Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My concern about hacking not getting addressed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
My concern about hacking not getting addressed
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FourPawnBenoni
01.09.2013 , 05:14 PM | #1
I would really like to see Bioware come out and make statement regarding hacking; such as "We're aware of some of the speed hacking that is occuring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their character deleted."

The reason why, is that there are so many new players due to F2P that many I've talked to are not interested in subbing for pvp because they tried it out and a lot have complained about "hacking". When I've talked about the issues in greater depth I've discovered that many times it wasn't a hack at all, but an ability that is working as intended (such as Guarded by the Force).

The problem though, is that they've seen so many complaints/YouTubes of hacking lately with no response there is a perception now that the war zones are full of hacking and it's turning them off.

Venlo
01.09.2013 , 05:25 PM | #2
F2Pers can only play a couple of games and I seriously doubt that your friends have seen A LOT of hackers, really.
want to sell:

FourPawnBenoni
01.09.2013 , 05:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Venlo View Post
F2Pers can only play a couple of games and I seriously doubt that your friends have seen A LOT of hackers, really.
That's EXACTLY my point. They aren't seeing much hacking, but since they are new to the game they are automatically assuming that some of the "funny" things they see are hacks because that's the perception and they don't have enough experience with the game to be able to distinguish.

RankorSSGS
01.09.2013 , 05:32 PM | #4
Started the game up in the past hour or so? The launcher now has a nice shiny warning stating exactly that they are indeed on the lookout for hackers etc. Made me LOL more than anything, but your wish for acknowledgement has been granted. Now we just have to see if they actually do anything.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion

FourPawnBenoni
01.09.2013 , 05:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RankorSSGS View Post
Started the game up in the past hour or so? The launcher now has a nice shiny warning stating exactly that they are indeed on the lookout for hackers etc. Made me LOL more than anything, but your wish for acknowledgement has been granted. Now we just have to see if they actually do anything.
Not today. Really? That is good news

Phillip_BW
01.09.2013 , 07:40 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by FourPawnBenoni View Post
I would really like to see Bioware come out and make statement regarding hacking; such as "We're aware of some of the speed hacking that is occuring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their character deleted."
Not exactly the same as you quoted, but we can say this:

"We're aware of the speed hacking that is occurring in the game; rest assured we are making adjustments to prevent it from continuing; furthermore anyone that gets caught using it will have their account suspended and/or banned."

Phillip Holmes
SWTOR Head of Security

symke
01.10.2013 , 02:23 AM | #7
This thread is marked as the one with official response, but when you click on the "first Bioware post" nothing happens as there is no such post.

Was it deleted? Did someone from BW say something they weren't supposed to, like promised to look into it?

bassfu
01.10.2013 , 02:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by symke View Post
This thread is marked as the one with official response, but when you click on the "first Bioware post" nothing happens as there is no such post.

Was it deleted? Did someone from BW say something they weren't supposed to, like promised to look into it?
Probably either a link to this or some variation on what the link says

demuss
01.10.2013 , 03:42 AM | #9
I agree that most of the time when someone claims to see another person hacking it's usually a false perception due to things such as speed buffs, elevation change lag, leap lag (when an enemy leaps then magically disappears for a couple seconds..love that one), or server lag in general (issues that should probably be addressed but probably never will). But what concerns me is the people who actually do hack are pretty much getting away with it. I'm not talking about blatant hacking but things such as minuscule changes in speed. I mean, on Prophecy of the Five you have a guy named Gingerz whom teleport hacks in every WZ, has a few threads and youtube vidoes proving he hacks, not to mention all the times he has probably been reported over the past few months since he started doing this, and I don't even think hes been banned yet (maybe). Personally, blatant hacking doesn't bother me and I even find it funny at times (The other day i got gingerz in an novare coast and he teleport hacked to all the nodes and capped em before the match even started), but when someone like this can obviously hack for for months at a time how does Bioware expect us do believe that they do anything about hacking that happens on a minuscule/hard to notice level? They say they "continually monitor for hacking" but obviously not that closely.

Glower
01.10.2013 , 06:53 AM | #10
Quote:
First BioWare Post
where is it??
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)