Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TPS for Guardian/Jugg tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
TPS for Guardian/Jugg tanks

Psyclic
01.03.2013 , 07:52 PM | #1
Had a small break over the Christmas/New Year period from raiding and I finally got my Shadow tank to 50. I jumped back into an EC HM last night and I forgot how hard I had to work for threat on my Guardian.
Current stats are
31/51/52 with 25.2k health
Bonus damage is at 405.6

I am currently tanking EC NiM 3/4 with my co-tank that is a Shadow.

I did a fairly long session on my ops dummy to see what my TPS was and it was around 2.1k for a 5min parse with no power adrenal. This was with torparse and this number seem low, that being said I have no idea what it *should* be but I am guessing if I have our Sent whaling on the boss doing 1.8-2.2k DPS sustained in the fight and rest of the raid not far off this (~100-400 DPS lower). I am aware that tank swaps/taunts assist in pushing up threat.
On a torparse from a EC HM I am doing about 1.5k TPS sustained over the fights

Does anyone have any data on where our TPS *should* be at? I'll happily sit on my ship and work on eeking out every drop of threat I can by refining my pull rotation and prioritization.

Also I am still using my 26 Guardian hilt, is it wiser to wait for the DG main hand to finally come my way or should I get the 27 might hilt crafted as an interim solution?
<Reverence> Dalborra
Psyclic | Saerah | Seelah | Zi'Lanna | Chartre | Vires
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

Ephesia
01.04.2013 , 11:27 AM | #2
about the hit, you will have no problems with just getting the 27 hilt, the endurance loss really doesn't matter and with guardians being weaker overall in terms of dps in comparison to other tank classes the additional strength will help so it's not a wasted investment. I use 27 might hilt, I am happy, no problems.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

FlavaBizkit
01.06.2013 , 09:11 PM | #3
i know a couple jugs/guardians pop accuracy adrenals to guarantee their white abilities hit on their opening.
Officer of Undercon
Drooly | Sentinel Rishy | Vanguard Dennik | Scoundrel
Rehabilitated | Juggernaut (The New) Fatedd | Mercenary

TwistedTony
01.07.2013 , 12:22 AM | #4
my level 17 sin holds better threat than my 50 columi/rakata geared tank jug
The Bastion - Descension
Rexas - Juggernaut, Predatus - Marauder, Malitus - Assassin
Vigilax - Guardian

Psyclic
01.07.2013 , 07:34 PM | #5
I got the Might Hilt made and equipped now and am heading back to normal raiding schedule tomorrow (booooo long maint tonight) so I will see how it all goes. It is difficult on the dummies as they dont hit back so no riposte and I get focus starved
I would love to see a change made to GS/CB to drop the AOE affect and add a 10% threat boost to all non taunting abilities.
Hopefully RotHC will give us some additional threat.
<Reverence> Dalborra
Psyclic | Saerah | Seelah | Zi'Lanna | Chartre | Vires
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

leto_cleon
01.08.2013 , 01:42 AM | #6
Hmm... in terms of threat generation, one of the best things to do is taunt at >3m. This increases your current threat by 130%. If you taunt at melee range, your threat will only go up by 110%.

Here is an example of a parse on Toth and Zorn HM:

286s into the Toth and Zorn Fight, (final boss switch)
Total threat = 1,005,219
Threat per second = 3515.

[use taunt at >3m]

287s into the Toth and Zorn Fight,
Total threat = 1,334,058
Threat per second = 4648.

Overall TPS - 4344

As the fight progresses the amount of threat generated every 15s from taunt also increases. I have yet to see a DPS hit for 300k in 2s

leegrisham
01.09.2013 , 11:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by leto_cleon View Post
Hmm... in terms of threat generation, one of the best things to do is taunt at >3m. This increases your current threat by 130%. If you taunt at melee range, your threat will only go up by 110%.

Here is an example of a parse on Toth and Zorn HM:

286s into the Toth and Zorn Fight, (final boss switch)
Total threat = 1,005,219
Threat per second = 3515.

[use taunt at >3m]

287s into the Toth and Zorn Fight,
Total threat = 1,334,058
Threat per second = 4648.

Overall TPS - 4344

As the fight progresses the amount of threat generated every 15s from taunt also increases. I have yet to see a DPS hit for 300k in 2s
This. All except for a taunt from any range increases your threat by 130. The devs have confirmed that taunts increase threat by 130, range is not a factor. You're overall damage is pretty irrelevant since any good DPS will out threat you most any fight and especially on openings, taunts are your best friend for holding agro.

Kitru
01.09.2013 , 12:08 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by leegrisham View Post
This. All except for a taunt from any range increases your threat by 130. The devs have confirmed that taunts increase threat by 130, range is not a factor.
I'm kinda curious about this because a lot of testing was done that demonstrate that this simply wasn't true. The only comment that I can recall from the devs concerning taunts was they they do increase your threat to the amount needed to pull aggro. They did not, however, actually say how much threat was increased by, or comment on it being independent of range. I'd be curious to see you link this statement because my experience *and* my research/knowledge base would contend that range does indeed matter.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Darth_Dreselus
01.09.2013 , 12:51 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by leegrisham View Post
This. All except for a taunt from any range increases your threat by 130. The devs have confirmed that taunts increase threat by 130, range is not a factor. You're overall damage is pretty irrelevant since any good DPS will out threat you most any fight and especially on openings, taunts are your best friend for holding agro.
That is simply not true.

http://www.torparse.com/a/46886

Fight 1 = taunt at leap distance (under 2m, in fact under 1m) 110%
Fight 2 = fail, didn't taunt
Fight 3 = taunt at 3m 130%
Fight 4 = taunt at 5m 130%

Every taunt also gives you cca 2 threat extra lol, can try it by taunting a target as a way of starting a fight and then look at log, it generates 2 threat.

it is very much possible that range is not intended to be an issue but it clearly is.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

leegrisham
01.09.2013 , 02:10 PM | #10
I have looked back through all the documents where I thought it was and I can't find it so either I made it up or I just haven't located the proper document first. Maybe I saw this statement:

Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
they do increase your threat to the amount needed to pull aggro.
and inferred 130 since that is the maximum value required to pull off any tank. Not really sure.

Since I don't have any concrete evidence to support the claim I'll just concede to say,

since any good DPS will out threat you most any fight and especially on openings, taunts are your best friend for holding agro.