Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking Stat Caps Debate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking Stat Caps Debate

Marb
01.07.2013 , 09:19 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
I agree with just about everything said here. To make your self optimal drop damn near all that defense... 15% is more than enough and dont bother with accuracy as someone else stated. Its nice to completely avoid an attack but when you dodge things as a PT it screws with your heat. I'm not sure about juggy's, but as far as i know NO tank uses accuracy.
Saying that defence over 15% screws up heat management is voodoo. That 60% odd shield chance you have is not going to stop venting heat once you go over some arbitrary defence threshold. The internal cooldown on shield vents effectively makes it proc on cooldown against M/R attacks.

Spreadsheets don't place any more emphasis on defence than is optimal. In high mitigation mods anywhere from 18-20% defence with a stim is where you want to be.
Harbinger

Mc_Gregor
01.07.2013 , 09:30 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
Saying that defence over 15% screws up heat management is just voodoo. That 60% odd shield chance you have is not going to stop venting heat once you go over some arbitrary defence threshold. The internal cooldown on shield vents effectively makes it proc on cooldown against M/R attacks.

Spreadsheets don't place any more emphasis on defence then is optimal. In high mitigation mods anywhere from 18-20% defence with a stim is where you want to be.
Actually it would stop venting heat since dodged attack cant be shielded and wont vent heat. So if you avoid every attack in a fight you would vent 0 heat except for standard heat dissipation :P Of course it is not going to happen in real world but still shows the idea how too high defence can stop shield from venting heat properly. But I do agree with the number you give, Im running with 17.5% defence chance and thats exactly what I want it to be.

Marb
01.07.2013 , 09:38 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Mc_Gregor View Post
Actually it would stop venting heat since dodged attack cant be shielded and wont vent heat. So if you avoid every attack in a fight you would vent 0 heat except for standard heat dissipation :P Of course it is not going to happen in real world but still shows the idea how too high defence can stop shield from venting heat properly. But I do agree with the number you give, Im running with 17.5% defence chance and thats exactly what I want it to be.
I understand how defence will bypass shield, but shield vents can only proc every 6 seconds. That in addition to naturally higher shield in ratio to defence is going to mean that it will proc pretty much on cool-down. Following the spreadsheet for optimal damage mitigation is not going to impact on your heat management at all.
Harbinger

Jilisipone
01.07.2013 , 02:24 PM | #14
Thanks everyone for their input. I'm glad it looks like I was understanding things correctly. I'm not overly concerned with proving the other person wrong, as I was more concerned with making sure that I was not incorrect. So with this knowledge I'll just keep doing things my way and trying to coach other tanks the same way.

If he wants to keep believing in his stats, that is between him and the healers in my mind and will eventually work itself out or it won't. Either way it won't affect my playstyle.

Just as to note....when I'm fully buffed up and running I'm currently sitting at:

24.8K HP (just respeced out of the 3% endurance buff) over to Iron Fist
18.31% Defense
54.74% Shield Chance
67.32% Absorb (with Heat Screen)

I know the Endurance talent isn't as useful as Iron Fist and Prototype Cylinders....but it was a personal choice to help the healers feel a little bit better about me being over 24k HP quicker. (which tends to be a mental comfort number many healers like to see for tanks upon initial perception). And I was having no problems holding threat without the DPS increase. But now that I'm well over 24k without it...I figure the extra DPS will help hold threat against overgeared DPS and also help us to beat some of those fights it seems like we are right on the enrage timer for (hey..even 20 more DPS from the tank is still 20 more DPS right, and I'm sure the new spec will be a decent DPS increase for me).

Some of you suggesting I dump some Defense may not have realized that my ratings I posted originally were with Stim...without Stim I'm only sitting at 17.22%. Going by the spreadhseet stat weights I swap around augments to do all I can to keep within .1 - .2% equivalency between the three stats.

Thanks again for your replies and keep up the good work tanking.

FillionFan
01.10.2013 , 03:19 PM | #15
If you want to do the legwork yourself, this is an updated version of the LagunaD tanking spreadsheet for which he had the (still correct) diminishing returns calculations set up. It gives you the value of each stat based on your current budget and current DR rate of each.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0LXhXU0E#gid=0

Does not account for activated/proc relics.