own countrymen get narked off by this. You don't RP in general chat, so don't speak dutch in english chat.

4) Racism......eugh....nuff said

5) "This game's stupid, you can't even swear in chat without getting bleeped out"....(yeh it's the game that's stupid)

6) Spoilers.....(why do idiots love to mention every single thing they've done in their class quests to general chat? we don't wanna hear it!!)

7) "How do i get to?.....".......(use the map!)

8) F2Pers moaning that they have a limited experience.......u get what u pay for

9) "It's sick I can't even play this game cause I don't have a credit card. Why don't they let us play".......UKASH and TIMECARDS are available everywhere.

10) "GW2 is better than this. Go over there"...."WOW does this bit better"...other MMO comparisons....zzzz

Khevar
01.16.2013 , 02:09 PM | #112
@thomasbaxter I'll add to this

11) The ALL-CAPS screamers on the Imperial Fleet on Begeren Colony, who shout at each other in Czechoslovakian or something.

amaresch
01.22.2013 , 09:07 PM | #113
The Harbinger. Gen chat on multiple planets, both factions has been especially vulgar. It is happening now and needs to be addressed. Had one post saying that he/she hopes little kids were raped by their fathers.

I submitted ticket(7902883), ignored a bunch of participants, and once again turned chat off.

I'm getting angry that to enjoy the game I have to turn off chat. Might as well make this a single player game. Rules enforcement needs to happen, and quickly. These people are pushing the boundaries, not being dealt with, and are pushing further. I submitted the ticket knowing it probably won't be addressed for a while and so I posted this here hoping it will get to right peoples eyes sooner.
L'héritage S'Attarde
The Harbinger

Kakashioftheye
01.22.2013 , 09:57 PM | #114
I'm all for tolerance and open-mindedness, but maturity is a two way street. I know that if I were to read something that offended me in general chat, I wouldn't dwell on it. I also know that if it continued to bother me, I would just close it. General chat is only really helpful to ask the community questions about the game, troll, and gold spam. The one thing that aggravates me about the SWTOR community is their willingness to whine about everything under the sun... It gets old people. Maybe its just the times, but it feels like people get way too worked up over words...

amaresch
01.22.2013 , 10:26 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakashioftheye View Post
I'm all for tolerance and open-mindedness, but maturity is a two way street. I know that if I were to read something that offended me in general chat, I wouldn't dwell on it. I also know that if it continued to bother me, I would just close it. General chat is only really helpful to ask the community questions about the game, troll, and gold spam. The one thing that aggravates me about the SWTOR community is their willingness to whine about everything under the sun... It gets old people. Maybe its just the times, but it feels like people get way too worked up over words...
No... This is tolerance taken too far. Why are there rules? Why are they not enforced? Why do normal people have to be at the mercy of degenerates? Why should normal people just shrug and look for justification instead of solutions?

I've been ignoring and shutting off chat for too long now. I personally cannot do anything to the people who wouldn't dare say the things they say to a persons face that is written in chat- and it is getting progressively more insulting, obscene, immature. That is why there needs to be enforcement. Tolerance isn't working because there is no threat of consequences. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I don't dwell on most of the inane chatter that is gen chat. But when you see someone talking about ****** children- and others attacking people who express outrage and disgust over such a statement; something needs to be done. If people can't act with some semblance of a respectable human then they need to be dealt with.

Follow the rules agreed to when the game was installed, or pay the consequences. Me turning off my chat is not a solution, but a self imposed hindrance because there is no one with the power to address these type issues.
L'héritage S'Attarde
The Harbinger

Kakashioftheye
01.22.2013 , 11:47 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by amaresch View Post
No... This is tolerance taken too far. Why are there rules? Why are they not enforced? Why do normal people have to be at the mercy of degenerates? Why should normal people just shrug and look for justification instead of solutions?

I've been ignoring and shutting off chat for too long now. I personally cannot do anything to the people who wouldn't dare say the things they say to a persons face that is written in chat- and it is getting progressively more insulting, obscene, immature. That is why there needs to be enforcement. Tolerance isn't working because there is no threat of consequences. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I don't dwell on most of the inane chatter that is gen chat. But when you see someone talking about ****** children- and others attacking people who express outrage and disgust over such a statement; something needs to be done. If people can't act with some semblance of a respectable human then they need to be dealt with.

Follow the rules agreed to when the game was installed, or pay the consequences. Me turning off my chat is not a solution, but a self imposed hindrance because there is no one with the power to address these type issues.
All right, I read your manifesto and I thought that maybe I should restate my point. I don't bear any ill will towards your argument what-so-ever, but your outrage comes across as a little melodramatic. While I may not be a highly offend-able person, you seem to get regularly offended by these shenanigans. My point is that people have wildly different perspectives. What may seem offensive to you may be entirely acceptable to someone else. Maybe a compromise would be to have a filtered chat selection. That way you could choose the type of general chat that you would like to be a part of. There could even be RP-general chats that focus on maintaining your characters persona.

slafko
01.23.2013 , 03:09 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
3) English speaking people deliberately talking in their native tongues to pee off the general chat. Even their own countrymen get narked off by this. You don't RP in general chat, so don't speak dutch in english chat.
Why would a Hungarian guild recruit Hungarians using English?

The servers are European and I find the diversity of languages only enriches my gaming experience.

dunphyr
01.23.2013 , 10:36 AM | #118
This isn't about being offensive or being rude. This is about people thinking others need to act a certain way and then crying when they realize that they cant force others to adopt the same philosophy about how people should act.

Would you call the cops to complain that your neighbor is swearing in his house and if you go up to his windows and peek in you can hear it? No. If you don't like it, then don't go listen.

If you want there to be regulation because you get offended, then there are already numerous fixes for this (igonre, filter, turn off general chat). Just don't listen.

If you want regulation because you don't like that others can act in a way that you find deplorable, then tough. If it were that easy then I would report everyone that complains in gen chat about what others are saying because I find that more deplorable then what is being said by some 12 yr old that doesn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy so he has to use trolling to get people to talk to him.

Khevar
01.23.2013 , 11:48 AM | #119
Sure, defend the right of people to threaten others in general chat to go to their house and r*pe their children. Some people might find this offensive, but others find it perfectly acceptable, right? Hey, it's just a little harmless smack talk ...

Um, NO.

KratorOfCondor
01.23.2013 , 12:24 PM | #120
I agree the chat has become disgusting. I can understand people wanting or needing info. These guys that come on and swear a blue streak talking to others like they own the damn game. Its getting to the point that I don't even go into or turn on Gen chat. Only to get a group for a heroic. That is it.

Bioware needs to start banning accounts of people that do this and that includes subscribers. It gets sickening to constantly see people bashing each other. I put the number of people in my ignore list that I see doing these things I would not see anyone talking in Gen chat at all most of the time.

Sexual innuendo and religious bashing trash talk racism swearing and depravity are just a start. Do something about this guys. Monitoring it is just a start. I suggest a 24 hour ban then move to a week and then permanent.