Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced to Go Sorcerer Hybrid

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Forced to Go Sorcerer Hybrid

DarkSaberMaster
01.11.2013 , 12:31 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post

You are oblivious to the meaning of what I stated. The developers of this game designed the armor, mods, and enhancements for a specific reason and purposed them to fit their designs for play. You and the rest do not accept this "because you know better than they," by removing these items and replacing them with something to gain an advantage that was never intended to happen. That's called exploiting. If you and the rest think they know so much more about game developing than those involved, submit your resume and seek a job to take over PvP so you can show them how it is supposed to be...according to your vast experience in developing and game design. I know game design and developing. I spent 12 years doing it. There is an inherit balance put there for a reason. By min/max the designs outside of what is there throws an imbalance and makes a dramatic shift in the competitive curve that should not be there. You would know this if you had experience in developing game mechanics. However, you do not care about the effects on the results and what you can gain from it by cheating the system in giving your toon an advantage that was not meant to have.

BTW, I am using fully augmented (Advanced Willpower) WH Forcer Master Gear and EWH belt/bracers, I have 865 damage bonus for force power and 512 healing bonus as a DPS Sorcerer. An additional 35 points does not amount to much of anything. My Crit with buff is 35% and my Surge is 73%. I hit with critical hits 90%+ of the time when I hit someone and a 100% when my procs are up or I activate Reckless. I do not need to exploit anything to get it there. My character is where it's supposed to be based on the designed gear by the developers. I use that to my advantage. Min/Maxing gear is for those who cannot use the existing tools they are given because they cannot stand being "just like everyone else." Ask yourself this, what is the effect of min/maxing gear on the overall picture in PvP? What does it do to the competitive curve and balance between classes that are not min/max? Finally, what would say if BM said, all armor/mods/enhancements no longer offer bonuses because they are mix-matched for min/max gear? You’d scream bloody murder now, wouldn’t you?
Sniper here lurking your thread with my popcorn. Seriously. I'm literally eating kettle corn while laughing at the ridiculousnous of this thread. Especially the post I quoted.

This is the EXACT reason why the devs should NEVER base class changes off of the forums. People like you are the reason why classes and games get ruined. If you hnest to God believe what I just quoted, it is time to uninstall the game and go to Pong.

But please. Keep posting. You are providing me much entertainment while I am here bored at work lol.

EDIT: But one serious question though. If the devs never intended for min/maxing to occur, why did they make mods removable in the first place? I'll wait for your answer.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
The Harbinger Thanks for killing Engineer Snipers, Devs
The Jawa's Order
Referral link for free stuff

AdmiralParmesan
01.11.2013 , 02:03 AM | #62
WOW

the direction of the thread has gone from bad to lol-worthy
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

orryko
01.11.2013 , 03:20 AM | #63
i know right?

and you wonder why good players respond so negatively to people like the OP

warstory
01.11.2013 , 10:45 AM | #64
I have only seen 5 lightning sorc or tk sages in the last 5 months and non of them stood out as dominate. I myself feel I support the group where and when I can and avoid 1 vs 1. I have put up 400k dmg in a wz but let's be real I know they were under geared and not using their skill sets right to easily shut down my dmg plus i had a good healer. I started to min max my gear and starting to see a bit of a return (+900 bonus dmg) as in I almost feel viable lol. Once I fully min max I will make another judgment on the spec but as of right now it needs a buff.

Anosa
01.13.2013 , 04:19 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Try madness. It is more mobile and relies less on casted abilities, which is why lightning sucks so hard in PvP.
madness isnt good still. it allows for overall damage but the problem is PVP is based on burst damage which we have none of
Meow

SoonerJBD
01.13.2013 , 04:48 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Anosa View Post
madness isnt good still. it allows for overall damage but the problem is PVP is based on burst damage which we have none of
I roll Madness in PvP and do quite well with it. You aren't going to get 6k crits. If that is what you want, you need to roll a Marauder and go with the derp-smash spec. But we can put out quite a lot of damage with Madness. Dot everyone, Death Field on cooldown, kite melee classes and use your roots and stuns and KB to get yourself out of trouble.

V-Serp
01.13.2013 , 04:51 PM | #67
There are no good players in this game, the skill cap is so damn low that if you have ever been competitive in any serious game (Street Fighter, Starcraft, Halo, etc.) you will reach the skill cap within a week or so of playing. The difference is always going to be gear and team makeup. The vast majority of people that say they are "good" players generally travel in groups with full optimized gear and voice chat with most of their success coming against PUGs. There is no ladder or tournament system in place, and likely there never will be.

There is generally a lot of attrition in MMOs because people begin to realize how shallow the gameplay is, and move on. I can't believe STS is still around, I'd expect they'd move on like everyone else always does. That is why the names of groups are always changing and most people have no idea who these other people are, they rarely play each other and new groups pop up every few months while old groups die.

If you have done any analysis of competitive gameplay you can already tell on paper what is going to be stronger especially in MMO PVP. Sorc/Sage is one of the weaker classes and it's been a pretty long time now.

What I find funny is when you see Sorc/Sage complaint threads someone always comes in and insists they own with it. Meanwhile in the Mara/Sent threads people come in insisting those classes are so easy to shut down and they say how they always lose. Biofail probably sees that and thinks "oh, these Sorc/Sage are clearly overpowered since they dominate so much, clearly we must buff SK/JW to compete!" and then that's all they ever do.

It's kind of lame but you really can't use Sorc/Sage for DPS or Merc/Commando either. Unless you're getting carried by a strong group that is, in which case you can stand back and free cast and such. Still it's nowhere near ideal, as even the guy in this thread who was trying to brag admits he'd do more damage as PT. Why intentionally gimp yourself?

AdmiralParmesan
01.13.2013 , 06:51 PM | #68
Some of us enjoy playing the class and enjoy a challenge. I personally couldn't stand to play a powertech and I never will be able to.

The majority will always gravitate to what the easiest and best results are for the least amount of time committed; whether that is Powertech, Smash jugg or any future FOTM OP spec. It is true in this game, it is true in fighting games, and it is true in shooters. I have played enough games with competitive interest to see this happen time and time again. Any option that takes more effort to be successful with, even if equally or more viable to easier options will always be less popular.

I prefer feeling like I actually earned my kills because I played the match-up right, not because my class can have good results regardless or the amount of thought I put into my actions.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

orryko
01.13.2013 , 08:07 PM | #69
I'm not gimping myself. I've lost 10 times in ranked, and none were due to dps issues. We always had more dps than every team we faced. One loss came in a civil war where a new person we were trying out got ninja capped on. Another loss came in a novare where we were too obsessed with dps and lost the clicking battle. The rest came in huttball since it took us awhile to find a great strat against the other good teams since we didn't run with a jugg. Admittedly, if I had been a smash jugg then we wouldn't have had as many huttball problems...but being some other FOTM wouldn't have prevented my other losses. Even though, most smash juggs/maras don't know how to play huttball like their class was designed for.

And of course good players run with other good players, what kind of point are you trying to make? An 800k pt couldn't carry a team of *******. 3 amazing pts couldn't carry 5 average players either. I like my sorc, and I perform well above average even if I could perform more easily as some fotm. Besides, fotm change so much and only baddies who rely on those crutches reroll that often.

I love players who try to compare mmo skill to starcraft or some fps. LOL I POINT AND CLICK AND CAN SHEWT YOU LOLZ. MMO skill comes from understanding all the classes and being able to think a few moves ahead in any situation, not to mention having high awareness of multiple things going on around you. Is it impossibly hard? No, but there are only a handful of great players per class per server...so obviously it's too hard for most. I will just assume you're an average to above average player.

To add to what depreva said...playing a non-fotm is more challenging and more rewarding when you can succeed where the majority can't. Buffs and nerfs happen all the time so it's better to play a class or spec you truly enjoy and learn to maximize it whenever stuff changes. It all just comes down to e-cred but that's the only thing you can get out of an mmo anyway.

LogicalPremise
01.18.2013 , 08:22 PM | #70
I think a major problem here ( and god knows I am no elite) is that the casual player get smashed to pieces instantly if they try to run the specialized full specs some of the experts say have given them good results.

If you don't have a good guild , if you don't run pre-mades, you'll never have to worry about RWZ to begin with. The problem can be as bad in unrated , especially with packs of smashtards backed up by a pair of good healers and a pair of snipers/gunslingers to burn down anyone who doesn't get smashed to paste.

If I understand correctly, there really seems to be three camps. One says "you can't be competitive unless you roll hybrid and and that means the class sucks and needs a fix". One says, "you can be very competitive in full spec if you're geared and you know what you're doing", and the final group seems to be saying "all sorcs are weaksauce and need heavy buffs".

I think the third group's arguments are invalid...but I also think the experienced players saying "l2p and full spec is fine" are underestimating (or don't care) about the effect it has on casuals.

Would modest improvements to survivability really make the class OP?
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger