Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seriously?!?

nosmos
01.10.2013 , 09:13 AM | #41
What this guy is doing, and its harder now that folks are becoming aware of him - is joining a Guilds Voice using an officer or Gm's alias - from here he pretends to speak but nothing comes out, he whispers someone in game on a low lvl "alt" saying his mic isnt working, can he get an invite. Then he robs the gbank and runs off. How is this acceptable?
55 Assassin - 55 Sorc - 55 Jug - 55 Marauder - 55 Sniper
55 Operative - 55 merc - 55 Powertech

oofalong
01.10.2013 , 09:34 AM | #42
It is not acceptable and it is not right. At the same time it is not something for BW to regulate as it invites too slippery slope. Plus the legal complexities, if there really are any, are too complex and difficult or too costly to enforce.

There is a lot of deceitful behavior in this game, and opportunities for people to be duped. At the end of the day this comes down to individual responsibility. The simplest and most fool-proof solution is for people to be more vigilant, and to inform the community which this thread and the deleted threads have done.

I say this having all the empathy for those who have been swindled. I hope this thread is not deleted and others on the server are able to learn from this.

Incidentally, what surprises me most is this guy's intimate knowledge of everyone's guild and their communication procedures.
Prophecy of the Five
Read my Annihilation & Watchman Compendium whenever that site comes back online.
Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Read my new and improved relic explanation.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.

Naoshiki
01.10.2013 , 11:23 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinxDuff View Post
Not EAs fault your guild is irresponsible. Why would you promote anyone on a whim?
Agreed
Don't Holocall and Speeder. It's the Law! - Audacious - Prophecy of the Five
Raiju, Feracity & Brynhìldr 55 Sorcs, Chervil 55 Sniper, Bvlgaris 55 Op
Silva'daeus 55 Bounty Hunter, Xavellia 55 Jug, Gianetta 55 PT
Malyponopos 55 Sent, Baby'Bátter 55 GS, Raijillia 55 Sage

Master_Nate
01.10.2013 , 11:27 AM | #44
I'm looking for a guild...must promote me to have access to your bank though, no questions asked. Message me, thanks!
IMPERIAL AGENT
Nodo/Yonder
Lobsters go PEENCH PEENCH
Prophecy of the Five

nosmos
01.11.2013 , 10:39 AM | #45
For you folks whose only response is "your own fault" "not Biowares fault your guild is dumb" and so on and so forth - your missing the point. In fact, your responses showing a compete lack of care make me think you could be the culprits. This was happening over the span of a few days, before this thread was made - and quite a few guilds got scammed. Why? The game has been out a year, and this has not happened. How can people predict something with no point of reference?

People did not 'randomly' promote someone, purposely give a stranger access to their guildbank. This individual or persons were impersonating a guild Officer or GM through their respective Voice - pretending their mic was not working and messaging a player in game on a low level alt. Honestly, If i didn't hear about this and the above scenario occurred I would have fallen for it too.

If a player in game sends tells to someone in a crude manner, it is considered harassment and action can be taken. If folks in general misbehave in a certain way, its harassment and action can be taken. Well, impersonating a guild member to gain access to their guild bank, then running away with stabilizers is harassment - and Bioware has to be looking into this, and a response would be lovely.

DarkSenious
01.11.2013 , 01:19 PM | #46
I have been following this thread for a while now, and in all honesty the fault does not fall on the scammer (Btw he’s got some serious balls). How dim witted can your guild be to fall for something like that? It’s like taking candy from a baby. I mean really I hear you all ranting and wanting Bioware do something about it, and why should they?! He/she didn’t really break any rules really when you think about it. How can you’re the scammer did? It sounds like most of the chat was done in the guilds respective VoIP’s. Besides that can be manipulated. Secondly how could you prove he scammed you? If you gave the scammer the rights then you gave him the rights…. Christ you people are sad just get over it and implement new guild bank protocols to protect against this kind of stuff. We need to all be friends 

