Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pvtcarnage's Avatar


Pvtcarnage
01.11.2013 , 09:23 AM | #381
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
You dont have to follow the SGR's so I dont see what your problem is.

It wasnt in the movies because being gay was very controversial during the 80's but these days its accepted and even applauded to be included in mainstream media like games.
Also Lucas was/is a bit of a prude.

Yes many novels and movies did and how many of them were popular back then?
But the option comes up and is offered so no I don't need to follow it but even bring it up for decision ruins the immersion.

So because his beliefs don't coincide with yours he's a prude? see the double standard?

Sure they were popular to you back then? why does everyone need to like what you do?
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane

Pvtcarnage's Avatar


Pvtcarnage
01.11.2013 , 09:27 AM | #382
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
So, SGRA's are not ok because they weren't shown in any of the Movies, WHICH by the way showed only a small fraction of the overall Galaxy. And since there weren't any shown they aren't allowed to be added, but wait, Luke and Leia kissed...

Oh, and Mandalorians weren't specifically mentioned, by name, in any of the movies. Neither were the Chiss, Miraluka, Mirialan, Ratataki, and roughly 75 - 90% of what is in this Game.
Yes they did kiss, whats your point?
and the other stuff added was in no way foreign to Lucas's world.
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.11.2013 , 09:32 AM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
Yes they did kiss, whats your point?
and the other stuff added was in no way foreign to Lucas's world.
"Was in no way foreign to Lucas's world"... Yeah well, then SGR's are not foreign to Lucas's World either. There isn't any example of the majority of what is in this Game that was shown in Lucas's Movies, yet we have them because of what? That's right, the Expanded Universe, which is where the SGR's come in.

My point is, is that almost half the time the people who state that there weren't any Gays, Lesbians, etc shown in the Movies, therefore shouldn't be added to the game, seem to not realize that the Majority of what is in this game wasn't even shown &/or mentioned in any of the Movies. Also, we have 3 new Movies coming, so for all anyone knows, they might add some Gay/Lesbian/Etc Characters into any/all of the 3 new Movies.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
01.11.2013 , 09:41 AM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
I would like examples of SGR in George Lucas's Star Wars, I don't believe the one's you qoute are getting royalties? or at least were.
Since the books are made/published by Lucasarts and same with the videogame, yes Lucas did get royalties.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
But the option comes up and is offered so no I don't need to follow it but even bring it up for decision ruins the immersion.

So because his beliefs don't coincide with yours he's a prude? see the double standard?

Sure they were popular to you back then? why does everyone need to like what you do?
So your experience is ruined by lack of option? Or because you dont want the option to be in the game at all, my experience would be ruined? Thats fair!
At least youll have the option of ignoring which is more than we have

No he's a prude because he showed several times that he doesnt want to do too extravagant things (except Luke and Leia kissing obviously)
He's not anti-gay so his beliefs arent the problem here, he's from an older generation. A good example is my grandma, shes fine with my nephew being gay but doesnt like it if he and his boyfriend kiss in front of everyone. She doesnt like it when me and my wife do it either because shes from a generation where such a thing was only done in private.

Thank you, try again.

Name a movie that was about as popular as Star Wars from before the 80's that had explicit gay or lesbian romances in it. And it had to be popular at the time.
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

Pvtcarnage's Avatar


Pvtcarnage
01.11.2013 , 09:51 AM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
"Was in no way foreign to Lucas's world"... Yeah well, then SGR's are not foreign to Lucas's World either. There isn't any example of the majority of what is in this Game that was shown in Lucas's Movies, yet we have them because of what? That's right, the Expanded Universe, which is where the SGR's come in.

My point is, is that almost half the time the people who state that there weren't any Gays, Lesbians, etc shown in the Movies, therefore shouldn't be added to the game, seem to not realize that the Majority of what is in this game wasn't even shown &/or mentioned in any of the Movies. Also, we have 3 new Movies coming, so for all anyone knows, they might add some Gay/Lesbian/Etc Characters into any/all of the 3 new Movies.
Yea I'm sure Disney will be PC about the issue lol

Majority should rule here and it looks like it's going that way since all they are doing is some NPC flirt. Nuff said, not everyone has your view (majority) Less may speak up due to the slurs your type throw at them but none the less no one has to like agenda's push down their throat.
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.11.2013 , 10:02 AM | #386
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
Yea I'm sure Disney will be PC about the issue lol

Majority should rule here and it looks like it's going that way since all they are doing is some NPC flirt.
First, Disney doesn't have a problem with it and Disney isn't just about Children as they have released things aimed at people who are Teens and older.

Second, you may need to re-read what was stated as far as the inclusion of SGRA's. NPC Flirt is JUST the beginning.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

"Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

So, NPC Flirts is not all that they are doing, NPC Flirts are just the beginning as there will be more to come.

Revanchis's Avatar


Revanchis
01.11.2013 , 10:13 AM | #387
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
Sorry you feel it's mean spirited, but adding SGR ruins my Star wars experience and takes out any immersion that might of been there.

And because it's from the 80's does not mean you can now add your agenda into the game because you think it was not in the story due to a time frame. Many novels and movies had SGR stuff before the eighties and makes your point null.
It's not about the timeframe, it's about the cultural attitudes of that decade. Would you say the same thing about movies from the 40's "adding the agenda" of racial equality or movies from the 50's "adding the agenda" of gender equality? This is pretty much common knowledge at this point. Things change as time moves on, either get used to it or continue to fight it, but you can't fight the rising tide.

For the record, there wasn't many mainstream movies in the 80's that had LGBT characters.

Distracted's Avatar


Distracted
01.11.2013 , 10:14 AM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
Sorry you feel it's mean spirited, but adding SGR ruins my Star wars experience and takes out any immersion that might of been there.
You won't be forced to participate in it. All this really comes down to is you not wanting something in the game that you hate & you're trying to use the immersion argument as justification. Maybe it's time for people like you to join the rest of the civilised world in jumping off the gay hate train.
Quote: Originally Posted by Notannos
Greetings Everyone,

We understand that players are currently pleasing dissatisfaction with the reward program for Game Update 1.2.

-IceHawk-'s Avatar


-IceHawk-
01.11.2013 , 10:26 AM | #389
The last time I checked the SCOTUS had not incorporated the Bill of Rights into the virtual world of pixilated interactions between graphical blobs, so discussions of the inclusion of SGRA as fundamentally about Constitutional Rights or Equality are quite frankly invalid. (Not to mention apparently against the Forum TOS and a bannable offense as they constitute political arguments.)

If you want to strive for an individualized sense of equality and a broad based alteration to the concepts of socially normative sexual politics by all means contact your Congressman and start or join a movement.

That has nothing to do with Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Personally, I would prefer it if Bioware stopped introducing politically charged issues into the canon and actually dedicated its Story Content Funding into the extension of individual class stories.

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.11.2013 , 10:31 AM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Personally, I would prefer it if Bioware stopped introducing politically charged issues into the canon and actually dedicated its Story Content Funding into the extension of individual class stories.
That goes both ways, because gun control is a politically charged issue, so should BioWare not add firearms to the game? Oh and there are 2 Gay Mandalorians in the Lore and they were NOT added by BioWare. Also, SGRA's are Story Content, and them adding SGRA's weren't the sole reason for them not including Chapter 4's to the RotHC Expansion. Plus, SGRA's doesn't mean that they won't add Chapter 4+ to the Classes.