Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Adding more playable races and bringing back the old SWG space gameplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Adding more playable races and bringing back the old SWG space gameplay

Kilikaa's Avatar


Kilikaa
12.31.2012 , 03:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
It can be possible, it would just take a lot of time to implement such as having the gear fit right on the species.
Since player characters must speak Basic, and Wookiees do not, you will not get them as a playable species. Yes, BW can make Wooks speak Basic, but that would go against Lore and Canon. Lucas Arts would never allow it.

We have to wait and see but I believe the secret space project will be similar to what JTL was for Galaxies. I am hoping it is. We have no space as it is. I refuse to accept the rail-shooter as being "space" content. It is an utter insult.

Vitas's Avatar


Vitas
12.31.2012 , 03:33 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Since player characters must speak Basic, and Wookiees do not, you will not get them as a playable species. Yes, BW can make Wooks speak Basic, but that would go against Lore and Canon. Lucas Arts would never allow it.

We have to wait and see but I believe the secret space project will be similar to what JTL was for Galaxies. I am hoping it is. We have no space as it is. I refuse to accept the rail-shooter as being "space" content. It is an utter insult.
No, I didn't say they would speak basic. They can still speak Shyriiwook which would substitute the basic dialogue and also have subtitles in place.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

CRSG's Avatar


CRSG
12.31.2012 , 03:36 PM | #13
Anyway guys keep posting your opinions if you like the idea or not.

GothicElfBoi's Avatar


GothicElfBoi
12.31.2012 , 03:39 PM | #14
I think many people would love to see more playable races added. I've heard this time and time again from friends and in General chat channels in game. Cathar have been mentioned, as have Torgutas (spelling) and Naudalans (spelling?) I've also heard Echani mentioned (though there are people making very light skinned humans and RPing them as Echani.

The SWG name drop really sucked, sorry, had to be said. SWG is a totally different game published by a completely different company. Bioware could not legally take game play features from that game and add them to this game, it'd be a copywright infringement. Though I have to admit, I personally do not like the way the space missions are currently operated.

EcrirTwyLar's Avatar


EcrirTwyLar
12.31.2012 , 03:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
They've already stated that the Species of the Player Character must speak Basic. Having Subtitles isn't the same as being able to speak Basic.
They've stated many things that have already changed. This game is obviously not doing well. People need to be a little more open minded. If everyone just keep regurgitating what they've heard Bioware say in the past it's not going to help. There is no reason why a non-basic speaking player character couldn't happen. The subtitles are already there and everything.

SWG was a broken game. I played in beta all the way until the NGE. People keep saying that this isn't SWG. Well the funny thing is that this game has a lot of things in common with SWG.

1. Both games started with a bang and then fizzled out. SWTOR probably started with a bigger bang, but it's still fizzling like SWG did.

2. SWG had bugs that existed from beta all the way to the NGE that weren't fixed. SWTOR has bugs that have been around since beta and guess what? It's been a year. If I remember correctly, the NGE came out just about 1.5 years after the release of SWG.

The difference is that SWG had a decent space game and SWG had a much more interesting selection of playable species. Bioware seems to be too stubborn to admit that there were things they should have done differently. SWTOR has 100% voice over. Which I do like but realistically I think about 90% of the playerbase space bars through it. So I'm thinking that it wasn't exactly a good investment. IMO Bioware would have been smarter to invest that money in other content like more playable species.

Either way this game seems like a trip down memory lane. It's like SWG all over again because we have a company shoving out as much new content as they can, but not fixing what they already have (I actually think there may be more bugs now than there was at the end of open beta). I'm waiting to hear that they've been secretly working on a "new game experience" that will be stealth launched after everyone buys up this first expansion.

In short... I agree with the OP. I would like to see a better space game as well as more playable species. But FIRST Bioware needs to get the current bugs under control.

lobotaru's Avatar


lobotaru
12.31.2012 , 04:22 PM | #16
I like the idea. I heard that SWG was a great game. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to play it when it was out.

Ecrir, I completely agree, and its one of the reasons I've regained respect for Squarenix, since they acknowledged the problems of their game and took it back to the drawing board. Bioware has acknowledged that there are problems with SWTOR, but either isn't interested or isn't capable of performing the necessary changes to the game. They could also just not be telling us, since they did just get done with an xpac for the game. What they need to do is build a new game on top of this one and fix the bugs that currently exist. Speaking of which, they seriously need to do some different helmet models for the twi'leks and fix the saber staff clipping issue (yes, I know I made a suggestion on this board for it, but still...)

Dzan's Avatar


Dzan
01.14.2013 , 11:59 AM | #17
I'm with my both hands for expanding those aspects of the game, especially for new spieces (preferably non-human likes).

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.14.2013 , 02:21 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
No, I didn't say they would speak basic. They can still speak Shyriiwook which would substitute the basic dialogue and also have subtitles in place.
Except it was the Voice Director that stated that all Player Characters will speak Basic, therefore any Playable Species must be able to Speak Basic:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...r-wars-the-old

WB = Will Beckman, Voice Director
DH = Darth Hater

DH: We have been told that players have the option of making their characters a non-human species. Will all players be voiced in galactic basic, be it English, French, or German, or will some be able to speak in an alien language, similar to Jory in the Bounty Hunter demo?

WB: The players will have the option of creating non-human player characters. However all of the player characters will speak basic as much of the entertainment in the conversations comes from the player character responses.

Grendelwolf's Avatar


Grendelwolf
01.15.2013 , 04:00 AM | #19
As flawed as SWG was, it was a great MMO up until NGE hit. And as flawed as JTL was, it was still better than this rail system Bioware has us flying down over and over again. I would love to see more types of ships ( POB ships as well) with open space combat off the rails with some group missions/PvP.

With a SWG type space combat Bioware can introduce a new profession like Shtpwright, where players can craft different types of ships and weapons, armor, boosters, engines etc to go along with it.

As for other races, I would hope they implement the Kel Dor race, always wanted to play as one. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kel_Dor

or a Bothan http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan
α╬G╬W██Φ██φ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

EcrirTwyLar's Avatar


EcrirTwyLar
01.16.2013 , 12:10 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
Except it was the Voice Director that stated that all Player Characters will speak Basic, therefore any Playable Species must be able to Speak Basic:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...r-wars-the-old

WB = Will Beckman, Voice Director
DH = Darth Hater

DH: We have been told that players have the option of making their characters a non-human species. Will all players be voiced in galactic basic, be it English, French, or German, or will some be able to speak in an alien language, similar to Jory in the Bounty Hunter demo?

WB: The players will have the option of creating non-human player characters. However all of the player characters will speak basic as much of the entertainment in the conversations comes from the player character responses.
That's an old quote. They also said they had no intentions of going F2P. Things change.