Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Harbinger

SturmUndSterne
01.08.2013 , 01:58 PM | #1
I don't know who is going to read this in the hierarchy that is EA/Bioware these days.

It's high time that the issues with the Harbinger server are addressed. We are the only PvE west coast server, and as such, have the majority of the traffic west of the Mississippi River in North America. Furthermore, most of the PvE APAC community is rerolling here due to the dead Australian servers, and this doesn't even begin to get into the South Americans that play here.

Let me state near the beginning that I love the vibrant, entertaining Harbinger community. We're (mostly) good folks, with guilds and groups for pretty much all content at any time of the day.

The issue, BW, is the fact that the Harbinger server, as it stands, is horrifically unstable. Every single time a new instance of an op or flashpoint spawns, there's a 1-2 second delay/lagspike. This delay only takes place on our side - the mobs and clientside activity still occurs normally. This may not seem like much, but 2 seconds is enough to get wiped in an op if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time - Overload may pop an entire HMEC run into the mines due to nothing showing up to interrupt, for example.

We have, in the past two to three months, had more than one rollback (unannounced) and several server crashes, in addition to the constant fleet lag and responsiveness delay that's only gotten worse in the past two months.

This last problem is most significant. The server is, flat-out, overloaded during peak hours and on weekends. It's nearly impossible to do any significant content during these times. I know some people will blame this on my PC, but when seven people in a raid all say "lagspike?" at the same time, the problem isn't on the end users.

I ask you, BW, to consider solutions to the Harbinger problem. Opening a new PvE West server would be the best long-term solution, but ONLY if you allow server transfers. Other options, such as locking Harbinger for new accounts or not allowing F2P access are shortsighted at best when it comes to the overall community. There must be an idea I haven't considered here, but 90% of the players with whom I speak on a daily basis uniformly say "Something needs to be done" ... and it's your job, BW, to figure out what.

I'm not even asking for compensation for all the wipes in raids/FP, unscheduled downtime, or loss of time due to rollbacks. That's a part of playing an MMO - it happens, and it's not fun, but it is what it is. I just ask you to please - fix the Harbinger. Address the server's overload. Set the queue threshold lower. Improve the hardware throughput. Do *something* to help keep the server a fun place to be a player.

Nekona
01.08.2013 , 02:01 PM | #2
Well written and not whiny! True respect to you. I agree whole-heatedly with what you hae said here. Why are there so many easy coast servers and only one West Coast anyways. Please open another server bioware. We want to enjoy the game too!

Dalethor
01.08.2013 , 02:25 PM | #3
I would have to agree with all of the OP's statements and arguments. The Harbinger server is for whatever reason the default reroll server for all of the West Coast, as well as much of the PAC folks that still play, and there's a significant number still.

What I would like to understand is why nothing has been done to address this possiblility; this has been an ongoing issue for some time now, with no apparent reaction from Bioware or whoever would be taking charge of addressing these issues. I understand that theres going to be some hiccups with server reorganizations, but that was months ago, and the problems have been escalating since, with today the server's entire service modes, mail, GTN, Cartel Market, and more being unusable or at the least unstable and requiring "workarounds" to be of any use whatsoever.

For the money being spent on subs, Cartel Market coins and so on, I would have expected Bioware to have implemented infrastucture fixes to throughput and queue thresholds far sooner than this. This would be a smart choice for them, as it would go a long way keeping current subs happy, and encouraging current f2p players to be subs, thus protecting the long term viability of the game.

I hope that these posts present Bioware with some thought provoking topics to think on, and ACT on as well, I hope to see some kind of meaningful response soon.

Thanks.
There is no cake, there are only cookies, and occasionally, if we're lucky, pie.

Kiniski
01.08.2013 , 02:35 PM | #4
I hope anybody read this, but, is good idea to put it also in facebook, game news pages, etc. because may be, may be, some BioWare guy read it and may be, may be, they change something.

TASIO
01.08.2013 , 02:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dalethor View Post
I would have to agree with all of the OP's statements and arguments. The Harbinger server is for whatever reason the default reroll server for all of the West Coast, as well as much of the PAC folks that still play, and there's a significant number still.

What I would like to understand is why nothing has been done to address this possiblility; this has been an ongoing issue for some time now, with no apparent reaction from Bioware or whoever would be taking charge of addressing these issues. I understand that theres going to be some hiccups with server reorganizations, but that was months ago, and the problems have been escalating since, with today the server's entire service modes, mail, GTN, Cartel Market, and more being unusable or at the least unstable and requiring "workarounds" to be of any use whatsoever.

For the money being spent on subs, Cartel Market coins and so on, I would have expected Bioware to have implemented infrastucture fixes to throughput and queue thresholds far sooner than this. This would be a smart choice for them, as it would go a long way keeping current subs happy, and encouraging current f2p players to be subs, thus protecting the long term viability of the game.

I hope that these posts present Bioware with some thought provoking topics to think on, and ACT on as well, I hope to see some kind of meaningful response soon.

Thanks.
Agree with what the man said!

Kiniski
01.08.2013 , 02:39 PM | #6
Well, withs respect, please, I going to copy paste this everywhere, if you don't mind.

SturmUndSterne
01.08.2013 , 06:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiniski View Post
Well, withs respect, please, I going to copy paste this everywhere, if you don't mind.
Sentiment was given with respect, and for any who wish to read. I know we likely won't get an official response to this, but I'd even love a "thanks for your concern" short reply from Beesodd, letting us know that our concerns have been heard. I don't claim to be privy to any inside information, nor should I be - I'm not a BW employee. Knowing that the concerns have been heard would be enough for me.

As for readers, you may feel free to cut and paste at your desire.

danpen
01.08.2013 , 07:07 PM | #8
They will need to open a new sever for. Them like what been said
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.