Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Phantom and Spymaster gear changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cave_Dweller
01.08.2013 , 08:46 PM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by PaladinAlane View Post
I like the changes....

...for the chance to win something.

----

TLDR version: F*#k you, I got mine.
FTFY

5char

Karaiblis
01.08.2013 , 08:46 PM | #582
A cat suit is supposed to look painted on, a spy suit is traditionally a cat suite. If you want hideous gear with all kinds of gender erasing crap glued on it, try every single other piece of gear in the whole darn game. These were the only decent pieces without. There was no need to change them to look like a pack cover artist rendition, it's a rendition. Satele looks hot in the artist rendition too, but in game she wears hoodrat black lip liner, has baggy wrinkles, and has gained 40lbs. An artist rendition is not proof of what gear will look like, that's what the character preview window is for. And yes we gambled, of course we gambled, that is the way BW set the system up to work, gamble to get the pieces you want. You dont gamble that they will stay the pieces you want after investing all the cash to get them. If they don't want to support their own system, they shouldn't have made such a predatory system in the first place.
Passion Strength Power Victory Freedom
Kovrai Ebon Hawk Rysari

Malderak
01.08.2013 , 08:49 PM | #583
Quote: Originally Posted by Vorna View Post
So as is the norm, BioWare has done something incredibly stupid that any sane developer would have looked at an realized was incredibly stupid and quickly would have come up with a different solution. Like the Malavai Quinn romance. The changes to expertise. The changes to resolve. Getting rid of the large amount of moddables and color match to chest in beta. Buffing derpsmash. The list goes on, and the cartel pack adaptive armor debacle is now added to it.

I really don't get it, the devs know we hate two things above all about the ugly armor they keep throwing at us.

1. Hoods.

2. Crazy things glued on the armor, usually at the shoulders.

And yet, that's what they added to these armor sets for the most part. I like to imagine the brainstorming sessions the devs have when they come up with this stuff:

"Hey, you know that armor Jadus wears that we don't really have an attractive custom version of in game for SIs to wear, and yet we know they want without stripes or bronze tubes and pink accents- Let's give it to them, except, LET'S MAKE IT UGLIER, add a hood they adore so much, the mummy shoulders... and damn, it needs something else.... I KNOW, antenna on the gloves! Perfect!"

"I was thinking we should give them a JC styled set, maybe something nice and simple with no crazy shoulders or hoods or strange accessories, maybe just a nice robe with some gold accents. But then, IS IT REALLY a JC inspired look without an ugly hood and inexplicably stupid shoulders? I THINK NOT!"

Essentially, every change was awful with maybe the exception of the collar on the trailblazer (the shoulder is inexplicable and stupid), and they couldn't even improve the whole set, the changes to the trailblazer boots ruined one of the nicest and sleekest boots they've added.

Any sane developer would have realized that people wanted the items they got in game, they used those items, they designed outfits around those items, and wouldn't want them to randomly change. A sane developer wouldn't have changed them. A sane developer would have apologized for the minor fail at advertising something that wasn't exactly as it was advertised and offered the "corrected" sets as sets players could buy in the 'Equipment' section and discounted them for a few weeks for the players that wanted them and bought packs for them only to be let down. They could then correct the advertising image to what was actually in the pack, and everyone would be happy.

But no, this is BioWare. I hope BioWare does the right thing NOW though, the thing I described in the above paragraph.
it's very sad and bodes quite ill for the future of the game.

I mean, this is basic common sense: if they show so much incompetence and mess up this badly on something that should be so obvious, how are they ever going to get the difficult stuff right?

winterjane
01.08.2013 , 08:52 PM | #584
I am bewildered by the people saying "Look, it's your fault for buying Cartel items, even if you bought them on the GTN and so only saw the item preview." No one makes anyone buy Cartel items, but BW certainly WANT us to. They want our money. And they also want an in-game economy to flourish. Which means showing us some consideration, unless they are confident new buyers are going to be pouring in every month. Unless you are confident your company can **** money, it's quite a good idea not to **** on your customers.

Is the suggestion that no one should buy anything?

