Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Reporting the F-bomb


Hyde_v's Avatar


Hyde_v
01.12.2013 , 04:35 AM | #1
Is clicking on the "Report Harassment" in the windows selection for people who type out the F bomb accomplish the same thing as opening a GM ticket on them with time, place, date, etc?
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

warriorcat's Avatar


warriorcat
01.12.2013 , 05:34 AM | #2
you have a proficiency filter for a reason as long as bad language is not spammed what is the problem? unless there aiming at you ofc then i understand the need to report it, called banter in most games and real life but harassment if they keep on doing it when they are doing to provoke you am i right?

but yes they have chat logs so it all works the same, you can just go into more detail of why you are offended etc in a ticket but you will not get a response because it works like a bug report and goes to a different department other than CS
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

Stoofa's Avatar


Stoofa
01.12.2013 , 05:46 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by warriorcat View Post
you have a proficiency filter for a reason as long as bad language is not spammed what is the problem? unless there aiming at you ofc then i understand the need to report it, called banter in most games and real life but harassment if they keep on doing it when they are doing to provoke you am i right?

but yes they have chat logs so it all works the same, you can just go into more detail of why you are offended etc in a ticket but you will not get a response because it works like a bug report and goes to a different department other than CS
The T&C's do not allow for "banter" or non-spammed foul language in the general chats - including WZ's etc.
There really is no need for it in the general channels. I'm sorry but I doesn't matter how "big" or "grown up" people are, such language has no place in an open chat environment as it will offend.
The defence of "well its only offending one person" is really not valid. It's the same in the real world, you don't expect that kind of language in a public place around lots of different people and there are "laws" that would counter it.

Hyde_v's Avatar


Hyde_v
01.12.2013 , 12:55 PM | #4
Awaiting an official response.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

Hyde_v's Avatar


Hyde_v
01.12.2013 , 01:37 PM | #5
I really do not care about other players who say "There's a filter, grow up, get a thick skin, etc." on this topic.

The rules says "Do not cuss" in the game. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has to click on "I Agree" in order to play the game. A new patch or update comes out, everyone has to click on "I Agree" in order to play the game after the download. Having a filter in the game does not, according to the rules, give anyone free reign to type out profanity. If players cannot abide by that, they should not click "I Agree."

Frankly, comments like the previous poster's saying to "lighten up" are simply derailing the thread. There are options (and rules) about that sort of thing too.

I want to see a Bioware rep confirm that using the window option is the same as opening a ticket. Otherwise, people using this feature are wasting their time. I am not interested in a discussion on the morality of people using profanity and whether it offends or not.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

warriorcat's Avatar


warriorcat
01.12.2013 , 02:51 PM | #6
everyone on my server has swore ... you have lied if you say otherwise, you don't see me going on server forums and reporting everybody there, if you look you find.

would you report someone for calling an afk on your team an id*** ? because that breaks T&C as well but you can understand it due to this person causing your team to fail at a game you could have won. i am sorry but the are exceptions to the conditions in the T&C this game is rated mature so you should expect it to happen when players excited i admit dont mean it is right but you ignore it

in ops chat you may hear this after a close warzone i cant believe we lost this warzone those guys played ******* great. (if goes on to offend the afk with constant abuse after the player has said sorry he had an emergency irl then you can think about reporting because he is in the wrong)

i admit i dislike it in public chat but after 6 years of mmo's i am use to it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hyde_v View Post
Frankly, comments like the previous poster's saying to "lighten up" are simply derailing the thread. There are options (and rules) about that sort of thing too.
correction we are not derailing the thread hyde, the rule is do not go of topic and we are not going of topic because we are discussing the set of rules with the language used, well i know that is what i am attempting to do.

Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
The defence of "well its only offending one person" is really not valid. It's the same in the real world, you don't expect that kind of language in a public place around lots of different people and there are "laws" that would counter it.
response to "well its only offending one person" i did not mean this but some times you don't know the reasons behind why 2 people talking like that in general chat is, you should just say could you take that chat to whisper please

you don't expect that kind of language in a public place around lots of different people. (response to) you don't live in essex in england do you... every other word is the f word when around the younger audiance, even in real music like this you get swearing so tell me again it don't happen in public

Quote:
I want to see a Bioware rep confirm that using the window option is the same as opening a ticket. Otherwise, people using this feature are wasting their time.
if this is the case
Quote:
but yes they have chat logs so it all works the same
i answered you then ... you should not need an official response report harassment works the same as report spam which you do through mail (they are both official ways to report users, Tickets do not waste the time of the receiver as they are sent to the correct department if you make your ticket correctly ) if not then all that would happen is you have set it as a request for help and they will forward it to the correct area
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

Hyde_v's Avatar


Hyde_v
01.12.2013 , 05:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by warriorcat View Post
everyone on my server has swore ... you have lied if you say otherwise, you don't see me going on server forums and reporting everybody there, if you look you find.

would you report someone for calling an afk on your team an id*** ? because that breaks T&C as well but you can understand it due to this person causing your team to fail at a game you could have won. i am sorry but the are exceptions to the conditions in the T&C this game is rated mature so you should expect it to happen when players excited i admit dont mean it is right but you ignore it

in ops chat you may hear this after a close warzone i cant believe we lost this warzone those guys played ******* great. (if goes on to offend the afk with constant abuse after the player has said sorry he had an emergency irl then you can think about reporting because he is in the wrong)

i admit i dislike it in public chat but after 6 years of mmo's i am use to it.
Irrelevant. The manner in which you use the profanity is not part of it. The rules say that it is a violation to type out the profanity in in-game chat channels. The rules do not say "But if you use it to mean this, it is ok." The rules say do not type these words in chat for any reason. If I personally type out a bad word and another player reports me, I will be punished. It is the same for every other player in the game. If this is something that players cannot abide by, they should not play the game. Or they will be possibly removed from it.

Quote:
if this is the case i answered you then ... you should not need an official response report harassment works the same as report spam which you do through mail (they are both official ways to report users, Tickets do not waste the time of the receiver as they are sent to the correct department if you make your ticket correctly ) if not then all that would happen is you have set it as a request for help and they will forward it to the correct area
You will have to forgive me if I say that I will not take your word for it. You do not work for Bioware and do not represent Bioware or their products in any way shape or form. I want official confirmation that the feature works the way I THINK it does. If it does not, I will no longer use it.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

Rezanian's Avatar


Rezanian
01.12.2013 , 05:37 PM | #8
The fact that customer service has not responded to this topic is proof that they do not care if people swear in game. The chat filter wasn't put in game for laughs, it was for people that did not want to see profanity (obviously). This topic is wasting forum space.

HoboWithAStick's Avatar


HoboWithAStick
01.12.2013 , 05:41 PM | #9
I've got a suspension on my account for swearing in a warzone.

I argued that people that shut off the filter choose to see swearing in game but that didn't seem to matter to them. I understand creating a healthy gaming environment but getting after people for cussing is completely crazy. First off you CHOOSE to turn it on so you can see it, 2nd the game is rated t for teen so being that it is a mature gaming crowd cussing should be expected, third people can choose to turn off chat all together.

The worst part about getting banned for swearing is that when I sent a email to their support to dispuit it they never got back to me, later a CS REP contacted me about a ticket I put in about something non related and once I was done talking to them they asked if I needed help with anything else, I told her what had happened and I'd like a reply back about the suspension and she replied telling me they never recieved a email from me. I have resent the email 2 times now with no contact back. I feel like this is a form of abuse from bioware.

Hyde_v's Avatar


Hyde_v
01.12.2013 , 06:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rezanian View Post
The fact that customer service has not responded to this topic is proof that they do not care if people swear in game. The chat filter wasn't put in game for laughs, it was for people that did not want to see profanity (obviously). This topic is wasting forum space.
Maybe the mods don't work on weekends? I will get a response even if I must use another form of communication to get it. The forums are simply the first one I chose to use.

And you can stop posting in this "waste of forum space" if you want. You add nothing to the thread with your negativity.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP