Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Devs/Mods: Make a Choice

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Devs/Mods: Make a Choice

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 04:15 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Invictusthetaru View Post
This actually isn't the case ( unless you are node guarding). With all the CC in this game, if you want to do the most damage while you are alive it is smartest to break hard stuns if they come at you first.

I would rather eat a flash bang and take 0 damage than eat a force stun and die.
Well it's situational, and I have been insta-breaking chokes lately to avoid smash building, but even Smash might not be so much of an issue if the Resolve issues was not so god-awful at the core of the mechanic. Same thing goes for bubble stun, "teams of stunlocking operatives", stun-range nerf, etc, etc..
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 04:18 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Nice constructive post, but you need some huge exaggeration with wildly inflammatory comments about how a particular class needs a gigantic nerf in order to hold the attention span here.

*Posting in here just so I can say I agree while I think most people will just agree and move on quietly.
Quit trolling Tech, you noobcake mcbabyface.... Does that work?

j/k

You screwed me up with the pic change....

Invictusthetaru
01.09.2013 , 04:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Well it's situational, and I have been insta-breaking chokes lately to avoid smash building, but even Smash might not be so much of an issue if the Resolve issues was not so god-awful at the core of the mechanic. Same thing goes for bubble stun, "teams of stunlocking operatives", stun-range nerf, etc, etc..
Yup I agree with you.

That's why I like specs like Deception assassin and gunnery merc because you can lower the time on your breaker by 30 seconds. May not seem like much but it helps you get out of sticky situations.

Specs like tactics vanguard and vigilance guardian / jugg should be able to aleviate some of this but they just need a SMALL touch up.
Invic- 55 Jugg Tongs-53 Gunslinger
Tongs- 55 Assassin Penné-50 Vanguard
Havesome- 55 Sentinel
iKite- 55 Sorc

Racter
01.09.2013 , 04:33 PM | #14
/signed

Bryanseven
01.09.2013 , 04:39 PM | #15
/signed

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 04:42 PM | #16
See my thing is, the PvP in this game always needed to be more like the MMO version of Street Fighter.

People in the know, understand the differences between a Ryu v Ken v Akuma v Dan (lol, Dan is like the Jar-Jar of SF though). Then they had toons like Guile & Sagat that were range masters, and the grapplers. It then came down to skill and "burst" (remember when the stars came out after consecutive hard attacks?).

CC in this game eliminates that to a degree, but you can't get rid of it, so fix resolve decay..

After that, you can balance classes.

And I mean with a scalpel, not a guillotine.... *cough 1.2/1.5 *cough

Pvtcarnage
01.09.2013 , 04:53 PM | #17
I don't see the issue here at all and I'm fine with current system. I like the complexity CC and resolve adds to game play. If your getting stun locked by 2 people all you need is a team mate to CC/knock back them. And like you said it's not common to remove features, but a lot of whats being suggested would make them less useful and have the same overall effect of dumbing down game play to a more simple form which to me would be a shame.
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 05:08 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
I don't see the issue here at all and I'm fine with current system. I like the complexity CC and resolve adds to game play. If your getting stun locked by 2 people all you need is a team mate to CC/knock back them. And like you said it's not common to remove features, but a lot of whats being suggested would make them less useful and have the same overall effect of dumbing down game play to a more simple form which to me would be a shame.
CC in itself dumbs down the gameplay IMO...

CC is rarely used situationally(except for HB maybe). And with the move "not to punish overlapping stuns", it's going off all over the place; all the time. It's hard to worry about a teammate getting stunlocked, when you got a Smasher in your face that just rooted you.

It is almost an "oh ****" button and takes skill out of the game. While I would fully admit that is somewhat of a generalization, the whole point of PvP is to put the control in the players own hands whether its offense or defense, outnumbered or have an advantage. CC is more of a "I can't stop you, so stop moving for awhile" type of move. Most PvP games don't have that, even if they are objective based...

DarthOvertone
01.09.2013 , 05:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
The CC in this game is WAY too strong/abundant... Always has been. Every class shouldn't have two or three stuns, every class shouldn't have multiple roots, etc, etc. It's too late... They have them now. So what to do?
BW just seems to have a jones for CC. Not sure why, but the Devs really think the existence of massive amounts of CC make PvP super fun. The Devs seem to want CC to play a strategic and tactical role in PvP encounters. Yet as the system is currently designed, CC is simply being spammed for the most part without penalty and without any real tactical consideration.

The main problem is simple. The CC in this game is ubiquitous. The counters to CC are not. So I think BW could make two relatively simple changes/additions to combat/gameplay that would make CC more tactical and fun (as intended), without even having to mess with the Resolve mechanic. My suggestions:

- Add a craftable Anti-CC consumable (to counter the existence of CC consumables like grenades)
- Reset our CC Breaker when we die.

Start with those two changes and then consider lowering the cooldown on everyone's CC breaker.

What the Devs must understand is simply this...being grey-bar CC'd is unfun. Not being able to control your toon in any PvP environment is unfun. Give players options. Give them choices. The majority of players don't mind dying if they can go down fighting. Being repeatedly grey-barred with a loss of toon control is not only lame, it's bad game design. It's the only thing related to combat in this game that I don't really like.
Alphabolt - Alphanoob - Alphawood - Garbage S1 Champion
The Bastion - #1 Stronk PvP Server
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

Totaltrash
01.09.2013 , 05:21 PM | #20
Nice post, and I agree.

Were you around when we asked for changes to resolve, much like what you posted today?
Since then EAware gave us Resolve 1.4. based on their "metics", which totally ignored everything the players had suggested.

So, my guess is that nobody in charge will read it, respond to it or act upon it.
And the next changes will be the opposite of what we ask for.