I think what's been coming over in several threads is, yes, BW can change the appearance and performance of anything they darn well please, whenever it pleases them. A separate question for them to consider is: is that good practice? Good marketing? Is it likely to persuade people to buy more stuff/have confidence in the game economy if they keep doing it due to simple mistakes?
"If men had postponed the search for knowledge and beauty until they were secure, the search would never have begun. - C.S. Lewis

RenegadeClone
01.08.2013 , 08:54 PM | #585
Quote: Originally Posted by Vorna View Post
So as is the norm, BioWare has done something incredibly stupid that any sane developer would have looked at an realized was incredibly stupid and quickly would have come up with a different solution. Like the Malavai Quinn romance. The changes to expertise. The changes to resolve. Getting rid of the large amount of moddables and color match to chest in beta. Buffing derpsmash. The list goes on, and the cartel pack adaptive armor debacle is now added to it.

I really don't get it, the devs know we hate two things above all about the ugly armor they keep throwing at us.

1. Hoods.

2. Crazy things glued on the armor, usually at the shoulders.

And yet, that's what they added to these armor sets for the most part. I like to imagine the brainstorming sessions the devs have when they come up with this stuff:

"Hey, you know that armor Jadus wears that we don't really have an attractive custom version of in game for SIs to wear, and yet we know they want without stripes or bronze tubes and pink accents- Let's give it to them, except, LET'S MAKE IT UGLIER, add a hood they adore so much, the mummy shoulders... and damn, it needs something else.... I KNOW, antenna on the gloves! Perfect!"

"I was thinking we should give them a JC styled set, maybe something nice and simple with no crazy shoulders or hoods or strange accessories, maybe just a nice robe with some gold accents. But then, IS IT REALLY a JC inspired look without an ugly hood and inexplicably stupid shoulders? I THINK NOT!"

Essentially, every change was awful with maybe the exception of the collar on the trailblazer (the shoulder is inexplicable and stupid), and they couldn't even improve the whole set, the changes to the trailblazer boots ruined one of the nicest and sleekest boots they've added.

Any sane developer would have realized that people wanted the items they got in game, they used those items, they designed outfits around those items, and wouldn't want them to randomly change. A sane developer wouldn't have changed them. A sane developer would have apologized for the minor fail at advertising something that wasn't exactly as it was advertised and offered the "corrected" sets as sets players could buy in the 'Equipment' section and discounted them for a few weeks for the players that wanted them and bought packs for them only to be let down. They could then correct the advertising image to what was actually in the pack, and everyone would be happy.

But no, this is BioWare. I hope BioWare does the right thing NOW though, the thing I described in the above paragraph.
Exactly - that would have been the sensible, fair thing to do. Thanks again for ruining a game I have enjoyed for over a year Bioware!

PifferPuff
01.08.2013 , 08:57 PM | #586
I think it's story time. Don't you?

So... Let me tell you all a short little story - that I'm sure many of you can relate to.

When the Cartel Market first opened and all the cool 'n' interesting gear started popping out of those boxes, it was a little like Christmas. We would open them up snd see what's inside. Some things we would keep, some we would give away, and some we would place on the GTN with hopes that they would find a good home. One player somewhere got a Spymaster chest piece, looked at it, mused for a moment, and finally relinquished it to the GTN abyss for 600K creds. Another player, in a similar situation discovered the Spymaster leggings. S/he too decided that another player might be happy wearing them. So s/he put it on the GTN for 300K.

Later that day, I happened upon the GTN (with its new preview function in all its glory ) and found these two items, and bought them straight away. They made me happy. "This is what my Shadow was missing," I thought to myself. Wearing these two items along with the Cevin event Tusken boots and BH gloves, made me feel and look as though I were in Haseo-kun's Xth-form from .hack//G.U. Vol.3. Not exact mind you, but close enough. It was a, "OMG THIS IS SOOO AWESOME" moment. This is what end game gear should look like! Glowing blue core in my lightsaber hilt. Glowing blue etched effect in my bracelets. Suited in a black on white form-fitting body suit that almost screamed futuristic, technologique, methodic, maniacal ... AWESOMENESS. Oh yeah! Bring on NiM EC and 16man HM TFB. I'm totally gonna tank that up in this. Mwahaha..lol...

