Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 01:33 AM | #671
Hi VassagoOmega,

Had a quick look at your dxdiag, ignoring it looks like a non-microsoft copy of windows.

Crashes entering hyperspace in flashpoints maybe different to crashes anywhere else.
(One user has reported turning off Ambient Occlusions solved crashing in hyperspace for him)

Some suggestions, I can find links if needed to others fixing their crash issues if you need.

Some games will crash if 60hz is not exactly reported, swtor maybe one of them.
your monitor is reporting Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
trying going into nvidia control panel and adjust it back to 60.000 hz

Some have reported needing to set the xmp profile for their memory and crashes have gone
(has to do with the voltage being set a fraction low (or varies under heavy load) me thinks)

Have you tried a clean boot ? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 to eliminate another program ?

VassagoOmega
01.13.2013 , 03:34 AM | #672
Thanks Owen, for your help.

I've played with, and adjusted a lot of what you've pointed out already. I know I'm using an oddball 4:3 resolution monitor, and I've played with the refresh on 75, and 60hz, with no effect.
Windows is not pirated, it's just not Microsoft. It's a legit build.

I found another thread that was suggesting the same thing as what you pointed out, with the memory voltage. So, for fun I decided to go into BIOS and switch it off of Auto to see if it would make a difference. Oddly enough, 1.8V is the minimum it can run, and that's what my memory recommends. So I picked that instead of Auto.

Well, wouldn't you know it? As soon as the game loaded back up, my fps has increased quite significantly, especially on taxis. I just finished playing for close to 2 hours without any crashes either. I'm gonna test it out some more tomorrow, and see how it does. I'll be impressed if that's all that's wrong.

I also know that this isn't a fix, it's a workaround. There's no reason that I should have to manipulate my RAM voltage to get the game to work properly. Regardless of whether or not my RAM is running on lower voltage, the game is sucking up too much RAM to begin with.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
TURRIS FORTIS MIHI DEUS
Awakened to Redemption A Christian Gaming Guild

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 03:51 AM | #673
Definately interested in how you get on, yes I should of said non-microsoft windows rather then the P word
Thanks for letting me know, I do find these things interesting weird huh

Edit - Interesting you also say you got increased FPS just from setting the ram voltage.

It's more an issue of the motherboard and it's voltage handling on auto with the ram not game related.

Cheers

Velynne
01.13.2013 , 10:33 AM | #674
1. The Shadowlands
2. All characters on account.
3. At least once per day. Mostly flashpoints but also while entering instanced areas or spacebarring through quest converstains. .
4. Aside from certain flashpoint known areas, there appears to be little correlation to any other thing that causes it.
DXDiag report
Spoiler

Velynne
01.13.2013 , 10:35 AM | #675
DXDiag Continued:

Spoiler

Latest instance of SWTOR reliability report:

Spoiler

Desplain
01.13.2013 , 06:31 PM | #676
Maybe found something to play longer than 2 to 3 hours.

So my machine is runnig with WIN XP SP3 32 and I've adjusted the virtual memory.

That might work for some of us.

So for example if you have 2 GB RAM you adjust the minimum and the maximum virtual memory to 4096 MB.

So my Windows can detect 3,25 GB of 4 GB RAM and I adjusted the virtual memory to 6500 MB (minimum and maximum).

I've played Tatooine for seven hours and then I had my first CTD.
May the Force be with you.

Xarlelso
01.13.2013 , 08:04 PM | #677
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
First suggestion is to turn off mumble and see if the crashes continue.
Turned off ALL programs and still crashes.
Like stated above this is a new issue for me teh past week or 2 weeks. I have been here since early access over a year ago and never had this many issues.
Xarlelso
Rouge LVL 50 Commando Medic
Zal'Kem
LVL 50 Sniper

-Bob-
01.13.2013 , 08:49 PM | #678
It sucks but i think i'm going to have to drop the game completely. It's too frustrating to come home from work only to deal with crashes and bugs on a game i pay for and to never have them fixed. I deal with frustrating situations at work, i dont want to deal with it on a video game where i'm trying to escape and relax.
Games like WoW or GW2 may not be as fun as SWTOR but at least they are stable and random crashes dont hinder my interest. I wont even go F2P with this game because it is not worth it. I just dont understand why Bioware cant get it together. Maybe 0 subs would kick their azzez?

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 09:49 PM | #679
Quote: Originally Posted by -Bob- View Post
It sucks but i think i'm going to have to drop the game completely. It's too frustrating to come home from work only to deal with crashes and bugs on a game i pay for and to never have them fixed. I deal with frustrating situations at work, i dont want to deal with it on a video game where i'm trying to escape and relax.
Games like WoW or GW2 may not be as fun as SWTOR but at least they are stable and random crashes dont hinder my interest. I wont even go F2P with this game because it is not worth it. I just dont understand why Bioware cant get it together. Maybe 0 subs would kick their azzez?
Hate to say it before you goto Wow or GW2 have a look in their forums , they have similar issues by different people ie. game crashes, disconnects etc etc
but if one game works for you and not another for whatever the reason is , then sometimes there is no other answer.

VassagoOmega
01.13.2013 , 10:20 PM | #680
Well, sadly enough, the RAM voltage hasn't made a significant difference in my crashing. It's still happening, and once it starts, it just gets more and more frequent. When I crash the first time, it'll crash consistently EVERY 15 Minutes!

Well, I'm back to square one with this again. Got my hopes up briefly. Shame on me.

I hope that this gets fixed soon. If not, then I too will be dropping the game. I have no intention of going to play other MMOs. If this game doesn't want to work, I'll be going back to console gaming. At least my PS3 doesn't have any issues.
TURRIS FORTIS MIHI DEUS
Awakened to Redemption A Christian Gaming Guild