/stuck in pvp do you consider it cheating?

Kegparty

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes in that case it helps. I first thought of voidstar for some reason. But I still stand by that its the game's fault and not the players' fault.

This is really a "spirit of the game" vs "creative use of game mechanics" situation. It can't be disabled, because there's always the chance someone could be legitimately stuck, but there's always the potential for its "misuse". My guild usually refrains from using /stuck in RWZs, but I would say that if your opponent is not above using it, you should use it to your advantage as well.

<snip> But I still stand by that its the game's fault and not the players' fault.

Exploiting a bug is considered cheating according to the TOS/EULA.

But you say everyone can do it, because the game was poorly coded.

Hence, it's a feature, rather than a bug, and therefore it's not cheating.

Ok, I can see your point, but lets take this one step further:

It is clearly the game's fault that we experience lag.

It is clearly the game's fault that client and server glitch when they go in-and-out of sync due to lag.

Everyone can take advantage of these glitches, hence it is not an exploit, but a feature.

Therefore, the use of lag switches should not be considered cheating.

By your logic, everything can be viewed as the "game's fault".

Therefore, cheating doesn't exist in SWTOR.

Come to think of it, that's exactly EAware's policy too....oh nevermind, maybe you are right afterall! :eek:

Ye its cheating.

unintended consequence of game mechanic =/= cheat

a simple solution would be for the system to check if you are in fact "stuck" before allowing the /stuck to be executed. that way if youre just trying to use it for a quick respawn, youll get a system message that says "you are not stuck at this time". but if you actually *do* get stuck, it would work like it normally does.

Exploiting a bug is considered cheating according to the TOS/EULA.

But you say everyone can do it, because the game was poorly coded.

Hence, it's a feature, rather than a bug, and therefore it's not cheating.

Ok, I can see your point, but lets take this one step further:

It is clearly the game's fault that we experience lag.

It is clearly the game's fault that client and server glitch when they go in-and-out of sync due to lag.

Everyone can take advantage of these glitches, hence it is not an exploit, but a feature.

Therefore, the use of lag switches should not be considered cheating.

By your logic, everything can be viewed as the "game's fault".

Therefore, cheating doesn't exist in SWTOR.

Come to think of it, that's exactly EAware's policy too....oh nevermind, maybe you are right afterall! :eek:

So you are saying that clicking a button that's a part of the game's interface is cheating the same way that using a 3rd party lag switch is cheating?

Take a few minutes and just think about what you are even saying.

So you are saying that clicking a button that's a part of the game's interface is cheating the same way that using a 3rd party lag switch is cheating?

Take a few minutes and just think about what you are even saying.

Lol, I'm not saying it - you are!

Btw, you don't even need a 3rd party program to do lag switching:

It's just client-internet-server - everything you already have right now to play the game, just like /stuck

3rd party networking tools just make it more convenient.

Edited by Totaltrash

Lol, I'm not saying it - you are!

Btw, you don't even need a 3rd party program to do lag switching:

It's just client-internet-server - everything you already have right now to play the game, just like /stuck

3rd party networking tools just make it more convenient.

LOL ok im confused

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that /stuck should either be available to everyone, or available to no one. Its not right that just a small number of people use it but everyone else is labeled an exploiter if they try to even the field.

It would be like if pro sports didn't take a stand against steroids. If steroids weren't illegal, players would be REQUIRED to juice up to compete. It wouldn't be the player's fault that they have to adapt to the system. It would be the league's fault for not keeping things level in the first place.

The same is true here. In theory, not using /stuck is a disadvantage. And currently it has not been declared an exploit by BW (the league). As it stands, this is not currently a BW Enforced Exploit. As of now, its simply a cheap tactic. The community is asking people to voluntarily not use a game feature (on the honor system) and that's the wrong way to handle it.

The way to fix resolve is not to ask all the players to stop stunning people, and if you continue to use stun, you're an exploiter. It just can't work that way.

Its definitely an unintended side affect of a system to help you get unstuck, so by definition its an exploit but whether its considered cheating is completely up to BW to decide. Whatever it is considered though it needs fixing because it completely ruins huttball, one of the best WZs for premade vs premade in the game currently.

Not cheating, but I'm sure not what Bioware had in mind for it's use.

Disabling /stuck in wzs would be much more negative than the impact of people misusing it, however. I still get legitimately stuck on way too regular of a basis, especially with combinations of jumps/pulls/air vents.

LOL ok im confused

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that /stuck should either be available to everyone, or available to no one. Its not right that just a small number of people use it but everyone else is labeled an exploiter if they try to even the field.

It would be like if pro sports didn't take a stand against steroids. If steroids weren't illegal, players would be REQUIRED to juice up to compete. It wouldn't be the player's fault that they have to adapt to the system. It would be the league's fault for not keeping things level in the first place.

The same is true here. In theory, not using /stuck is a disadvantage. And currently it has not been declared an exploit by BW (the league). As it stands, this is not currently a BW Enforced Exploit. As of now, its simply a cheap tactic. The community is asking people to voluntarily not use a game feature (on the honor system) and that's the wrong way to handle it.

The way to fix resolve is not to ask all the players to stop stunning people, and if you continue to use stun, you're an exploiter. It just can't work that way.

QFT. This guy gets it.

That means you're using the feature as it was intended to be used. Which is not what this thread is about.

It's about using it in pvp. If I use that and get an instant spawn, does that mean in cheating too? That's my point. Some people use it maliciously, but others such as myself use it for legitimate purposes, even though it may look like it we aren't to someone who's not viewing my screen. How do you know if someone is using it legitimately or not?

It's about using it in pvp. If I use that and get an instant spawn, does that mean in cheating too? That's my point. Some people use it maliciously, but others such as myself use it for legitimate purposes, even though it may look like it we aren't to someone who's not viewing my screen. How do you know if someone is using it legitimately or not?

I think that depends on the intention of the posters on this thread. If they are saying "its a fair use of game-mechanics" to use it, it's pretty much an indication that type of player will use anything they can to exploit or win imo. Same excuse is used by players with that mentality all of the time for other exploits/cheats.

In your case I would say you had no choice to use it if the game bugs out, and thats what its for. I guess the problem lies in the coding, and needs to be fixed.

What I will say though is when I have been stuck in a warzone in this game and ive used it (stuck in cc for example) - it doesn't work for me. I have to quit the warzone.

If your using it to get an instant spawn, ye thats cheating too (imo). Shouldnt have to explain why.

Edited by PloGreen

I agree. My point is intent behind the use. I use it to clear up targeting errors or when I'm stuck. But to clear that up most of the time it kills me and gives me an instant spawn. It's not what I wanted, but it happens as a result of clearing the bug I'm experiencing.

Use CTRL+U for desync problems...

And how often do you get real stuck? Two or three times per year? :rolleyes:

20-30 (40? :p) sec channeled stuck would be nice!

Use CTRL+U for desync problems...

And how often do you get real stuck? Two or three times per year? :rolleyes:

20-30 (40? :p) sec channeled stuck would be nice!

Channeled stuck is not right because if I were to be the opponent of the stucked guy, I would be able to interrupt him and lol because I just succeed to make him useless for 10+ additionnal seconds.

A lockout timer on the the respawning button (like when you die in PvE and want to respawn at the same place) is a better way.