Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

kabeone
01.09.2013 , 02:07 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
...So apparently my brain is more interested in actual psychological fallout than neat tying-up of happy-ending strings. Thanks, brain! Seriously, though, things'll even out.

Just not between Quinn and Wynston. I don't see that ever, ever getting friendly. Instead, we have a cease-fire with the understanding that they'll stay out of mutual line of sight. Hooray, diplomacy!

I have a couple other things in mind for...sometime. Nothing tremendously earth (Kaas?)-shaking.
Is it bad that all I saw was happy? Pshh psychological wut? You got the girl it stopped raining for five minutes... sure you can barely walk, you're sexually frustrated, and you still have to deal with your girlfriend's ex. It stopped raining! HAPPY darn it! HAPPY!

Also, Doc got a smooch! A peck on the cheek but still!

bright_ephemera
01.09.2013 , 09:48 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Is it bad that all I saw was happy? Pshh psychological wut? You got the girl it stopped raining for five minutes... sure you can barely walk, you're sexually frustrated, and you still have to deal with your girlfriend's ex. It stopped raining! HAPPY darn it! HAPPY!

Also, Doc got a smooch! A peck on the cheek but still!
I was in fact in ridiculously happy mode whilst sitting in Wynston's headspace writing it. Half a second's lingering worry over Quinn, but hey then kisses plus hope and cheer for all. Then after I posted I thought "huh, that may have come out all...complicated with stupid real-person thinking-too-much worries instead of neat cheerful end-of-story thoughts." Then I thought "nah, they're happy complicated thinking-too-much worry-studded thoughts. With happiness. So there."

Also, Doc, you're now the third guy the Emperor's Wrath has kissed since she came to the job. Be honored!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
01.10.2013 , 07:37 AM | #163
Epilogue, scene 3: On Dromund Kaas

Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
01.10.2013 , 02:14 PM | #164
D'awww cuteness.

Also, while it's nice to think that things would be smooth sailing for them from now on, there would have to be a hefty transition period for them both. I mean, they've been "together" but not actually co-habitating for like a decade and a half. Each has their own habits, ways they like things done, all that sort of thing that new couples have to work out. Plus I'd think it would bring up the whole question of Wynston's uh...personal methods of manipulation again (maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help but think that him coming home directly from an op like that would feel different than there-was-a-girl-last-week).

Nom nom speculation

Edit: Also, Cole's relationship with Wynston so far has been a friendly, supportive, but largely absent male figure. If they're actually together, wouldn't it change?

Nom nom more speculation lol.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
01.10.2013 , 02:20 PM | #165
Epilogue, scene 4: On the Aegis

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.10.2013 , 02:25 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
D'awww cuteness.

Also, while it's nice to think that things would be smooth sailing for them from now on, there would have to be a hefty transition period for them both. I mean, they've been "together" but not actually co-habitating for like a decade and a half. Each has their own habits, ways they like things done, all that sort of thing that new couples have to work out. Plus I'd think it would bring up the whole question of Wynston's uh...personal methods of manipulation again (maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help but think that him coming home directly from an op like that would feel different than there-was-a-girl-last-week).

Nom nom speculation

Edit: Also, Cole's relationship with Wynston so far has been a friendly, supportive, but largely absent male figure. If they're actually together, wouldn't it change?

Nom nom more speculation lol.
Ack, ninja comment!

There's tons of stuff to speculate, I'm just not sure of the narrative merit of writing up "The Exciting Adventures of What Do You Mean You Squeeze the Toothpaste All Willy-Nilly Instead Of Squeezing From The Bottom?" Still, fun to think how they might settle in.

The sleeping-with-people thing is definitely gonna have to change. Keeping it out of your partner's face gets less practical when your partner's face moves in with you. Wynston alluded to it in the vaguest possible terms when he said that he had some leeway in picking assignments and the implementation thereof, along with some willingness to adapt the scope. Easily said; might take some getting used to in practice.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
01.10.2013 , 02:55 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Ack, ninja comment!

There's tons of stuff to speculate, I'm just not sure of the narrative merit of writing up "The Exciting Adventures of What Do You Mean You Squeeze the Toothpaste All Willy-Nilly Instead Of Squeezing From The Bottom?" Still, fun to think how they might settle in.

The sleeping-with-people thing is definitely gonna have to change. Keeping it out of your partner's face gets less practical when your partner's face moves in with you. Wynston alluded to it in the vaguest possible terms when he said that he had some leeway in picking assignments and the implementation thereof, along with some willingness to adapt the scope. Easily said; might take some getting used to in practice.
Ah, I wondered if that's what he was referring to. Thought it might be. At any rate, happy endings are all happy fuzzy goodness so I'm good here
---------------

bright_ephemera
01.11.2013 , 11:39 PM | #168
Epilogue part 5, subtitled I'm no longer even pretending this is tying off the story as such, I'm just posting random post-main-plot thoughts. Somehow this became 1900 words. It is set a few weeks after Lodestone ends, immediately after Wynston gets to crawl out of the tank and show Ruth around his corner of the Aegis.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.12.2013 , 01:25 AM | #169
Epilogue, part 6: Second Thoughts, or, kabeone said I could rip open Wynston's psyche and pull out all the things. This poor man. In prime universe he went through his life in blissful ignorance and/or denial of a ton, a ton, of this stuff.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
01.12.2013 , 12:20 PM | #170
Quote:
I very strongly feel that unreliable men don't magically reform when they meet the right girl, so I'm not sure what to think of this. Except that separate field assignments every now and then might be to their benefit.
No, not magically reform, but people do change over time. Haven't met one who hasn't. Him basing getting bored on a youthful relationship negates the growth he's done over time. And these two have had plenty of time. Plus there's the fact that while Wynston is sure that he would have gotten bored in all other cases (and maybe he would have) he has been avoiding permanent relationships for so long that he may have surprised himself somewhere else as well.

I thought his drunk overly pessimistic view of wasting time was interesting - drunk Wynston is moody and prone to melodrama lol.
---------------