Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PurpleCliff
01.16.2013 , 06:43 AM | #1931
Quote: Originally Posted by MyPetMonkey View Post
Maybe we are doing this wrong? Perhaps we should be creating shiny brochures and trying to coerce US west coasters onto our servers....
Ha yes that's an interesting way to look at it all. Though we shouldn't have to do that, BioWare should do it.

Getting a ad on Australian TV, a dev interview in popular media or any other SWTOR advertising in Australia could make a massive difference. I may not be well versed in the art of marketing, but it seems a no-brainer to me.

Why not actually put a tiny bit of work into selling the game to Australians?

Well, not to get too ranty, but why stop there? Sell the game in the US too. This game is way under-marketed atm.
The Bastion
Agent Cislunar Lord Seismometer Hunter Telescope Sith Escarpment Master Propellant Trooper Fluorocarbon

Fornix
01.16.2013 , 07:33 AM | #1932
Quote: Originally Posted by PurpleCliff View Post
Ha yes that's an interesting way to look at it all. Though we shouldn't have to do that, BioWare should do it.

Getting a ad on Australian TV, a dev interview in popular media or any other SWTOR advertising in Australia could make a massive difference. I may not be well versed in the art of marketing, but it seems a no-brainer to me.

Why not actually put a tiny bit of work into selling the game to Australians?

Well, not to get too ranty, but why stop there? Sell the game in the US too. This game is way under-marketed atm.
A lot, if not most, advertisement for MMO's comes out of player word of mouth. EA can get a developer all they want on Australia television, however the moment the average gamer googles the title up for a little more info and is faced with waves of negative comments on the internet, (s)he'll be quickly turned down.

In this regard I personally think the player's can be of much greater importance than EA. Just start by bringing positive messages surrounding the game to Australian gaming boards, metacritic, etc. Rather than trying to get more gaming sites to post on how dead those servers would be.

After all, if you were looking to play a game after you just saw an ad about it; which would you rather play?

1. The game of which many people complain servers are dead, gaming sites write on the subject as well, and there's little positive to be found.
2. You find many comments on the game of players which are really enjoying the questing, find a well sociable atmosphere and have fun playing.

I know I for one would avoid no.1 like the plague. A publisher can try and advertise all it wants, however if the community has taken over the shovels and started digging a grave so deep even the bottom can no longer be seen, I'll be going well around it.
Member of <Helix>

Antiskeptic
01.16.2013 , 10:43 AM | #1933
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
2. You find many comments on the game of players which are really enjoying the questing, find a well sociable atmosphere and have fun playing.
Lying is bad for your health.
//

JovethGonzalez
01.16.2013 , 10:50 AM | #1934 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.

NinjatisedLemon
01.16.2013 , 10:58 AM | #1935
Nowei
(Ascension Strikes Back)(The Sith'ari)
Katre (50 Trooper) Caaden (50 Guardian) Ka'tre (50 Maurader)
Bergeren Colony
The Karrot is Back!

SithVeritas
01.16.2013 , 11:03 AM | #1936
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread..

...Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.
Add transfers period.

It's something that should be your number 1 priority and it'll solve APAC issues.

Amlici
01.16.2013 , 11:19 AM | #1937
Quote: Originally Posted by MyPetMonkey View Post
Maybe we are doing this wrong? Perhaps we should be creating shiny brochures and trying to coerce US west coasters onto our servers....
There is already a quite few US players here. I know on Dalborra a couple of the biggest guilds are pretty much run by americians. Personally i think the game just needs an injection of life to attract alot of gamers here from other games. Most people here know about the game because we have servers here in our region.
Amlici 50 Operative Onti 50 Scoundrel
Dalborra APAC

orpheus
01.16.2013 , 11:38 AM | #1938
i would like the ability to play my existing legacy (lvl 49) on US west servers. Having played on Master Dar'nala for the better part of a year now, the population of a US West server such as Bastion or Harbinger is much more attractive.

I fear for some though Bioware its too little too late.

odonoghuet
01.16.2013 , 12:07 PM | #1939
Thank you for replying Joveth.

As you have stated there is no obvious answer but I know from talks during intra guild meetings on Gav Daragon that there are plenty of players who find it hard to justify committing to the game over the long wait times on GF and WZ queues, as well as difficulty finding groups to even try end game ops and world bosses. This of course impacts on sales for Cartel coins and subscriptions.

The population on each server individually does not allow playing of the game as intended or advertised. But there does seem to be enough across all combined for a single server akin to the super servers of other regions.

In no way would all players be satisfied by being merged, with good reason.

In no way would all players want to close down all three servers and move to the US servers as lag times would make our players less compedative for NiM ops and PVP across that distance.

I personally think a merger would be the way to go, sacrificing the smaller two servers to the stronger, but backed up by an option for players from those servers to get transfers as soon as available to other region servers if they would prefer thier server type over the latency issue.

No doubt you are resigned to getting flack for whichever way you finally decide to go, but please keep the forums informed of what you can as this progresses. The silence has been distressing.
Laugh and the universe laughs with you, cry and you're on the path to the dark side.

Antiskeptic
01.16.2013 , 12:22 PM | #1940
The options I see:

- Do nothing.
- Merge all 3 servers
- Open transfers to one APAC Server
- Open transfers to one American server of each type e.g the bastion, harbringer and a rp server.
- Both of the transfer ideas

The option I'm batting for, merge all 3 servers. This will Solve population issues at least until paid transfer service (Or whatever is planned later down the track) where people whom are asking for transfers to American servers can do so. (I'm obviously not 100% sure, but I feel like they would be the minority of people who want SOMETHING done.) I also think that merging the servers into a PVE server and people experiencing the larger population that all 3 would bring may reduce the number of people wanting transfer to American server (Obviously you'll never really satisfy everyone though.) I do think that keeping an APAC server open will entice future APAC players to join the game and I know many players who will leave the game if the APAC servers are closed.

Edit: I should also add I think opening up transfers to just anywhere before this issue is resolved will not fix the population issues but only serve to make the population issues even worse than they are.
//