Fast-forward to last night.

After noticing that there was a black version of this awesome set, I started thinking on changing the shell of my DPS 2nd spec gear. So, at the eleventh hour, I login and purchase the Phantom chest piece off of the GTN for over 200K and change. I immediately fell in love. This is perfect! I immediately ripped the mods and augment from my previous piece, MK-6 aug slotted my Phantom up, threw in the mods... "Notice: The server will be shutting down in 15 minutes..." message flashed on my screen. "and I so wanted to try out her new look too. Oh well. No biggie," I thought to myself. "There's always tomorrow."

I took one last look in the preview screen of my DPS gear, and exclaimed, "Awesome, I'll tweek this tomorrow and run some WZs to try it out and look good while doing so! Heeheehee.." well tomorrow's another day, and I'm off to bed. Good night toon-chan. As I look at my toon from the character select screen, I think to myself, "Funny how they sometimes stare at you through the screen like they want you to play with them some more, or talk to them and tell them that it'll be all right. That, even though Kephes will mess you up with BotM, or the Rancors in KP will treat you like a ragdoll, you always seem to come bsck to me in one piece. Daijyoubu na~ toon-chan. There's always tomorrow."

Tomorrow came. And toon-chan was ...different. I asked her, "what are you wearing? That's not what I put on you last night." She just stared at me through the character select screen - hoping that I would tell her some comforting words again. A tear rolled down my cheek as I realized I couldn't squeeze a syllable. "I'm sorry toon-chan." i don't know what to do... I can't play with you today.

Maybe if I come here on these forums and hope.... Maybe your makers can fix you...

BobaScott
01.08.2013 , 09:11 PM | #587
The "you should have come to the forums and read the dev tracker feed to find out what was going on and not wasted that time playing a game" argument reminds me of....

Prosser: But the plans were on display.
Arthur Dent: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar.
Prosser: That's the display department.
Arthur Dent: With a torch.
Prosser: The lights had probably gone.
Arthur Dent: So had the stairs.
Prosser: But you did see the notice, didn't you?
Arthur Dent: Oh, yes. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying "Beware of the Leopard." Ever thought of going into advertising?

Or, to sum up in a run-on -
If I am playing the game, see someone with a really nice armour set and find out it is called spymaster and spend time, real money and credits to get it, mod it with augments and rip end game mods to fit it only to have it ruined in a patch and then be told I should have been here all along to know it may or may not at some point possibly be "fixed", it is all my own fault?

Johnnykat
01.08.2013 , 09:17 PM | #588
I can understand the negative feedback on the stealth fixes to these cartel costume pieces. However, I am REALLY digging the fix to the Smuggler gear...and to a greater extent all the changes make sense and look good. Well, except the Phantom Stealth Headgear should have an option of hood (shoulder pads) or no hood (shoulder pads).

I spent a lot coins just now buying a lot of the new pieces, so if you roll this back I think you will have another round of backlashes. PLEASE let us keep the new/fixed items if we can. Thanks!
Everyday I'm smugglin'.

Mindwreck
01.08.2013 , 09:22 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by Beranzen View Post
I can understand some of the anger but constantly insulting the devs isnt really helping anyhthing, and quite likely makes them more prone to ignore a legitimate complaint. Before you say it it's not their job to troll thru the muck to find the rose so to speak. Say what you need to say without the insults, just makes you look bad, and doesnt help your cause, whatever it may be at all.
OK general, how's this, "I love you devs, you are so awesome, I love everything you do. BTW per chance, whenever you get spare time can you give me my old looking armor back, no big hurry." You think this approach works chief? They messed this one up real bad, and what your going to see is a real bad response.

Joesixxpack
01.08.2013 , 09:24 PM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamLKvist View Post
You're speaking for yourself and a select few in the forum.

I disagree with your post.
So are you, and I disagree with yours.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE