Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Devs/Mods: Make a Choice

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Devs/Mods: Make a Choice

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 02:46 PM | #1
As I look at these airwaves daily, I always see stuff popping up like "nerf this", "buff that", etc, etc. While I try to contribute constructively most of the time, many get frustrated enough with the plight of PvP that constructive things are like needles in a haystack, and the real issue gets masked in a "vortex of horsecrap"(courtesy of Bob Brenly). Simply put, I am requesting this:

Make a change in the resolve mechanic/CC [EDIT]and balance some classes[/EDIT] first, before your do any rebalancing.
Whether it's bubble stun, "wrecking ball" maras, "chainstunning/stunlock", OPERATIVES(!), or CC in general, the Resolve mechanic needs to be addressed, again. And, if applied correctly, most of this might actually go away...

This is how I see it (a short history of SWTOR):
Operatives and others were adjusted because of "stunlocking"/having too much CC- Instead adjusting the CC affect, you nerf the DPS. (?)

People still complained about "stunlocking"- You adjust more DPS and/or change or downright remove procs in some cases. Changing entire playstyles/specs. (?)

Complaints about Maras/Sents ensued. Instead of adjusting them, you adjust the entire system to be more "cc friendly" to be able to "stop" them. (?)

Pigeon-hole classes into certain specs/ACs because of the above actions (See bubble stun & JK/SW (smash)populations). (?)

The CC in this game is WAY too strong/abundant... Always has been. Every class shouldn't have two or three stuns, every class shouldn't have multiple roots, etc, etc. It's too late... They have them now. So what to do?

Since "reverting" is rarely, if ever, done, I won't suggest reverting the elimination of "penalization" for overlapping stuns/cc. Instead I say:

Change the rate of decay of the resolve timer: While in-combat the rate should be slower than it currently is. Far too often the usefulness of full Resolve, is minor compared to the CC available in a WZ. The gap needs to be closed. Not a ton, but some...

Change when the resolve decay is actually active: Any switch to out-of-combat should STOP any resolve decay. This would eliminate any "stun, stun, stun, dead",........ respawn,.........."stun, stun, stun, dead" routine

Adjust classes in the new system: Ops, Merc, Sorc and for god's sake, keep the burst(Smash) in the game. Just give other classes the means to do it as well. That is what makes WZ's dynamic, Situational Burst, not CC's.

[EDIT] I also should explain what I mean by "situational burst". Prior to 1.2, situational burst was in the form of Relics/Adrenals. While the gap between not having them and having them was large, they did make WZ more dynamic because you had a "surprise up your sleeve." It meant that ANY class could solo a node, whether take, defend, or lose. CC and this nerf now almost makes that impossible (really the ONLY reason it happens now is due to someone being undergeared). That type of stuff enabled static objectives to change hands more frequently, and was 100% player controlled. Maps like VS didn't need a "wall" before the relic/adrenal nerf. I attributed that to the situational burst nerf...

I understand why you nerfed it. BioChem/Relic Stats(gear). But there needs to be some form of situational burst in the game.. Smash, while simplified, is something I would call Situational Burst. Whether it happens too often can be debated, but the actual numbers it puts up is about where everyone needs to be. The problem though is that only 1 class has that kind of situational burst, bad, bad, bad.

To have the burst to be able to instantly change the tide of a WZ, or knowing when/how to counter it to prevent the tide change is what makes PvP exciting, and (anecdotally) is why pre-1.2 PvP was "better". Again, CC, in it's current form, goes against this notion...[/EDIT]

[EDIT]Make Roots/Snares respect Full Resolve, but not increase timers or Resolve QTY in any other situation: Roots/Snares should not be an option against a person with full resolve.[/EDIT]

I know this will probably end up going by the wayside, but as I was making my change suggestion for Consu/Inquiz to have a viable alternative to bubble stun, I came to the realization that CC has A TON to do with the "nerf this"; "buff that" that the PvP forum is.

You really can't balance any of the classes unless this is more reasonable first.

TL;DR
Please change resolve, or at least re-examine it...

PS: Please sign or bump, if you think this needs to happen ASAP... Part of the "vortex of horsecap" is the fact that people rather argue over what's OP'd, than keeping a thread like this one going. Thanks in advance....
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

TUXs
01.09.2013 , 03:30 PM | #2
I LOVE this post!!! I completely agree.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Drazzen
01.09.2013 , 03:38 PM | #3
My suggestion? Make the player immune to CC for 2 seconds after using a breaker.

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 03:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Drazzen View Post
My suggestion? Make the player immune to CC for 2 seconds after using a breaker.
I am not trying to disregard your suggestion, but you should be using your CC breaker at full resolve anyway...

There needs to be a global change first,.... then examine those types of issues..

Technohic
01.09.2013 , 03:56 PM | #5
Nice constructive post, but you need some huge exaggeration with wildly inflammatory comments about how a particular class needs a gigantic nerf in order to hold the attention span here.

*Posting in here just so I can say I agree while I think most people will just agree and move on quietly.

Drazzen
01.09.2013 , 04:08 PM | #6
I agree. but if it's a sleep capper, or i'm stun locked. I'm going to use it. especially if I'm holding the huttball and making a push, or they are going to capture a node and then just force lift me.

Invictusthetaru
01.09.2013 , 04:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
I am not trying to disregard your suggestion, but you should be using your CC breaker at full resolve anyway...

There needs to be a global change first,.... then examine those types of issues..
This actually isn't the case ( unless you are node guarding). With all the CC in this game, if you want to do the most damage while you are alive it is smartest to break hard stuns if they come at you first.

I would rather eat a flash bang and take 0 damage than eat a force stun and die.
Invic- 55 Jugg Tongs-53 Gunslinger
Tongs- 55 Assassin Penné-50 Vanguard
Havesome- 55 Sentinel
iKite- 55 Sorc

cashogy
01.09.2013 , 04:10 PM | #8
I agree. but if it's a sleep capper, or i'm stun locked. I'm going to use it. especially if I'm holding the huttball and making a push, or they are going to capture a node and then just force lift me.
obviously when to use your CC break is highly situational. that is not the issue here.

resolve needs to be reworked. plain and simple. there are too many forms of hard/soft CC, and not enough recourse for avoiding them

L-RANDLE
01.09.2013 , 04:11 PM | #9
Or low HP, and need to pass or prevent a cap... I agree too.

Invictusthetaru
01.09.2013 , 04:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
obviously when to use your CC break is highly situational. that is not the issue here.

resolve needs to be reworked. plain and simple. there are too many forms of hard/soft CC, and not enough recourse for avoiding them
and I agree with this and the OP.
Invic- 55 Jugg Tongs-53 Gunslinger
Tongs- 55 Assassin Penné-50 Vanguard
Havesome- 55 Sentinel
iKite- 55 Sorc