nosmos
01.11.2013 , 01:24 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkSenious View Post
I have been following this thread for a while now, and in all honesty the fault does not fall on the scammer (Btw he’s got some serious balls). How dim witted can your guild be to fall for something like that? It’s like taking candy from a baby. I mean really I hear you all ranting and wanting Bioware do something about it, and why should they?! He/she didn’t really break any rules really when you think about it. How can you’re the scammer did? It sounds like most of the chat was done in the guilds respective VoIP’s. Besides that can be manipulated. Secondly how could you prove he scammed you? If you gave the scammer the rights then you gave him the rights…. Christ you people are sad just get over it and implement new guild bank protocols to protect against this kind of stuff. We need to all be friends 
The fault does not fall on the scammer? This individual(s) is being a complete douche bag, how many threads exist on people ninja'n stuff, rolling on items they dont need...douchebaggery exists everywhere, it's not the fault of the individual being douched on! Whoever is / was doing this, did so before people knew about it - which 'most' do now because of the forums and general. Therefore, it was prior to folks having even foreseen any circumstance like this. You can't conceptualize an attack with no point of reference - it makes no sense. It's harassment plain and simple, and the biggest douchebag in the universe award goes too!

BTW my guild did not get scammed by this, but it frustrates me that some people don't seem to give a flying **** and in fact seem to stick up for this person. Glad your not my pal

Naoshiki
01.11.2013 , 02:14 PM | #48
You guys need to think of this as personal security. If you think a situation is even the slightest bit odd, even if you have never encountered the situation, you should immediately question it.

I'm sure there are some players that played wow out there. How many times have people received emails stating that they were eligible for a free mount or a PTR trial. The email seems funny it comes from a name that looks like the host company. You click the link and the page looks just like the main login site. If you put your information and transmit it says something like your password is incorrect. Then it might have you verify your security questions. Once a person does that nothing happens. Well from that point said individual more than likely lost access to their account the security questions have been changed and all that fun stuff.

I know its a different situation from whats going on in game but the principle is the same. Someone is deceiving you to get something they want.

The Easiest way to prevent this guy from scamming anyone is to:

1. Limit who can invite to your guild.
2. Limit the access to your guild bank. (High value tab - limited access)
3. Limit who can promote characters in guild. (Make sure no one can promote to give access to "high value tab")
4. Verify from the main character that they are wanting to have an alt brought into a guild. (Don't take the word of a character that you have never seen before. How hard is it to switch to their main )
5. For new members in guild, don't promote them until they can be trusted or prove that they are there to help the guild.

Everything I stated is minimal security. If you want to go farther that's great.

On another note. If someone stole your identity. Took credit cards out in your name, got a few loans, subscribed to new services, et cetera. It doesn't matter how that individual got your information, whether he impersonated you, rummaged your trash or hacked your computer, YOU are still responsible for whatever damage they did. Now there is a long and lengthy process of recovering your identity but most companies will still hold you responsible.

So please do yourself a favor and protect yourself and always question a situation that seems a little odd.

Naoshiki
01.11.2013 , 02:19 PM | #49
I'm double posting and yes I know its bad etiquette but i only do so because this post might get deleted and I do not want the previous post to get deleted because I feel like its pretty useful information.

The following are bad and funny situations that have happened in gaming. I hope you enjoy the read. Maybe we will see SWTOR on one of these lists one day.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...aming-history/

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-bi...online-gaming/

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-mo...aming-history/

Beaucore
01.11.2013 , 04:58 PM | #50
First off, I just want to say that everyone has taken the intentions of my post incorrectly. I am simply posting as a guild GM trying to inform fellow players on my server about current scams. I could careless what happens to this guy, or if he broke the law, or anything in such manner. My concern is that fellow guilds on POTF do not fall victims to this d-bag.

And my question is, why would you simply just take this dudes word and promote him? I mean, lets put it into real life. If I came to your house and said I was your Lawyer and needed all your personal information and access to your bank accounts and what not, wouldn't that alarm you to seek further verification that I am truly your lawyer? I am sure most of you said yes, if you did not then you deserve whatever happens to you.

SOOOOOOO, lets get back on topic about warning other guilds about the issue at hand and keep our defenses up against the guy and quit being worried about if he is breaking the law or some BS like that. Because obviously this scam was present in WoW as well and nothing happened to those players either.