Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this a viable PvP build for a Powertech?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Is this a viable PvP build for a Powertech?

Trevock
12.20.2011 , 02:47 PM | #1

badalchemist
12.20.2011 , 03:23 PM | #2
Which cylinder are you planning on using? You have talents for both Ion Gas Cylinder and High Energy Gas Cylinder.

Trevock
12.20.2011 , 03:39 PM | #3
Ion Gas Cylinder seems to have more to offer.

Guurzak
12.20.2011 , 03:50 PM | #4
In that case, your points in Pneumatic Boots are wasted.

If you look at the relative utility of Retractable Blade (even talented) versus Heat Blast, a 31-point Shield Tech build looks a lot more attractive than your hybrid spec.

chainsawsamurai
12.20.2011 , 03:58 PM | #5
I did a couple of Beta weekends and Retractable Blade was always my #1 priority when leveling. Getting that DoT up for Rail Shot procs seemed really awesome.

It is entirely unnecessary however. The talent in the ST tree makes your Rocket Punch apply a DoT. Once you've tried that Retractable Blade just feels really inefficient. Sure it is spammable (heat pending), and sure it will do a decent amount of damage if it runs its duration, but the ratio of immediate damage to the DoT component feels really lacking.

In PvE, my rotation feels a lot smoother without RB and I can use my heat a lot more proactively on better moves.

In PvP you want Burst damage, something that RB doesn't provide nearly as well as RP -> RS on their own.

I had planned on a similar build for PvP, but now that I don't miss RB I'm not sure what I'll do instead. Probably go to Heat Blast for significantly improved heat efficiency and then try to pick up as many maximizing talents for RP and RS as possible.

badalchemist
12.20.2011 , 03:58 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Trevock View Post
Ion Gas Cylinder seems to have more to offer.
Then you're going to want the points that make Rocket Punch proc IGC, which will cause periodic damage, which will allow you to use Rail Shot, which makes Retractable Blade not as attractive. And you won't be able to use Pneumatic Boots like the other poster said.