Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does Annihilation need a little buff for PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Does Annihilation need a little buff for PvP?

BurnedRemains
01.13.2013 , 07:50 PM | #1
I sure think so. I mean it went from king spec to "you have to be stupid or want to die a lot" spec.

Galoomp
01.13.2013 , 08:33 PM | #2
Annihilation needs a damage buff in PVE also. Given that carnage can match the sustained dps but also has crazy burst, it's hard to rationalise speccing anni at all.

DPS is science. Tanking is strategy. Healing is whack-a-mole.

Omophorus
01.13.2013 , 11:30 PM | #3
Annihilation still has the best sustained DPS of any Marauder spec. It does not need a buff.

There are two factors contributing to its lack of use currently:
1) PVE design has moved into a paradigm where significant downtime is baked into many boss fights. Downtime punishes Annihilation in comparison to Carnage (high ramp-up if Annihilator stacks fall off). The on-demand nature of Carnage DPS makes it better suited to current design.

2) Current PVP design favors burst over everything else. Likewise, no matter how much it may be the case that Annihilation bleeds force a healer to waste 1/4 of their GCDs on cleansing, it doesn't burst people dead, or make for huge scoreboard numbers.

The self-heal nerf was remarkably stupid, because the only rationale for Anni was survivability. Now it's not sturdy enough to justify the long ramp-up or lack of killer burst, no matter HOW good the sustained DPS actually is.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"

Sinsavz
01.14.2013 , 04:37 AM | #4
Absolutely not. Ridiculous idea. Annih is still better than most classes DPS specs.

JediMasterSLC
01.14.2013 , 09:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinsavz View Post
Absolutely not. Ridiculous idea. Annih is still better than most classes DPS specs.
L2read "PVP" in thread title.

BurnedRemains
01.14.2013 , 11:08 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
^

Dire
01.14.2013 , 12:00 PM | #7
I don't think it needs a damage buff. I primarily play Anni for PvP and what i feel needs more help is the utility. Maybe add a fury building portion to dots ticking. But straight % damage to abilities, no.
Characters: Dire / Direforce Legacy Name: Immortal
2.0 Vengeance PvP! Episode 1: The Civil War: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8eNESEwaU

Monterone
01.14.2013 , 04:43 PM | #8
Annihilation is still better in PvP than most other classes. And I made my mara back when everyone played Anni because it's awesome.

It's just that Carnage and Rage got buffed to be even better than that.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger

Sinsavz
01.15.2013 , 12:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
I'm talking about PvP too smart guy. It's still very good compared to others. Just because it's not doing 90000k smashes on the whole enemy team doesn't mean it's not still good. Get a clue.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monterone View Post
Annihilation is still better in PvP than most other classes. And I made my mara back when everyone played Anni because it's awesome.

It's just that Carnage and Rage got buffed to be even better than that.
^

JediMasterSLC
01.15.2013 , 02:33 PM | #10
When was the last time any of you saw a watchman sent/anni mara in a ranked wz. It doesn't have the burst required for competitive play and the dots can be cleansed by all 3 healer classes (sorcs have to spec into their cleanse, others don't). I'm EWH on my sent and have played all 3 specs extensively, watchman/anni being my favorite and probably what I'm best at. I still often play watchman in regs to have fun and take a break from smashing. I have no incentive to bash watchman/anni, I actually have reverse bias. I'm saying it's unviable because it's unviable. Don't you think class balance should be premised on how well the spec can perform at the competitive level (rwzs)? I just need to l2p watchman and go back to lolsmashing right? http://imgur.com/dJkqa. Try doing even close to that well in a rated, where the enemy team doesn't just let you sit on one of their healers, which is what anni relies on to be effective.

Still better than most other specs? Better than concealment ops, arsenal mercs, and full lightning sorcs. Oh in that case watchman's fine. Srsly tho, sentinel might be my main, but my desire is to see every spec in the game become as balanced as possible for competitive PvP. I'm not saying anni is the worst spec in the game by any means, but not only is it by far the weakest sentinel/mara spec, it's also a subpar spec in general (srsly any of you who do ranked have you seen a watchman/anni in it other than in a pug/unorganized team?).