Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Degradation of force lightning and coming back to the light side concepts in EU.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Degradation of force lightning and coming back to the light side concepts in EU.

Macetheace's Avatar


Macetheace
01.08.2013 , 10:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post


I agree with you about Force lightning, though. Especially, I think it shouldn't be a combat ability. It is a way to kill people painfully, because you want to see them suffer. (The Emperor could have snapped Luke's neck, if he wanted him to die. But he wanted him to suffer.)
I especially don't like the lightning-insta-kills the Inquisitor in this game does in cutscenes.
not necessarily, the force user can vary the intensity of the lightning, this much is clear - for e.g 'dooku/sidious can make it powerful enough to throw you across the room while burning, or makeit painful and long, or the intensity high enough to kill, like when Mace reflects the lightning back at Sidious, he is doing something we have not been given an explanation for, but that was damaging Sidious quickly.

Furhtmore, lightning can be conducted remmber, lightning rods etc, why can't jedi trained in this knowledge know how to do so either with thier hands (Yoda) or with a lightsaber?


i do agree it shouldn't be something easily done , Obi Wan almsot too casually mangaes to attract the lightning of Dooku in episode 3...however i am more inclined to suspect, this is a force technique and lightsaber modificaiton working in tandem that YOda tuaght them.

As i mentioned earlier, the jedi at that time had almost no working knowledge of the Sith or the dark side, , but YOda having been alive in the last confrontation would know extensively especially since he was one of the strongest jedi about.

This epxplains how force ligthning can be used as an ability in-game. and yes your inquistor would be able to insta kill with a lightning zap if it was hiis intention. as for it not being portrayed aspowerful enough in-game because they didnt make it an instant kill ability, remember being shot by a laser or a bullet/laser is not an instant kill in the game, tho it is irl, and in the movies, yosimilarly - conversations always display those actions could view force lightening

Elementlord's Avatar


Elementlord
01.09.2013 , 01:48 AM | #12
I think this happened as a result of almost every single piece of EU lore trying to be "iconic" . SWTOR included, they diminished everything unique about the movie characters because "HEY GUYS LOOK THIS HAPPENED IN THE MOVIES AND IT HAPPENS HERE TOO ARE WE STAR WARS YET?" .

Macetheace's Avatar


Macetheace
01.09.2013 , 06:32 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Elementlord View Post
I think this happened as a result of almost every single piece of EU lore trying to be "iconic" . SWTOR included, they diminished everything unique about the movie characters because "HEY GUYS LOOK THIS HAPPENED IN THE MOVIES AND IT HAPPENS HERE TOO ARE WE STAR WARS YET?" .
shortest explanation, but, QFT

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
01.09.2013 , 12:05 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Elementlord View Post
I think this happened as a result of almost every single piece of EU lore trying to be "iconic" . SWTOR included, they diminished everything unique about the movie characters because "HEY GUYS LOOK THIS HAPPENED IN THE MOVIES AND IT HAPPENS HERE TOO ARE WE STAR WARS YET?" .
That's one reason. Another is that untalented and unoriginal writers cannot make it attractive by great storytelling so they get attention by crapping on OT. For example they make their characters more powerful than the most powerful in the films or use the unique concepts from the films and make them common. Take a look at the Force Unleashed crap (imo the worst SW game ever made) where this random moron (Starkiller) beats both Vader and Sidious. It is insulting to OT and its characters. Or the ridiculous cloning of Emperor in Dark Empire. Or equally ridiculous almighty 1000 years old Sith Emperor in SWTOR.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.09.2013 , 12:07 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
That's one reason. Another is that untalented and unoriginal writers cannot make it attractive by great storytelling so they get attention by crapping on OT. For example they make their characters more powerful than the most powerful in the films or use the unique concepts from the films and make them common. Take a look at the Force Unleashed crap where this random moron (Starkiller) beats both Vader and Sidious. It is insulting to OT and its characters. Or the ridiculous cloning of Emperor in Dark Empire. Or equally ridiculous almighty 1000 years old Sith Emperor in SWTOR.
Galen never fought Sidious, and he won by the skin of his teeth against Vader. The games aren't canon, the books however are which are much more tame.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
01.09.2013 , 01:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Galen never fought Sidious
I admit I was trying erase my memory of that dumb game but I am pretty sure you fight and defeat Sidious. Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVUzzKtwxeY
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.09.2013 , 01:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I admit I was trying erase my memory of that dumb game but I am pretty sure you fight and defeat Sidious. Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVUzzKtwxeY
Yes...in the game, in the novel(which is canon) he doesn't.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
01.09.2013 , 02:26 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Yes...in the game, in the novel(which is canon) he doesn't.
Novels aren't automatically canon. Well you might want to familiarize yourself with official Star Wars canon rules set by Lucas Licensing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon...nuity_database

Video games and novels go under the same level of canon. So novels are no more canon than video games.

Side note: Oh that novel was written by Sean Williams. It explains all now. No wonder it is full of crap. Out of the four SWTOR era novels, his Fatal Alliance was by far the worse and filled with ridiculous stuff.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.09.2013 , 03:02 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
Novels aren't automatically canon. Well you might want to familiarize yourself with official Star Wars canon rules set by Lucas Licensing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon...nuity_database

Video games and novels go under the same level of canon. So novels are no more canon than video games.

Side note: Oh that novel was written by Sean Williams. It explains all now. No wonder it is full of crap. Out of the four SWTOR era novels, his Fatal Alliance was by far the worse and filled with ridiculous stuff.
The games are not canon, the only things that are canon in the games are the cutscenes. The part where you fight the Emperor, is gameplay not canon...in the novel(which is the canon as the novel comes out before the game) he didn't fight Palpatine. Cutscenes are the only things, that are canon in games.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
01.09.2013 , 05:00 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The games are not canon, the only things that are canon in the games are the cutscenes. The part where you fight the Emperor, is gameplay not canon...in the novel(which is the canon as the novel comes out before the game) he didn't fight Palpatine. Cutscenes are the only things, that are canon in games.
The video I provided earlier includes a final cut-scene which clearly indicates that he have fought and defeated the Emperor. Here is another video that has no gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3T2Z-1spT8

I am not going to discuss Force Unsealed any more because it just brings back the bad memories.

Now speaking generally. Cut-scenes or not, if the game forces you to fight someone then the details of the fight are player-specific and varies (not canon) BUT the fact that there is a fight makes it a part of the game storyline. And the story of the games have the same canon weight as the novels.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.