Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

GraceandDanger
12.31.2012 , 12:10 AM | #21
I'm currently at Hoth with my smuggler and I've thought the story has been ok to pretty entertaining so far. However in my humble opinion, I think the smuggler's storyline is one of those deals in which the PC really makes the story shine more than the actual story itself. Whether thats by design or not, I'm not sure but that's how I see it.

I've just fell in love with my smuggler's character and it's really the reason why I've played mine so much lately (that and gunslinger's are fun).
It's victory or nothing!

kifa
01.12.2013 , 03:56 AM | #22
Having played through the smuggler story, I have to agree. It leaves a lot to be desired, and it didn't make me feel like a smuggler at all.

With the exception of Akaavi Spar, I didn't care much for the companions either. Enough has been said about how annoying Corso is, so I won't go there, but Blowdaar was probably the one that made me scratch my head the most. He has almost no personality and is a very bland character. Why is he in the story? Oh, right, we need a sasquatch, 'cause Han Solo.

Spoiler

The only thing I really liked about the smuggler story was Akaavi. The whole storyline and romance was very engaging and she left a very deep impression on me. I also enjoyed the all-too brief encounter with Vaverone Zare on Tatooine.

I'm also grateful for the choice of voice-actor. The guy did a phenomenal job and really immersed me into my character. I also thought the delivery was hilarious and most of the lines were well-written.
"And so across the vastness of space, two masters of power touch minds. One, the very essence of Jedi, the other dark beyond darkness."

happysister
01.13.2013 , 01:20 PM | #23
the smuggler storyline remains my favorite so far. my very first toon was a smuggler, and i still love her to death even after having played through most of the other class stories. i liked it so much, i made a second smuggler to play through the story again. so now i have a lvl 50 gunslinger, a lvl 50 scoundrel, and i'm making a third smuggler when Cathar finally comes out.

i think a big part of why i like the smuggler story is due to the dialogue choices (i swear, smugglers have the best lines) and the female smuggler's voice acting. i freaking love her voice. the male's voice is ok and he does come off as a ladies man, but he sounds like a deadbeat compared to the female. she's way more excitable and snarky.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic/Empire

Stenrik
01.13.2013 , 06:28 PM | #24
The whole "smuggler story" archetype is all about being down on your luck! Hence the "going here, getting turned down, repeat" part. Wasn't Han pretty down on his luck at the beginning of the OT?

I haven't played agent through yet, but regardless, I rank the smuggler story highly. Maybe I just care about good 1-liners more than I do the overall arcs, but I enjoyed myself. Especially acts 1 and 3.

urborror
01.14.2013 , 09:02 AM | #25
I'm almost to the end of chapter 1, I'm just kinda rolling with my smuggler. I actually find some of the writing to be a bit incoherent. Often I'd just forget what I was even supposed to be doing, who was related to who why, etc., as I went through the class missions. That's kind of basic failure of writing, and as I experienced this multiple times, there's obviously some shortcomings.

Although just liking your character is a big aspect of "story" in this. Like the Jedi story was "good" insofar as it has twists and turns, but I couldn't stand watching my Jedis in dialogue exchanges, since they're humorless bores, and the way the story is structured in this doesn't help. I'm not saying the smuggler is *that* appealing, but it is a big factor.

The story probably felt weirdest when the Republic entrusted me to oust the king of Alderaan. Just makes least-sense as a smuggler. And then my smuggler is still chipper and "snarky" as she's gunning down Sith Lords like nothing.

NinjaBawls
02.11.2013 , 10:46 AM | #26
If you try and be a good Smuggler, you're gonna have a bad time.

Compared to my 50 BH and JK, it was the only story I wanted to keep playing. Probably the only reason I'll go for the expansion.

I wanted my fleet!
It's... WOOKIEE!

Keyran-Halcyon
02.11.2013 , 12:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cybridwarform View Post
I just finished chapter one and i must say i am rather bored ******** with this story. They all follow the same bland trend.

go here,
get disappointed.
follow up here.
get turned down.
follow up here.
directed somewhere else.

Will this sotry change in the later chapters? If this continues i think ill just continue with my agent instead. From what ive heard the agent storyline is actually witty and etertaining. So far i rolled agent last night and i am in love with the story. I didn't even notice i was level 10 by the time i had to pass out for work and i want to rush back home to find out more. -I love my smuggler but sadly not so much his story.

I have yet to actually "smuggle" anything... -.-; Seems i spend 1-17 getting my ship, 7-30 gearing it out for some crazy mission, and 30-33 i get disapointed at how easy it was to kill the vault boss but returning to kill the tool who stole my ship originally gave me great satisfaction. I also cheered as it ended the most boring quest line ive done in my gaming history. I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.
So far I have felt the Smuggler and Agent story lines to be the only entertaining ones. Sadly I think the imperial stories are more interesting and the classes more appealing and that is why there are so many more Imps on my server. I have a level 50 Scoundrel and a 50 Sniper and I really enjoyed both story lines.

As for your breakdown of the story, I think most fit that description. I have been leveling a guardian and a Sage and after getting around lvl 15 I started space barring though story. So boring. I am running out of motivation to play either of them. I am currently on Alderaan with both toons and have already thought about trying the Trooper story instead.
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>
Captain Hűng S˘lo & Master Teh-Hauss

Master-Nala
02.11.2013 , 01:18 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
I think the Agent story starts out strong but it gets progressively worse because it's like they used up all the awesome characters by chapter 1, after that you're just fighting gimpier versions of guys you've already defeated (in terms of story).
Agreed. The Smuggler story is awesome. The final boss is a bit of a letdown, but everything else was a great pirate adventure.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

Luckeyduckey
02.11.2013 , 02:00 PM | #29
I ran LS until Act 3, when I decided it was time to be greedy. The best part of smuggler? What you make of it. It really feels like you can go beyond what happens in the story, gets you in the moment. I've played every class, and none feel like how the smuggler does. It's unique. I agree, parts of the story were a let down, but it had it's twists and overall, well done.
Extermination
Extincti°n
Terr°rist

ButteredSoul
02.12.2013 , 07:31 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
i think a big part of why i like the smuggler story is due to the dialogue choices (i swear, smugglers have the best lines).
Agreed. The Han Solo tribute class brings the humor and defiance as one would expect. Even if you're playing lightside, I'd recommend trying the bad girl/boy with, when it comes down to it, a good heart. Or do like me and just go darkside!!! You're not a trooper following regulations or a goodie-goodie Jedi. Even Akaavi laughs at some of the smuggler jokes. And I particularly like the lines that become the smuggler calling cards:
"It's hard to be humble knowing how great I am."
"You're about to see a real, live hero in action."

Moreover, he seems to hook up all of the time.

I've sure enjoyed the ride so far... on Belsavis, level 45 atm.