Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cover Mechanic - Not Available to All Classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Cover Mechanic - Not Available to All Classes?

Shadowclaimer
12.20.2011 , 02:24 PM | #1
Was gravely GRAVELY disappointed to find out the cover mechanic was unique to the Smuggler/Agent, was heavily looking forward to using it on my Trooper and Bounty Hunter only to find it wasn't. I wouldn't even care about bonuses for the most part, just for the sake of how cool it is.

Seems like a waste to leave it only useable by them, hell even Jedi/Sith would probably use it to duck behind and dodge blaster fire once in awhile. (When they aren't swatting blaster bolts out of the sky with their lightsabers).

Anyone else feel this way?
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!

Katahn
12.20.2011 , 02:27 PM | #2
Honestly? No.

I definitely don't see a cover mechanic as being applicable to any jedi or sith, and the example bounty hunters tended to be right out in the open too. Basically Han Solo (and Amidala was kind of in this same vein in the prequels) were the only ones doing any sort of duck-and-cover stuff.

Basically, the guys with heavy armor and/or the Force tended to stand out in the open while the guys with only their smarts and reflexes took cover.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

Shadowclaimer
12.20.2011 , 02:29 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Katahn View Post
Honestly? No.

I definitely don't see a cover mechanic as being applicable to any jedi or sith, and the example bounty hunters tended to be right out in the open too. Basically Han Solo (and Amidala was kind of in this same vein in the prequels) were the only ones doing any sort of duck-and-cover stuff.

Basically, the guys with heavy armor and/or the Force tended to stand out in the open while the guys with only their smarts and reflexes took cover.
Then at least the Troopers/Bounty Hunters? Heavy armor or not you see the Fetts and Troopers do it frequently throughout the movies.

(Sith/Jedi was a stretch truthfully I'll admit that)

JasonV
12.20.2011 , 03:08 PM | #4
No, not at all. Besides, cover is laggy at the moment.

Shadowclaimer
12.20.2011 , 03:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JasonV View Post
No, not at all. Besides, cover is laggy at the moment.
Then can you at least be for Troopers getting animations for ducking behind it to look cool while fighting or crouching?

Come on, throw me a bone here.. standing right out in the open firing my blaster rifle just looks lame and uncinematic.

JasonV
12.20.2011 , 03:12 PM | #6
What level are you? I beta'd a Trooper, loved the cinematics... plus did a ton of damage in PvP.

Shadowclaimer
12.20.2011 , 03:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JasonV View Post
What level are you? I beta'd a Trooper, loved the cinematics... plus did a ton of damage in PvP.
I'm a 14 Trooper, I love the class with every fabric of my being, I just wish I had some cooler firing animations where I wasn't just standing still at all times (I tend to run and gun a lot just to avoid that). I'd like if some of my shots had a random chance to make me crouch to one knee or something while firing, or if I moved up to a piece of cover if I'd crouch behind it while i fired.

Just something to make it more cinematic in fighting, with my marauder and such I deflect blaster bolts on defends and stuff and it looks awesome, kinda wish I had an effect like that for my Vanguard.

Edit: and yes, adoring this class in PvP.

Mantang
12.20.2011 , 04:00 PM | #8
I think of it this way.

As a Jedi knight I'm in your face and don't really have a sustainable ranged attack so why would I bother?

As a Jedi Sage I have a bubble that shields me so why would I hide?

As a Jedi Shadow I can stealth and be on your *** so why bother?

As a Vanguard I am in improved armor so I can take the stray blasts as we go back and forth.

As a Commando there's no way in hell I'd keep jumping out of cover to lug that monstrous gun into position.

As a gunslinger I'm wearing a leather jacket..... I need that rock.