Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Driod rights.

internaty
01.10.2013 , 10:23 AM | #1
In star wars there are people in the republic who believe driods shoud have rights and there are people who believe driods are property.

The empire it doesnt mather since a driod is no different from a slave.

I thought lets bring that discussion into the forums:

So long version short.

Do you support driods having rights?
Or do you see them as property.

Tell us your point of view.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

Wolfninjajedi
01.10.2013 , 10:26 AM | #2
If they are able to function independently, and actually develop a sort of life of its own. Then I don't see why they can't have rights, would it be a little strange? Sure I guess...but when are things in fiction ever normal anyway?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Talon_Starfire
01.10.2013 , 10:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
If they are able to function independently, and actually develop a sort of life of its own. Then I don't see why they can't have rights, would it be a little strange? Sure I guess...but when are things in fiction ever normal anyway?
It depends on the Droids R2-D2 and Iron Knights yes a machine created to do the same task over & over again no.
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Wolfninjajedi
01.10.2013 , 10:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
It depends on the Droids R2-D2 and Iron Knights yes a machine created to do the same task over & over again no.
Ya thats what I mean, able to act independently and the like.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TheBentOne
01.10.2013 , 01:33 PM | #5
"Droids tend to blend into the background, like a bench or a card table. Mockery: Droid, fetch this. Droid, translate that. Droid, clean out the trash compactor. Part of the love of my function comes when the ‘furnishings’ pull out tibanna-powered rifles and point them at the owners' heads."
―HK-47
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

Scutum
01.10.2013 , 01:35 PM | #6
The whole argument even now is when an A.I. is considered to be sentient enough to deserve rights.

In the SW universe, it seems that some droids can develop enough of a personality to qualify for rights if not given periodical memory wipes (think T3 or R2). I think that a machine already programmed with enough sentience or one that develops enough to actually make their own decisions and choices (like IG-88) can earn the same rights as the actual living things of the galaxy.

I don't know if that's actually practice though in the SW universe. I remember in "Attack of the Clones" Obi-Wan was talking to the diner owner (Dex?) and the thought of a droid rebellion was discussed. Something like that would probably be pretty catastrophic.
<--------------------------------------------------->
"This is all very interesting, but why should I care?"
―Kyle Katarn

AlexDougherty
01.11.2013 , 05:20 AM | #7
One of the Bounty Hunters in "The Empire Strikes Back" was a droid, it had achieved sentienceearned it's freedom, and had all the rights of humanoid. In the era of the films, if a Droid was freed, and not captured and reprogrammed(equivalent to enslavement), it had (by law) the rights of any sentient humanoid.

Don't know when this was introduced, but it was canon in the eighties.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

MilesTeg_cy
01.11.2013 , 05:49 AM | #8
Just a reminder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

For me, a robot is just a machine. If it acts on its own randomness it is just bec. you programmed it to be. Even the most complicated AI is a hand made tool with a purpose of serving mankind. If it doesn't serve to mankind it means that is only malfunctioning.
All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Frank Herbert

Darth_Precursor
01.11.2013 , 03:29 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Scutum View Post
the thought of a droid rebellion was discussed. Something like that would probably be pretty catastrophic.
Reminds me of Directive 7.
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

Ystig
01.11.2013 , 03:52 PM | #10
Even astromech droids are sapient, in the Star Wars universe. Sure, any sapient being is due the that which is inherently due to thinking persons.

Obviously, the empire would disagree.
War is to man what motherhood is to a woman. From a philosophical and doctrinal viewpoint, I do not believe in perpetual peace - Mussolini