Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My concern about hacking not getting addressed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
My concern about hacking not getting addressed
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Iliac
01.10.2013 , 01:39 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
Not exactly the same as you quoted, but we can say this:

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."
And yet, we have people that have knowingly been using these hacks in warzones, have been reported repeatedly, have had forum posts about, and all of this going on for months with no action being taken against them.
"We live in a country that guarantees your free speech,
but it's not a country that guarantees anything you say is correct"
-Neil DeGrass Tyson

TUXs
01.10.2013 , 02:01 PM | #32

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."
Making adjustments? WHEN Phillip??? Why haven't they been MADE already? This should be an emergency patch, not a freaking warning. When I saw a Bioware employee had posted in this thread, I was hopeful it was something along the lines of "We recently made adjustments..."...it's not like this game is new...nor are the hacks....

Move with some urgency for once. PLEASE...
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

byteresistor
01.10.2013 , 04:12 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
12 months to look in to what? I have never seen anyone I thought was hacking.
Didn't happen to me, therefore it doesn't exist. Perfect logic is perfect.

Phillip_BW
01.10.2013 , 05:05 PM | #34 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Iliac View Post
And yet, we have people that have knowingly been using these hacks in warzones, have been reported repeatedly, have had forum posts about, and all of this going on for months with no action being taken against them.
I can't go in to a lot of details, but I can say that actions are taken where appropriate by our Terms of Service team and have been since the launch of the game back in 2011. At the same time I've seen multiple exploiters be less than truthful in public about how no action is being taken against them when in reality any number of their multiple accounts might be suspended or previously permanently banned at the same time.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Making adjustments? WHEN Phillip??? Why haven't they been MADE already? This should be an emergency patch, not a freaking warning. When I saw a Bioware employee had posted in this thread, I was hopeful it was something along the lines of "We recently made adjustments..."...it's not like this game is new...nor are the hacks....

Move with some urgency for once. PLEASE...
Apologies, I missed adding the word 'continually'...

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are continually making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

I realize the lack of correcting the more public exploiters in the past has implied they have had no actions taken against them. My only advice there is not to take at face value the words of the people who deliberately cheat.

For reference, we have put up messaging about exploits such as speedhacking in the past. An example from April 2011: http://www.swtor.com/blog/action-bei...its-and-cheats

Phillip Holmes
SWTOR Head of Security

FourPawnBenoni
01.10.2013 , 05:11 PM | #35

Thanks Phillip; just glad that the issue is being publicly addressed. That should serve as a good "warning shot" before hammer drops. I look forward to your adjustments and continued vigilance.

Glower
01.10.2013 , 05:38 PM | #36
Phillip Holmes,
SWTOR Head of Security
How about abusing /stuck on warzones?

/stuck in pvp do you consider it cheating? http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...549589&page=14
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Icebergy
01.10.2013 , 06:38 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by byteresistor View Post
Didn't happen to me, therefore it doesn't exist. Perfect logic is perfect.
I never said it didn't happen, but I would argue that the people making a huge deal about this are most likely exaggerating, whether they are doing it purposely or not.

Chances are good that people are either a) lying, b) wrong, or c) the issue isn't nearly as prevalent as they are making it out to be.

Now I am not saying Bioware gets a free pass here and that its OK for people to hack the game, I don't believe that at all. However, the freak out sessions seriously need a toning down.
10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 7/10 HM
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Alericus
01.10.2013 , 07:02 PM | #38
I realize the lack of correcting the more public exploiters in the past has implied they have had no actions taken against them. My only advice there is not to take at face value the words of the people who deliberately cheat.

There is a big clue here if you read critically..thats all I am going to say
Alaricus
"Through Strength I Gain Power!"

Ansalem
01.10.2013 , 07:05 PM | #39
still seeing the hacks and still seeing my tickets go ignored...this is why I hate pvp in swtor...oh well at least there is pve...now if only they would give us actual new content instead of 3 difficulties of the same operation that is too easy.

TUXs
01.10.2013 , 08:07 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
still seeing the hacks and still seeing my tickets go ignored...this is why I hate pvp in swtor...oh well at least there is pve...now if only they would give us actual new content instead of 3 difficulties of the same operation that is too easy.
This is what troubles me. There was a guy with a name that sounds like Bingers that was VERY public about his hacking. Bioware claims to have noticed on day 1, something I don't doubt, but he went on to continue hacking for nearly 7 more weeks before any action was taken to remove him from the game, which was allegedly banning him per a post by a Bioware employee on reddit.

I understand that people will find ways to cheat. I'm THRILLED Bioware seems to take it "seriously". But I'm baffled as to why it takes them so blasted long to ACT! For 7 weeks Ginge...err...Bingers exploited...unpunished, flaunting his cheats. WHY??? Why was ONE very public hacker allowed to destroy gameplay for that long? What happens to the subtle Bingers?

I'd really like to know why it took Bioware so long to do anything when they claimed to have spotted it on day 1?
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])