Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Patch Error

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 04:19 PM | #1
I will try and make my situation as organized and detailed as possible.

Problem: Upon install of the new patch, i will get an error stating the Install Failed. This will occur roughly 10% into the install part of the update, whereas the download goes fine. At this point i run the Repair. I will now post the dates and solutions ive attempted. The Repair Scan goes fine however, roughly 1/6th of the way into the actual Repair (Where it says, 'Repairing 9 File(s)') it will go very slowly.

1/9/13 - Problem Surfaces
- Ran Repair in the evening and went to sleep.

1/10/13 - Continuation
- Woke up and checked my computer to find it, once again, stating 'Install Failed'
- Ran another Repair which ran all day, resulting in the same thing.
- Redownloaded SWTOR_Setup.exe
- Began another Repair attempt in the evening and went to sleep.

1/11/13 - More Continuation
- Woke up and checked my computer. The Repair froze and did not do anything
- Re-attempted Patch Install incase it actually did Repair last night, but the Error remains.
- Last but not least, while typing the rest of this up i ran FixLauncher.exe, the error remains.

Some information on my PC:
- Windows Vista Home Premium
(Old, i know, but has had no real issues with SWTOR in the past.)
- Contains 4GB of Ram
(Also not impressive but my performance is not an issue.)

EDIT: My Patch Log:

Spoiler
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din

Cerimon
01.11.2013 , 04:30 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi ShadowNessej,
  • You may need to allow the launcher (launcher.exe) and game client (swtor.exe) to communicate through your firewall. For the Windows firewall you can check the following guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-Firewall. For other third-party firewalls, please refer to the software manufacturer for specific instructions on adding exceptions to those firewalls.
  • Anti-Virus software can also cause issues launching the game. There are a number of different anti-virus software variations out there, so we've included some general steps below that might help:
    1. Open up your Anti-virus software menu and check that 'swtor.exe' and 'launcher.exe' are NOT in a quarantine list or deletion list.
    2. Add swtor.exe and launcher.exe to your anti-virus 'safelist'.
    If you are unsure on how to do either of the above steps then you should contact the manufacturer of your Anti-Virus software.
  • Please ensure you have set the launcher to run with Administrative privileges. To do this on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 system, right click on the launcher.exe file located by default in the locations below:
    • For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
    • For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\ Select 'Properties', click on the 'Compatibility' tab and check the box at the bottom under 'Privilege Level' where it says 'Run this Program as an administrator', then click Apply and OK.

Please post again if these steps do not help you progress.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 04:46 PM | #3
Hello and thank you for the quick response!
I'd like to address each suggestion 1 at a time, in order.
  • The link provided does not seem to work for me, saying the page does not exist upon entering it. Regardless i haven't made any changes to my firewall exceptions since long before it was working, leading me to believe this isn't the issue.
  • I have checked my Security Systems and currently do not have either blocked, also leading me to believe this is not the issue.
  • Upon load-up my launcher is automatically set to run as administrator.
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din

Cerimon
01.11.2013 , 05:04 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
ShadowNessej,

Sorry for the bad link, the one you need is this one.

Please remove and re-add firewall and antivirus exceptions for SWTOR.exe and Launcher.exe as new versions of these files can still trigger your AV software even if an exception has already been made.

Again, let us know if the problem continues.

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 06:05 PM | #5
I have done so. however, the problem remains.
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din

Cerimon
01.11.2013 , 06:33 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
ShadowNessej,

Perform a clean boot of your system(Win 7, 8 & Vista) and while booted in this mode try the setup file again.

Please also make sure to have an updated and cleanly running version of Internet Explorer on your PC regardless of whether you use this browser or not.

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 07:12 PM | #7
I have tried this with no success.

I know it is not recommended but i am in the process of a complete reinstallation of my game to see if that makes any progress, i will update this post once i have done so. I thank you for your quick response times and simply request you keep an eye on this thread for any replies from me of a status update.
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 10:34 PM | #8
I have completely reinstalled my game with no solution occuring, so i am open to more advice on how to fix this.

I had to miss a guild event due to this issue...

EDIT: I'm going to try another thing. It would seem i havent run a Windows Update in awhile, and there were 48 released available to install, 40+ of which were listed as important. And my computer being a Vista, this is a prime possibility. I will edit this post once more upon testing.
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din

Beruthien
01.11.2013 , 10:51 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings ShadowNessej,

Repeated and failed repairs like this may indicate an issue with your hard drive or memory.

Could you please run chkdsk and Memtest86+ (please run memtest86+ at least times) to check for any errors with the the hardware?

Thank you!
Beruthien| BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

ShadowNessej
01.11.2013 , 11:10 PM | #10
After running a chkdsk the only thing that stands out is where it says, "Index entry bcm4sbxp.sys.mui in index $I30 of file 8220 is incorrect."

As i am not very much of a computer expert, does this mean anything and, if it does, is there a way to fix it?
Kaanth
Clan Epsis
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din