Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can anyone take the empire seriously?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can anyone take the empire seriously?

INKICHAN
01.05.2013 , 09:07 AM | #61
its an mmo and my pubs n imps have prolly killed over a million sentient beings already personally how any npc consdiers by characters good is beyond me. that aside i do agree some of the DS are over the top. but the idea that this backstabbing society is hopelessly dsyfucntional from the start is kind of silly imo (of course).

i mean western/ roman history anybody? they basically gained western civilizatons definitive empire while having 2 variations on ruling power classes. senators then imperials... that spent their lives back stabbing each other undermining rivals and ruthlessly climbing to the top.

military commanders decimating their own units for failures was common.
and to be honest you can pretty much chalk up their expansion and peak to their own over the top ruthlesness and talent/focus on violence. as well as cartoonishly obvious evil diplomatic maneuvering to buy time just to come back n kill and mass enslave a more dangerous rival later.

throw in force super powers where one guy can solo conquer a planet or 2. and i find empire even with some of their terrible resource wasting behaviors to be completely viable. is it an eternal empire? no, but thinking it could have a pax sithana for a few centuries or millenia is utterly believeable to me.

the story so far has been believable so far for both sides for me anyway. except for the fact theyre all still chasing immortality on sith side, how could basic genetic research not have turned off the aging switch by now, for god sakes you can turn into a rakghoul in a few hours...who needs a planet galaxy killing ritual..

Velnora
01.05.2013 , 12:19 PM | #62
I hate the force user stories, they all seemed very small minded and petty, like if sith were in Mean Girls. I find it absolutely boring and simple that these sith are wrapped up attacking other individuals. I was hoping for a sith that wants to really help the empire and make a difference for the empire, instead I found petty high school girls sabotaging each other.

Mridc
01.07.2013 , 03:42 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by INKICHAN View Post
*snip*
military commanders decimating their own units for failures was common.
*snip*
It's funny you should use that word, because the word itself originates in the Roman practice of killing a tenth of your troops to punish them for cowardice or failure.

Anyway, since they're the token bad guys obviously the Sith come across as comically cruel idiots. Lucas said he modeled the Empire after Nazi Germany. What people fail to take into account however is that pre-war Germany was not a bad place to live in if you were just a regular German and did not belong to one of the persecuted groups. This is why the Empire comes across as comically evil, because they treat everyone like crap, including their apparently so beloved Humans. Maybe this is being done so the bad guy always loses in the end... but the real Empire could not have worked for so long on a basis of random cruelty and violence. You have to give people a purpose, something they all unite for. And "if you don't get killed, you can maybe get a bit of power" doesn't cut it.

There are so many times where you just cannot believe how little sense a set of choices made. Where the Light side option is the only way out because the Dark choice is just too illogical or plain stupid.
And I found the SI story line to be insanely boring to be honest.
Spoiler

Kaedusz
01.07.2013 , 11:11 PM | #64
The point of the SI is not ''schemes'' its a quest for power.Mainly in the force and a little bit otherwise.Go to imperial agent if you want ''schemes''.
SI is about going after artifacts of great power,then going up in the ladder until you get to the Dark Council.
That spirit siphoning thing and going after the artifacts Zash send you to find is exactly what i expected and liked about the SI.

Can't belive people still complain about and use the palpatine ''there was not any backstabing and schemes in the SI story'' argument.

Merras
01.17.2013 , 08:35 PM | #65
I have a SI at the beginning of Chapter 3, and an Agent at the beginning of Chapter 1.

I can't take the Empire / the Sith seriously. All the Sith Lords I met in these storylines are complete morons. Idiots who needs serious medical care. I can't imagine how the Empire can running - as I see they have no chance againts the Jedi / Republic.

Glided
01.18.2013 , 02:01 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
Wait - we take games seriously...?
Summarizes this discussion

Arutar
01.18.2013 , 04:37 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly.
As an Empire player, I can agree to some extent. It should be noted, however that many imperials (npc) in the game do realize and acknowledge that the empire does need a more "sane leadership".

In fact, if you are a playing light sided sith, achiving auch a leadership is basically the goal of the game.

When is comes to the sith / jedi codes, however, ill take the sith code (which revoles about freedom) any day over the jedi nonsense (emotions are bad!).

SithKoriandr
01.18.2013 , 04:51 AM | #68
1) Loved the SI storyline myself. Though I only see my SI taking the position at the end, as a way to kill off the others and make changes to the system from within. Of course, that would only end up in failure, as we've seen the outcome of the Star Wars universe already

2) Yes the Empire is dumb. The Republic isn't much better. But after showing numerous times that my BH won't/doesn't serve the Empire, and even after throwing away years and years and YEARS of hard work and gift giving to the Voss with a little sentence, they still hire her and want her to work for them, even though she's been willing to ruin every major Empire plot that she can.

kijthae
01.18.2013 , 08:14 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
My main is a 50 sentinel and has been since I've been playing SWTOR. Recently, however, I've started playing a marauder so I can experience the other side of the story. And as I'm leveling up and doing all the quests, I keep thinking, "How can anyone take the empire seriously?"

I know this is Star Wars and other than Anakin and Revan most evil in the universe is pretty cartoonish. But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly. I've heard a lot that part of the reason the empire has more players is because the stories are better.

Really? When?

Because even though I'm having fun playing my marauder, the writing is really after school cartoon quality. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Sith and not an agent or a bounty hunter. I hear that the IA story is one of the best in the game. While the Force users have really hokey stories.

I can believe that. Because as I said before, I'm left wondering how anyone can take the empire seriously at all.
This is valid for republic too and for other games too. Computer games are becoming stupid and more childish narrationionaly.

Im missing games like :
Vampire the masqurade
Metal Gear Solid
Baldurs Gate
Fallout2
Longest Journey
Monkey Island
REdneck Rampage ( not great stroy but great humor )
mdk 2

TurtlesAWD
01.18.2013 , 04:00 PM | #70
Considering it's based on the British empire of the 19th and 20th centuries you may as well ask how anyone took that seriously.