Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bring back Mara?

strykerxd
01.09.2013 , 08:00 PM | #21
Callista is different, because she possessed a ship then someone willingly let her possess them and eventually in the fate of the jedi series she was valuable to the plot.coughAblelothcough

jaguarclaw
01.09.2013 , 08:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by strykerxd View Post
Callista is different, because she possessed a ship then someone willingly let her possess them and eventually in the fate of the jedi series she was valuable to the plot.coughAblelothcough
Still, though.
In SW, dead is USUALLY dead, but there are rare exceptions. Callista is one of them. It's not impossible, and I think would be justified.

annabethchase
01.09.2013 , 08:26 PM | #23
She didn't act unilaterally. I've read extensively on the writing process for the recent multi-author series and it's a team effort. Zahn was not on the team. In addition to initial outlines for the whole series designed by the whole writing team, there are ongoing discussions amongst them as well as editorial and content oversite by both Del Ray and Lucas Arts.

What Travvis has become is the "fall guy" for an unpopular decision. I'm sure RA Salvatore is glad she's come along to become the new whipping person. But by no means did they just get to kill characters on a whim.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

Kilikaa
01.09.2013 , 09:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
She didn't act unilaterally. I've read extensively on the writing process for the recent multi-author series and it's a team effort. Zahn was not on the team. In addition to initial outlines for the whole series designed by the whole writing team, there are ongoing discussions amongst them as well as editorial and content oversite by both Del Ray and Lucas Arts.

What Travvis has become is the "fall guy" for an unpopular decision. I'm sure RA Salvatore is glad she's come along to become the new whipping person. But by no means did they just get to kill characters on a whim.
KT may have not done it on a whim, but she still wrote a very poor death scene. Outside of her Commando novels, Traviss was not a very good SW author. She even did a poor job writing Jaina Solo in the Revelation novel. I am fine with Mara being dead. I am not fine with the way her death was handled. Mara deserved a more epic death. Zahn should have been consultated, as well. His input would have been very important considering Mara Jade was his character. KT is not just the "fall guy" for a unpopular decision. Her decision is hated because of how poorly it was handled.

jaguarclaw
01.09.2013 , 09:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post

Yeah, an unpopular decision that she admitted she came up with on her own, plugged for, and insisted to Lucasfilm that she write, that also fit into her own visible and unpopular biases. She's a "fall guy" like a guilty criminal is a "fall guy" - it was entirely her idea and her decision and her action.

I don't think Lucasfilm/Del Ray cares too much about keeping characters alive, from what I've read there never seems to have ever been much of a debate when they talk about the process of killing characters off, whether it was Chewie, Anakin, or Mara. Lucasfilm just kinda leaves the authors alone, as they know Lucas doesn't really care. The fact they were willing to accept what Traviss was pushing doesn't mean it was worth doing, necessarily.

And I never quite got why so many people hated RA Salvatore - the SW book series as a whole was getting so trite and the characters so unchanging by that point, something had to give. And Chewie was an expendable character at that point.

TalonVII
01.09.2013 , 09:50 PM | #26
As far as Mara Jade Skywalker coming back, no. It also gave the writers the reason with the Aboleth saga[as i call it] to have luke and his son bond even more. Which was nice. I actually enjoyed that a lot.

Far as Mara's death, not every death is epic, not every clash is going to be the fight of the titans. Was the fight and death anti-climatic? Yes, but you have to remember, it was very HUMAN. Look at any REAL fight, and I go to the words Jack Sparrow told Will Turner in the first Pirates movie.

"There's what a man can do, and what he will do". Jacen could of tried to fight honestly, and probably would of died, or he could of gone for the win and done something that Mara was not expecting. Remeber DARKSIDER AND SITH! In his situation I would of done the same exact thing and not even blinked about it.

No, mara did not need an epic death, she had a very realistic human fight and death, get over it guys. Stop with the whole fall girl for KT, and honestly, she does have a tad of bias when it comes to mandos since they were for the most part, her pet project, but nobody does a better gunfight than that lady.

Just like nobody does better space combat than Aaron Alliston.

IMO, everybody can take that hatred for her and stick it where the sun don't shine.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight

jaguarclaw
01.09.2013 , 10:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
As far as Mara Jade Skywalker coming back, no. It also gave the writers the reason with the Aboleth saga[as i call it]
I have no idea why you would call it that.
to have luke and his son bond even more. Which was nice. I actually enjoyed that a lot.
Well guess what: If Mara's brought back, none of that gets cancelled out.
Far as Mara's death, not every death is epic, not every clash is going to be the fight of the titans. Was the fight and death anti-climatic? Yes, but you have to remember, it was very HUMAN. Look at any REAL fight, and I go to the words Jack Sparrow told Will Turner in the first Pirates movie.

"There's what a man can do, and what he will do". Jacen could of tried to fight honestly, and probably would of died, or he could of gone for the win and done something that Mara was not expecting. Remeber DARKSIDER AND SITH!
Sure. It still sucked, though. Although my problem is more with the idea than the actual execution of the idea.
In his situation I would of done the same exact thing and not even blinked about it.
That's nice.
No, mara did not need an epic death, she had a very realistic human fight and death, get over it guys.
Because the prime selling factor and reason people like SW is realism and utilitarian, non-dramatic fights between good and evil.
Stop with the whole fall girl for KT,
I don't understand people's attachment to that damn term, as it's demonstrably incorrect.
and honestly, she does have a tad of bias when it comes to mandos since they were for the most part, her pet project,
Let's not kid ourselves: she's wildly biased. Anyone who reads her books can tell that. Read the FAQ thing I posted, she *********** hates them.
but nobody does a better gunfight than that lady.
Then she should've stuck to RC and left the Jedi alone.
IMO, everybody can take that hatred for her and stick it where the sun don't shine.
I don't hate Karen Traviss, but I don't think you have the right to tell me to shove up opinions up my *** just because I think she did a terrible job.
Because she did, and it unnecessarily lost SW a good character.
I don't see why you're so defensive on her behalf, but I guess not everyone can be polite.

jaguarclaw
01.09.2013 , 11:40 PM | #28
An interesting aside:
Zahn has gone on record saying that he would be OK with actually, no joke, really, no-fakeout-this-time bringing Thrawn back to life in an interview he did in 2007, if "circumstances demanded it", IE the galaxy needed a really damn good commander really *********** fast.
So Zahn is at least open to the idea of bringing characters back.

Wolfninjajedi
01.09.2013 , 11:44 PM | #29
I have a hard time seeing any characters that have died brought back...this isn't exactly DC or Marvel, where death means ****...and characters can just spring back up out of nowhere.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

jaguarclaw
01.09.2013 , 11:50 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I have a hard time seeing any characters that have died brought back...this isn't exactly DC or Marvel, where death means ****...and characters can just spring back up out of nowhere.
I know how you feel, but it's not like this is an entirely new or unprecedented thing though. it does happen in SW, albeit very rarely.
If it was done right...I don't see why it shouldn't be done.