Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Isoviel
01.14.2013 , 02:41 PM | #2551
That was great Striges! Mirialan is my favorite species and I like how you used the symbolism of the tattoos

bright_ephemera
01.14.2013 , 05:15 PM | #2552
@Tonxix, welcome to the thread! We don't see much of the EU (extended universe) such as the Overlords in our character backgrounds; I always like learning new existing-Star-Wars stuff and finding it woven into a new story. Your entry was quite readable; I think the only distracting things for me as a native speaker were the absence of capitals on "Jedi" and "Sith" and the use of ampersands (&) rather than "and."

@Mags, good to see you back, and Miriah, too! Major d'aw for the worrying and reassurance there.

@Striges, always glad to see more Jurial. I sympathize...rather a lot...with "My several instructors will testify to my insatiable curiosity. I suspect I was--and am--not always an easy student."

Now, Behind the Scenes inspired 800 words about ol' Mellekor, my first-ever Sith Warrior but also the one who has only inspired one other fanfic scene ever. So, here, Mellekor, have the stage. No spoilers.

Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 05:19 PM | #2553
Really liked that Striges made me doodle (a lot) at work today (we were dead, honest) about what I'd have Broan's chin tattoo be.

Lovely insight, Bright. DS Jaesa does feel a little... unfinished in the conversations. Like you've been dumped with this borderline maniac hell-bent on destroying everything just because she can. Glimpsed the Dark Side and let it envelop her, rather than her it. I get the feeling that Jaesa might just wind up and end up on a path of self destruction, with or without Mellekor's help.

NoTLP: Confessions

Spoiler

Taking place "currently", so after Loyalty. The box in question is the holocron in Discoveries. I should imagine Jedi holocrons aren't exactly something that non-Sith could just have lying around, even if they are really, really pretty.

I feel out of practice, I'm not sure how well this piece came out :/

Isoviel
01.14.2013 , 06:24 PM | #2554
Time for a drumroll! Bring out the trumpets! It's time! The moment we've (or at least I've) been waiting for! It's finished! No spoilers. Set the day before Goals.
Prompt: Combination NotLP Bad Memories/Worst Day Ever
Title: Why I Hate the Jedi

Spoiler

Author notes:
Spoiler

iamthehoyden
01.14.2013 , 06:38 PM | #2555
Irrissa - "but I think I will install a new lock on the door to my quarters." A wise woman, very wise.

Tonxix - Welcome to the thread!

Magdalane - D'awww Miriah and Corso. I get the worry-induced insomnia though, poor peoples.

Striges - By the way I LOVE the image of Crae as having a crocodile smile, although I never would have thought of using that phrase. Thank you for that! And I love this: "Actions have far-reaching consequences. Not all are predictable. Not all are visible." What a wonderful reminder for a Jedi.

Bright - ""If I knew a Sith worth having as a consort I would have taken her already," he said coldly..." Oooo ouch, and wow, you can practically feel the power of that guy rolling off the page...er screen.

Tatile - Omg a proposal!! Squeee!!! "Yes, you are. Good men try." Love that

Isoviel - Nice to have some insight into why she feels as she does.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
01.15.2013 , 09:39 AM | #2556
Hoyden, Mellekor is an arrogant jerk. I'm pretty sure he maxed out the Arrogance stat and takes penalties in other stats at every opportunity to pad Arrogance instead. I'm sure that if I map out his storyline this is going to bite him.

On a related note all relationships or even attempted relationships in which a Dark Side character is dominant come out horrible. I can think of no other way Mellekor would handle Jaesa, but, ugh. Physical abuse in private to maintain fear/control and support one's preferred image in public is simultaneously completely awful and highly plausible for both Imperial and Sith types.

Notes on companion dynamics, the jerk way:
Spoiler

@Tatile, the physical nervousness that comes through on both sides is incredible. D'aww, Broan.

@Isoviel, the entire paragraph wherein Innovindil describes Ennaly's father's death and Ennaly reacts to each line was awesome. Right from the gut.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Isoviel
01.15.2013 , 06:32 PM | #2557
Hi! This story is mostly wishful thinking. Its something I've wanted to do since half-way through Nar Shaddaa. This is the first story that has my Pureblood Sith Juggernaut Perrina. No spoilers.
Prompt: NotLP What If
Title: If Only

Spoiler

Muah hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Striges
01.15.2013 , 07:03 PM | #2558
@ Tatile: aww, still more awkward. And no, I imagine Jedi Holocrons are not the kind of thing that anyone in the Empire displays for visitors to look at, Sith or otherwise. Or hands off to someone who can admire them for their beauty alone.

Does a very pretty, very valuable item count as an engagement gift? I think it does, even if it's not a ring.

@ Isoviel: Killing the messenger (or wanting to) is a time-honored tradition.

@ Bright: DS Jaesa is hard to handle. She doesn't want to hear anything but "sure, go ahead, whatever you want". Playing Empire, she has plenty of puppy-kicking evil company. Mellekor's reaction--obey or else--is probably the only one she'd respond to. That said, I like Mellekor's brand of pragmatic evil. Taunting Quinn--very fun. Varrel's version ran a little different--more at 'do I look like HR to you?'

Isoviel
01.16.2013 , 06:19 PM | #2559
Ok, I feel the need to prove that Ennaly is not all doom and gloom because at this point she is more sith than my sith. So this is her having a good day. Hopefully amusing. I hope you all like it.
Prompt: could be Firsts but is more Communications Breakdown
Major spoilers for a companion quest. Like I pretty much just paraphrased the whole conversation but as it would have happened in my world. My world is a very weird place

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
01.17.2013 , 10:50 AM | #2560
Driveby post. This was a real challenge, but I wanted to see whether I could do it: Night of the Living Prompt: Alternate Perspectives, giving a different angle on the Vierce/Kirsk Brothers and Sisters story prompt set on Nar Shaddaa during Vierce's plot line. This time around it's from Kirsk's point of view. 3200 words, spoilers for Elara Dorne's Act 1 conversations.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!